Shadows over Camelot» Forums » General

Subject: Shad Over Camelot suitable as next step after gateway games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making a reference list for BGGers about this question: What games are suitable for people who enjoy Settlers of Catan (the social aspects of the trading, the negotiation, interaction, and the civilization building and resource management), and are looking for something similar or for the next step? The criteria: * Good with 4 players * Plays in 1-2 hours * Not too much heavier than Settlers of Catan, but nothing lighter * A fun interactive experience * Not too dry/abstract.
Shadows Over Camelot is one of the 25 games I've selected for the list.
Do you think Shadows Over Camelot would appeal to players coming from Settlers of Catan, and why or why not? To what extent would it be a good choice for this purpose?

Here's the information I currently have on the list for Shadows Over Camelot, which I submit for the comment and correction of people who have played the game.

-------------BEGIN LIST COMMENT-------------
BGG Weight: 2.40 ; Rating: 7.35; Rank: #72
Designer: Serge Laget & Bruno Cathala
Players: 3-7 (best with 5-7, good with 4-7) Just with two: No
Cost: $35 (thoughthammer) Duration: 90 minutes
Complexity: Low-medium
Mechanics: Card based
Description: Cooperative Arthurian game
Review: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/67647
Theme: High – doesn’t get much better!
Luck: Medium – depends on card draw
Confrontation (Vicious factor): Medium
Tension: Medium – the traitor increases tension and fun
Interaction: High
Social: High
Components: Superb
Comparisons: More accessible than Knizia’s cooperative Lord of the Rings game

Despite the high production, is this game really too simple? Is it basically a card game? Will it stand up to repeated play in our group?
-------------END LIST COMMENT-------------

Shadows Over Camelot is #5 on the list, I would ask that you please add any comments on its suitability there (although any corrections to the above information can be placed here), since that's where they'll get the highest visibility and be most beneficial to others. Hopefully the list will prove useful as a point of reference to others in the future as well, so feel free to comment on any of the other suggested possibilities on the list as well.

The Ultimate Next Step List: What should you choose after Settlers of Catan?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17146
#5 Shadows Over Camelot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Shad Over Camelot suitable as next step after gateway ga
    Very suitable for the list. I have done Shadows with new gamers and it went over quite well. Most are amused that you don't play against each other. A nice choice for the list.

Doesn't hurt that it's so damn pretty.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great Choice for the list! Of course, make sure players understand this is not a strategy game in the vein of Settlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.