Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: kids [+] children [+] recommendations [+] monopoly [+] [View All]
old bag
United States
Unspecified
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
......but my 7.1/2 yr old son wants to play it lots. So what game out there is similar? He loves the money and adding buildings, being banker, collecting rent. So is there another game like it that is parent friendly, not too confrontational, and for a min of 2 or 3 players?

Also as Thanksgiving is coming up he is excited about playing lots of games so I'd like to purchase some new games that play longer than our current ones. I have been thing of Cleopatra and the Society of Architects, Around the World in 80 Days, Shadows over Camelot and Settlers of Catan.

So what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6 1/2 YO daughter also loves the experience of being banker. Don't know what to tell you tho on that one, as so far she hasn't been able to handle Power Grid, Traders of Genoa, or Industrial Waste When she wants to be banker we play Monopoly Jr (ugh from me) or Sword and Skull (not QUITE as bad as Monopoly Jr, but still not an enjoyable parent experience). If anyone out there has some GOOD games that let kids be the banker, I'd love to hear more suggestions.

What games does your son play now? My daughter is just starting to get into the non-kid games and REALLY understand how to play. She likes Ticket to Ride (with all cards face up and one destination ticket at a time), For Sale, Memoir '44 (young generals variant from the manual), Hey That's My Fish, and Emerald. I would say if he's been playing VERY light Euros like the above (and Carc, Transamerica, Ingenious, and so on), then you might try Settlers or Around the World in 80 days. Shadows over Camelot might work, but it has a LOT going on for a small kid to keep track of. I might suggest Alhambra too, I'm going to try that with 6YO daughter soon and see if she can handle it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
I like a yearly playing of Monopoly, but wouldn't want to play it all the time.

A game that is not too hard to find that is similar is Fast Food Franchise, and also Chinatown(but really hard to find). But for easy to find games, I'd try Ra, For Sale or maybe High Society. Those would be good starter. Also truthfully, you can't beat Bohnanza as a ween off monopoly, lots of evil trading and set collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Railroad Tycoon. It's better with more players but certainly playable with two or three. It has a banker who deals with money and shares. You get to add little trains on the board instead of houses & hotels. It's not terribly confrontational, and would be even less so with fewer players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find it, Roller Coaster Tycoon has alot of similar features, is a better game, and has a better theme for that age.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Acquire seems like a natural fit. Has money management/banking, and buildings.

Completely different genres but also games that have money management and banking... you may want to consider one of the Crayon Rail games (Empire Builder / Eurorails / Iron Dragon / etc) .. and if the child's vocabulary is coming along, Buyword (probably a little ambitious for a 7 1/2 year old). Neither one is very confrontational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Took the words out of my mouth - acquire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boomtown. You build mines, get payoffs, add saloons (and saloon girls) that extract wages from others' mines, you gain political power (and collect tribute) when you dominate a district.

My daughter loves it and she started playing about a month after her 8th birthday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if its still available, but Shark might be a good choice. Its similar to Acquire but its simpler. It also has dice rolling which may make it seem more like Monopoly. And certainly someone has to be banker.

edit, oh and it has placing bulidings too. They may be functionally identical to the tiles in Acquire, but they look like builidings.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
I don't know if its still available, but Shark might be a good choice. Its similar to Acquire but its simpler. It also has dice rolling which may make it seem more like Monopoly. And certainly someone has to be banker.

edit, oh and it has placing bulidings too. They may be functionally identical to the tiles in Acquire, but they look like builidings.meeple

Shark is a real good game. I will say though, it has a bunch of nastiness to it. You wreck people's financial situation in this and is confrontational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like Monopoly then!

I do play with a house rule that destroyed buildings aren't permanently out of the game. That reduces the nastiness somewhat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Haskell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My dislike of Monopoly today is not proportional to the love I had for it when I was a kid. I have fond memories of rolling dice and moving those metal pieces. Heck, just being able to use the race car made my day. You shouldn't be a snob about anything and some games definitely are appropriate at certain times. In the context of playing with your kid Monopoly ROCKS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like Monopoly, AKA The Energizer Bunny Game (it keeps going and going). I don't mind the style of game, but I don't want to be playing it for hours and hours. There is an out of print game called Klondike (the 1975 version) that solves that problem.

It is about a gold rush town. Half the board is set aside for the mining activities, and the other half of the board is the boom town. The rents on the buildings are sky-high and many of them pay off your investment the first time someone lands on them, however, when the gold runs out, the town becomes a ghost town and the buildings are worthless. The player with the most money wins. If you go bankrupt, you pay whatever you have and get sent to the woodpile to continue play. It is hard to win once you go bankrupt, but I've seen it happen.

There is currently a copy of this available on ebay, and I think it may solve your problem. BTW, I'm not selling the copy; I wouldn't sell my copy as it is a very good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yeh Fang
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Tallyhoyall wrote:
......but my 7.1/2 yr old son wants to play it lots. So what game out there is similar? He loves the money and adding buildings, being banker, collecting rent. So is there another game like it that is parent friendly, not too confrontational, and for a min of 2 or 3 players?

Also as Thanksgiving is coming up he is excited about playing lots of games so I'd like to purchase some new games that play longer than our current ones. I have been thing of Cleopatra and the Society of Architects, Around the World in 80 Days, Shadows over Camelot and Settlers of Catan.

So what do you think?

Caylus.

No wait, while tongue-in-cheek, it really does fit your criteria! There's money, there's adding buildings, there could be a sort of "banker" king, and you collect rent in the form of prestige points and an extra cube. Definitely parent friendly, not too confrontational (just the provost really), and it's min 2 players.

It also plays a bit longer as well, esp. with more people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Monopoly is a much deeper game than it appears. There have been serious tournament of this game for many years, and for good reason.

With two players, one being a kid though... not too fun.

I also like handling play money! Hmmm... Acquire might be a bit dry from a kid... I"m trying to think of a more colorful game that has plenty of nice crisp bills in it and is actually good.

Tycoon games aren't a bad idea... maybe try a whole new direction and check out Heroscape?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
diamondspider wrote:

I also like handling play money! Hmmm... Acquire might be a bit dry from a kid... I"m trying to think of a more colorful game that has plenty of nice crisp bills in it and is actually good.

Acquire has crisp colorful bills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I haven't seen more recent versions, but the version I used to play was just a grid with little plastic blocks that could stack on the board and play money (read: very boring looking) As a young kid, I loved colorful boards with lots going on.

That is probably why Hasbro has created 1.2 zillion versions of Monopoly with little changed except the graphics.

My bet is that the average kid would like a game like Pirates Cove or even Pirates of the Caribbean Life a lot just due to the colorful board... not that these games are particuarly riveting to hardcore gamers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can say from personal experience, that Aquire isn't the best game for a kid. Assuming that he can keep his interest on it (not that big a problem from my point of view), the real challenge is that to do well requires some non-linear thinking that I don't think a 7-year-old is ready for (I wasn't...).

Along with the other suggestions, you may want to think about the crayon rail series (check Empire Builder first). It's pretty simple, has money, and the 'drawing' aspect may go over well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
diamondspider wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

I haven't seen more recent versions, but the version I used to play was just a grid with little plastic blocks that could stack on the board and play money (read: very boring looking) As a young kid, I loved colorful boards with lots going on.

I have to think that colourful boards with lots going on was exactly what they were going for with the newer edition.

Rindis wrote:
Along with the other suggestions, you may want to think about the crayon rail series (check Empire Builder first). It's pretty simple, has money, and the 'drawing' aspect may go over well.

Along with the other suggestions? I already suggested these!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Along with the other suggestions? I already suggested these!

Whoops! So you did! Missed that completely. cool ( <= blind in this case...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There is a Kramer game called Tycoon which is 5X as good as Monopoly. It's an economic game with paper money in demominations of Million$ so there is certainly even more fun in being the banker. You fly around the world with your little jet airplane building hotels and factories... you take out loans and pay them back... with interest. Properties values gradually rise and then decline in value once cities get overcrowded. The game has multiple paths to victory and the game plays quickly in 60-90 minutes tops.

I rate Acquire and Tycoon to be likely the best two Monopoly killers but Tycoon especially as it feels familiar to anyone who has ever played Monopoly. I have made a specific point of asking EVERYONE I have played Tycoon with how they liked it compared to Monopoly and without exception they all said it was better.

The only bad point is that it's OOP so it's not that easy to find unless you scour Ebay.de or try to purchase from someone here on BGG.

You can also try it out for free online at:

http://www.hilinski.net/games/online/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Not to go on and on.. but I was just thinking that if a company like Days of Wonder were to pick up the OOP Tycoon and glam it up with some better shiney bits... nice 3D hotels & factory pieces to place on little 3D representations of the 9 worldwide cities complete with landing strips for the jet airplanes this game would be an instant frontrunner for SdJ.

It has an almost perfect blend of luck, strategy and tactics and makes a great family game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Feldman
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Another game that came to my mind (in addition to Acquire) is Careers (Careers). It's roll and move, good for two, has paper money, but is alot more playable than Monopoly in my opinion. It even is made by Parker Brothers! Thrift around and you should be able to find it cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire, definitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would St. Petersburg work? (don't think I've seen it suggested yet). There's definately a good deal of play money handling. Building stuff, although it's all on cards. It's pretty easy to learn and should be kid-friendly, but there's enough 'meat' for adults.

I'll also my add my vote to the settlers series, especially starfarers if he likes sci-fi stuff (or just insane amount of bits )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.