Antike» Forums » General

Subject: Antike suitable as next step after gateway games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making a reference list for BGGers about this question: What games are suitable for people who enjoy Settlers of Catan (the social aspects of the trading, the negotiation, interaction, and the civilization building and resource management), and are looking for something similar or for the next step? The criteria: * Good with 4 players * Plays in 1-2 hours * Not too much heavier than Settlers of Catan, but nothing lighter * A fun interactive experience * Not too dry/abstract.
Antike is one of the 25 games I've selected for the list.
Do you think Antike would appeal to players coming from Settlers of Catan, and why or why not? To what extent would it be a good choice for this purpose?

Here's the information I currently have on the list for Antike, which I submit for the comment and correction of people who have played the game.

-------------BEGIN LIST COMMENT-------------
BGG Weight: 3.08; Rating: 7.34; Rank: #73
Designer: Mac Gerdts
Players: 2-6 (good with 4-6) Just with two: Yes, two kingdoms each
Cost: $47.95 Duration: 120 minutes
Complexity: Medium
Mechanics:
Description: Strategic ancient empire building game with diplomacy, economics, warfare
Video: http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/?p=20
Theme:
Luck:
Confrontation (Vicious factor): Medium
Tension:
Interaction:
Social:
Components:
Comparisons: Serenissima, Vinci

Are there better civilization games that run in 2 hours or less? How does it compare with Serenissima and Vinci? How much conflict does it have?
-------------END LIST COMMENT-------------

Antike is #19 on the list, I would ask that you please add any comments on its suitability there (although any corrections to the above information can be placed here), since that's where they'll get the highest visibility and be most beneficial to others. Hopefully the list will prove useful as a point of reference to others in the future as well, so feel free to comment on any of the other suggested possibilities on the list as well.

The Ultimate Next Step List: What should you choose after Settlers of Catan?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17146
#19 Antike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is. Yes. The rules are clean and easy to understand, and while there is great depth to Antike, there also are clear targets to shoot for. The resource acquisition is similar to Settlers too, if all deterministic. And a little added conflict never hurt anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to Antike.

Vinci is also good.

Both have easy-to-learn rules. So participation is not difficult. Winning on the other hand is quite different. Antike has many paths to victory, while Vinci has fewer winning strategies, and so I think is harder to learn to win (or do well enough in to feel satisfied over multiple plays).

So for gateway gamers, I'd start with Antike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano Santuari
Italy
Trento
flag msg tools
mb
Have both Antike and Vinci
I like much more Antike because gameplay is more articulated (Vinci has good rules but seems a bit "flat" while Antike has more mechanics).
Both games have clean rules, but compared Antike looks richer than Vinci.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.