Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Gillette
United States
Battle Ground
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off let me start by staying I hate Wil Weston. Before you start to flame me. Watch any episode of call for help with him or subscribe to his twitter. Okay that is out there. After watching the episode I went from wanting the game to OK now I am ordering it right away. That show is the best. It is helping the hobby big time. I hope the show goes on for ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'd have to say they didn't even do the best job with this one, it's much more fun than they lead on and the negotiation portion is much deeper. You can negotiate a lot of different things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daen Dubrulle
Belgium
Limburg
flag msg tools
Yeah, when I saw the Tabletop video of Sheriff appear on Youtube, I was like "Awesome, Wil playing one off the funniest deduction games"
But the episode didn't translate well on how the game really is. It felt a little artificial. But maybe my standards were too high. The tabletop episode wherw they play The Resistance, that one was fun as hell.
I also suggest watching the Dicetower gameplay video of Sheriff, it is also very entertaining in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Brown
United States
Middleton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the Board With Life bit on SoN. It was better than TableTop. I enjoyed both though. And...I have ordered it. It should arrive tomorrow! Can't wait. On a side note, the "Weaton Effect" doesn't seem to have taken hold. The price on Amazon has been floating around a few dollars below MSRP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samual Grieve
United Kingdom
Newport
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other end of the scale the Tabletop video for this was the final thing that led me to removing this game from my wants list. It seemed extremely dry and long for so little actually gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Westrope
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
grievy wrote:
On the other end of the scale the Tabletop video for this was the final thing that led me to removing this game from my wants list. It seemed extremely dry and long for so little actually gameplay.

I would suggest that the game does have a good gameplay to time ratio and is very enjoyable to play.

Even if you don't add it back onto your 'want' list, I would certainly keep it on a 'to play if ever there's an opportunity' list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's crazy, I watched that episode of Tabletop and didn't think they did a great job selling people on that game. I think many Sheriff fans agreed with me. Yet people who have never played the game seem to think it looks awesome! It shows the strength of this game.

*edit Everyone other than Samual, I guess... LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samual Grieve
United Kingdom
Newport
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would still be happy to play it and try for myself for sure, unfortunately though I tend to be the purchaser in our group so that seems less likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interestingly, I had this on my amazon.com wishlist since I first heard about it via the Shut Up and Sit Down (SUSD) video review. But after watching it on Tabletop, I actually deleted it from my wishlist.

Having only read about it and not actually played the game, I'm pretty sure the game is alot more fun than Tabletop portrayed it to be. I think the fake accents and role-playing elements that Wil Wheaton and his guests tried to use are too over the top, it seemed forced and made it seem like that was where all the fun of game was. The negotiating was too one-on-one too. I think the fun part of the game would be in the tension from the bluffing and simultaneous and spontaneous negotiating. SUSD used the snap on the bags, as a tool to increase your negotiating power and increase tension.

I would still like to play it, but really don't feel like its a must buy after seeing the Tabletop Playthru.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daen Dubrulle
Belgium
flag msg tools
I suggest you watch the Dicetower playthrough then.
It also had the fake accents and role-playing, but not over the top.
There were also some really cool negotiations and bribes.

I like that video the most of all the playthrough videos. It is really funny and enjoyable to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dubious Dubbie wrote:

I like that video the most of all the playthrough videos. It is really funny and enjoyable to watch.

I agree 100%. Also, the more you play the game, the better it gets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
albynomonk wrote:
Dubious Dubbie wrote:

I agree 100%. Also, the more you play the game, the better it gets.

I don't disagree with either of you, I still want to try it. My comment was more about Wil Wheatons Tabletop not really showcasing the game to its fullest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the episode did not really do the game justice.

Then again, I think that this is one of those games where watching others play it and actually playing it for yourself cannot be compared at all - so I don't blame them.

This is also the exact reason why TableTop does not feature games like Dominion: the whole fun is mostly and directly happening in the player's seat and can look pretty boring for outsiders.

At least they tried to compensate with a bit of roleplaying and acting, so I think they did an overall good job - although I can see why people did not like this episode.

Anyways, great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin

Syracuse
New York
msg tools
Here's what I didn't understand from watching the episode: how did the person win by having next to no contraband? Isn't that completely against how the game works? What happened?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fdrpi wrote:
Here's what I didn't understand from watching the episode: how did the person win by having next to no contraband? Isn't that completely against how the game works? What happened?

You get bonus points for having majorities in goods:

Check the player tableaus on both sides, there are the bonuses for 1st and 2nd place ("King"/"Queen" bonus). If you share 1st place with someone, add the King and Queen bonus together and divide them by 2 (rounded down).

The winning player in that episode won by scoring a lot of these bonuses.

Going for these bonus points really adds a nice aspect of strategy to the game. I also like that the bigger bonuses are bound to the "mass" goods, as it is effectively harder to get the majority here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin

Syracuse
New York
msg tools
Well I knew that, but I still don't get how that won her the game with hardly any contraband. What normally happens in games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrie Rostollan
United States
Auburn
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashley got most of the bonuses on legal goods, which overwhelmed any extra money the other players got by sneaking contraband by the Sheriff(s).

She did very well, and I didn't expect her to win. Enjoyed the episode very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Niquilibrium wrote:
glouie wrote:
Interestingly, I had this on my amazon.com wishlist since I first heard about it via the Shut Up and Sit Down (SUSD) video review. But after watching it on Tabletop, I actually deleted it from my wishlist.

Having only read about it and not actually played the game, I'm pretty sure the game is alot more fun than Tabletop portrayed it to be. I think the fake accents and role-playing elements that Wil Wheaton and his guests tried to use are too over the top, it seemed forced and made it seem like that was where all the fun of game was. The negotiating was too one-on-one too. I think the fun part of the game would be in the tension from the bluffing and simultaneous and spontaneous negotiating. SUSD used the snap on the bags, as a tool to increase your negotiating power and increase tension.

I would still like to play it, but really don't feel like its a must buy after seeing the Tabletop Playthru.

The opportunity to be able to do the goofy accents and roleplay the characters is what really drew me to this game. That being said, I enjoy acting on stage and being a general goof. If you don't get into such you may not enjoy this type of game as much. I do think the game was severely shortchanged in the Tabletop video. The Dice Tower play through was much more fun and really have a feel of how the game should play.

Fair enough.. I'll meet you half way... I'm not big on acting in stage, but I'm good with being a general goof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.