Keythedral» Forums » General

Subject: Keythedral suitable as next step after gateway games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making a reference list for BGGers about this question: What games are suitable for people who enjoy Settlers of Catan (the social aspects of the trading, the negotiation, interaction, and the civilization building and resource management), and are looking for something similar or for the next step? The criteria: * Good with 4 players * Plays in 1-2 hours * Not too much heavier than Settlers of Catan, but nothing lighter * A fun interactive experience * Not too dry/abstract.
Keythedral is one of the 25 games I've selected for the list.
Do you think Keythedral would appeal to players coming from Settlers of Catan, and why or why not? To what extent would it be a good choice for this purpose?

Here's the information I currently have on the list for Keythedral, which I submit for the comment and correction of people who have played the game.

-------------BEGIN LIST COMMENT-------------
BGG Weight: 2.85; Rating: 7.31; Rank: #78
Designer: Richard Breese
Players: 2-5 Just with two: Yes
Cost: $39.95 Duration: 90 minutes
Complexity:
Mechanics: Auction and resource management
Description: Medieval city building in five stages
Review: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/14471
Theme:
Luck: Low-medium
Confrontation (Vicious factor): High
Tension:
Interaction:
Social:
Components:
Comparisons: Spoken of as Settlers of Catan on steroids

Is this really an “advanced Settlers of Catan”? Does it have less randomness and more viciousness? How does it compare with Elasund?
-------------END LIST COMMENT-------------

Keythedral is #16 on the list, I would ask that you please add any comments on its suitability there (although any corrections to the above information can be placed here), since that's where they'll get the highest visibility and be most beneficial to others. Hopefully the list will prove useful as a point of reference to others in the future as well, so feel free to comment on any of the other suggested possibilities on the list as well.

The Ultimate Next Step List: What should you choose after Settlers of Catan?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17146
#16 Keythedral

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Harkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Keythedral, but I suspect it feels a bit too similar for players that have only played settlers.

I think you would want to widen the spectrum of new gamers, and not let them think that all games are similar. When they have played several gateway games (like Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Blokus) and enjoyed Settlers the most, this would seem a very good option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think this is a reasonable choice. Much more nasty than Settlers.

On the downside, the initial placement of tiles part of the game is hard to understand before you've played. So it is entirely possible the first game for a group won't be much fun; if the group will be turned off from the game for good after this then that's a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think this game is entirely appropriate as a "next step" game. The ruleset is heavier than something like "Settlers" or "Ticker to Ride", but in my experience even non-gamers internalize this game's rules by turn 2.

Good example, my sister is extremely put off by games like "Modern Art" and "Colossal Arena", but has loved Keythedral since her first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.