Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Boes
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son (a college sophomore) is away at school. His bi-weekly RPG session often concludes with a little light board-gaming. With his permission, I'm posting his mini-review:

After finishing our Iron Heroes game, we settled down for something else. It's based off a webcomic I read once in a great while, and it plays a bit like a cross between Munchkin and Talisman. Each player controls a different member of the Order of the Stick, while any characters left over become NPCs. Here's the lowdown:

- You walk into a room.
- If there are no monsters or other players in the room, the player on your left plays a monster from their hand.
- If you need more monsters, keep going around the table to the left.
- You fight the monster.
- If you win, the monster drops loot in the room, and you can pick some of it up.
- Killing 3 points worth of monsters gets you a new Schtick (combat ability).
- You can trade loot to other players to get them to help you out in combat

After you get 10 Schticks and 7 loots, you can enter the 4th floor of the dungeon to try to find the boss. The dungeon crumbles, and whoever has the most points at the end, wins. That's the basics, but there's a lot more to it, like player vs. player, "Screw this!" cards, the Linear Guild, and the funny, funny single-panel comics on the cards.

The characters are very different, forcing you to adapt to different playing styles. The cleric can heal in exchange for loot, the bard gets bonuses when helping others out, the mage is much better at ranged combat, and the thief does best when he's screwing everyone over.

It's a great game, but gets the table very cluttered very fast. The rules are pretty easy once you get going, and the quick-start guide takes the form of an 8-page comic book. It does take about 4 hours, so don't start at 11:30 like I did...

- Nate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.