Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lorenzo pettinari
Italy
Fermo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I own Castles of burgundy and bora bora , I love them.
I didn't like brugge so much.

So, can you help me choosing between Luna Aquasphere and ItYotD ?
If you had to choose zone, which one?

Is Aquasphere better? Does it reimplement one of them in your opinion?

Since only Aquasphere is avaiable, I'd love to know if it is enough for the "non Feld dice games" in my collection.

Thank you very much!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lollixo wrote:

Since only Aquasphere is avaiable, I'd love to know if it is enough for the "non Feld dice games" in my collection.

Thank you very much!!

Imo, you should invest a little bit more and buy Luna.. It's Feld's best game, imo of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
SapoLJackson wrote:
lollixo wrote:

Thank you very much!!

Imo, you should invest a little bit more and buy Luna.. It's Feld's best game, imo of course.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHRIS HALVORSON
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luna is better IMO, But I suggest Trajan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the year of the Dragon is one of my favorite games.

Aquasphere and Luna are similar to each other, but neither one is all that similar to ItYotD.

And of course, I have to recommend the one TMG publishes... you should get Aquasphere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milenaguberinic wrote:
SapoLJackson wrote:
lollixo wrote:

Thank you very much!!

+1

+2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
milenaguberinic wrote:
SapoLJackson wrote:
lollixo wrote:

Thank you very much!!

+1

+3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lorenzo pettinari
Italy
Fermo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all! I really appreciate. So, ityotd is totally different. And for the other two, I have to find a copy of luna or at least Aquasphere. OK!

Just another question, which one plays best in 2? I think all of them work well basing on what I read on reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
All 3 of them are equally good with two players. We almost always play with two.

Out of the three, by far my favorite is In the Year of the Dragon. But that is also by far the worst as a 2-player game to the point where I believe it to be unplayable at that count.

And I do like all 3 of the games.

In the Year of the Dragon strongly relies on the tension between focusing on initiative (i.e., turn order control) vs. focusing on gaining more powerful helpers. This tension is ruined in a two player game because the way the randomness in the game works means it is nearly 50-50 each round as to whether or not turn order matters or not. The randomness is much less likely to be impactful in a 5 player game.

I've played AquaSphere with 2 and while it is less strong at this count than it is with 4, it works just fine. I have not played Luna with only 2 players so a wiser version of me would not hazard a guess, but you are in luck today and I will say that it seems likely to me that Luna would work beautifully as a 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
We love Luna with 2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luna, the Poster Child game for a Kickstart project, just don't give it to Queen Games.

I don't care what it compares to, I want it.

Feld's Greatest hits?
The Castles of Burgundy
Trajan
Notre Dame

All good 2 player games.

Ah, rats, http://www.boardgamebliss.com/products/notre-dame-import?var... German copy, but not a problem. Might be tied with TYotD rating wise with me. Worth looking at.

If someone in Germany wishes to sent me even a used German copy of Luna, feel free. Boardgamebliss was importing them, up, I think, until this summer, then their German source dried up. German to US shipping a deal breaker trying it yourself.

I am still not sold on AquaSphere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aquasphere has less randomness than Bora Bora or Castles of Burgundy. It's more like Trajan or Luna in that way.

Aquasphere is pretty damn good. I'd put it in with Trajan, Bora and Castles as his top games. Luna is also good but not worth paying extra due to scarcity in my opinion. In The Year Of The Dragon is not one of my Feld favorites, but its still an average or slightly above average Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Nakamoto
United States
Montrose
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danamark wrote:
Ah, rats, http://www.boardgamebliss.com/products/notre-dame-import?var... German copy, but not a problem.

Rats? Notre Dame? I see what you did there. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wavedog98 wrote:
Aquasphere has less randomness than Bora Bora or Castles of Burgundy. It's more like Trajan or Luna in that way.

Aquasphere is pretty damn good. I'd put it in with Trajan, Bora and Castles as his top games. Luna is also good but not worth paying extra due to scarcity in my opinion. In The Year Of The Dragon is not one of my Feld favorites, but its still an average or slightly above average Euro.

Wow, this is exactly my opinion as well. I really like Aquasphere quite a bit. It's in my top 3 Felds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart De Vlieger
Belgium
Merelbeke
Unspecified
flag msg tools
My personal top 3 of Stefan Feld's games:
1. Aquasphere
2. In The Year Of The Dragon
3. Trajan

I've played Luna only once, and didn't like that game so much. It's better than Bora Bora, The Castles Of Burgundy and Rialto (in my opinion), because there's no luck (dice or random drawing of cards) involved.

The problem with Luna however, was some randomness (or limitation) in the centre of its play, that i didn't like at all. It kept me from playing it more than once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lorenzo pettinari
Italy
Fermo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I can summarize:

- In the Year of the Dragon: worth if it is played mostly in more than 3 players

- Luna: very good in 2, it is not like other games, it has very original mechanics

- Aquasphere: maybe not so "wow" but very interesting, it plays well in 2.

Mh, that's a good choice.

What about replay value of this 3?
I must have read somewhere that Luna and ItYotD have good replay value, but I'm not so sure about Aquasphere (I saw Rahdo's rinthrough but he played a demo copy, not sure if somewhat changed!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danamark wrote:
Luna, the Poster Child game for a Kickstart project, just don't give it to Queen Games.

I don't care what it compares to, I want it.

Feld's Greatest hits?
The Castles of Burgundy
Trajan
Notre Dame

All good 2 player games.

Ah, rats, http://www.boardgamebliss.com/products/notre-dame-import?var... German copy, but not a problem. Might be tied with TYotD rating wise with me. Worth looking at.

If someone in Germany wishes to sent me even a used German copy of Luna, feel free. Boardgamebliss was importing them, up, I think, until this summer, then their German source dried up. German to US shipping a deal breaker trying it yourself.

I am still not sold on AquaSphere

While Luna was readily available until last year, it's now out of print in Germany as well. Shipping to the US is between 20 and 50$, depending on package size.

Luna is fine with two, better than ItYoD. But I think it is best with 4, since only then the interaction really shines.
Luna has a random setup and great replay value, as long as you do not mind a very thinky game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lollixo wrote:

Thank you very much!!

Ranking those 3 for me is:

1. Luna
2. AquaSphere
3. In The Year of the Dragon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
lollixo wrote:

Thank you very much!!

Ranking those 3 for me is:

1. Luna
2. AquaSphere
3. In The Year of the Dragon

Which means you should republish Luna whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Yum
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
SapoLJackson wrote:
lollixo wrote:

Thank you very much!!

I, for one, welcome our new Moon Priestess overlor... overlady!

All hail Luna !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
California
flag msg tools
Luna is the only Feld I own, and despite the unique theme (or according to my gaming group, non-existent theme), I've managed to get it to the table a lot. Although the kind of point salad approach is a little bit off-putting, over time I've found Luna to have a coherant set of at least slightly diverging goals. In some ways, it feels like playing a few different mini-games that provide feedback to each other. In addition, I find the player interaction to be fantastic: not necessarily subtle (or like in many Eurogames, needing a player to take a fall), but also requiring experience to fully grasp.

That said, I have been considering AquaSphere for a long time as my second Feld game (well, really I considered it as my first sometime last year). Trajan seems almost too much like a point-salad, and I'm not sure I could see my friends wanting to invest too much in learning a game like Bora Bora.

I know at some point I probably just need to read these replies and make a decision, but could anyone tell me if AquaSphere has a great enough feel difference from Luna that it would make a good second Feld? Like, is there a notable risk that after a game, the conclusion will be "well, I liked that, but it felt a lot like Luna"?

The colors, theme (I like games that suggest a theme and leave room for imagination), and the programming all appeal to me, but in the end, I worry that it feels like the game I already own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend watching the video reviews with some play through to inform your decision, as your viewpoint on Luna is not typical. I feel like they are fundamentally different, but rather than me listing the reasons, I would point you to Joel Eddy's (eekamouse) review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
All 3 of them are equally good with two players. We almost always play with two.

ItYotD and Luna are also very confrontational, if that is an issue.
AquaSphere is too, but doesn't feel quite as nasty as the other two.

I can't speak for Luna, but the other two are much better with 3+ than with two. Aquasphere has too little interaction with only two. ItYotD has too much luck with only two based on how the actions each month are arranged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.