Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir and Battle Cry have simple plastic mini's, and I would like to have something similar for my Commands & Colors. Is there a resource out there where I can buy affordable miniatures to replace the blocks? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a link to John Foley's excellent fansite where he has links to PDFs of variant figure lists to replace the blocks that have been posted to BGG.

http://www.thewargamer.com/ccancients/gaming.html#components

The cheapest route would likely be buying boxes of plastic 1:72 scale toy soldiers, replacing 1 block with 1 figure. There is a picture in the gallery here of a guy who did this, gluing figures to round bases then painting the bases in the color of the unit.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/114407

It looks like he used mostly figures made by HaT. They have an extensive Punic Wars range. Look for retailers that sell plastic toy soldiers to find them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use figures from old "Feudal" games with the base pegs cut off. They fit well on the board and are easy to handle.

Also, the "Feudal" sets come in three different tints of two colors each: tan/brown/dark brown and light blue/medium blue/dark blue-grey. Substitute these for green/blue/red and you have your light/medium/heavy differentiation.

One box of "Feudal" figures contains these six colors of figures. Each color tint includes one Archer, one Squire (useful for a Slinger), four Spearmen, two Sergeants (shield and hand axe), two mounted Knights (sword/shield), one mounted "Duke" (upraised Axe/Shield) and one "Prince" (Lance/shield). There is also one "King" on foot (standing stiffly with upraised sword and grounded shield). And there is one "Castle" for each side, actually only a three-sided crenelated wall on a base. Again, there are six of these sets in each "Feudal" game.

I use the Sergeants for barbarian infantry or to "round out" Slinger units (identified by the presence of a Squire or two as slinger). The figures are garbed for 7th-13th century, but at arm's length work fine for the Roman/Carthaginian period.

I did find it necessary to flesh out Slinger units with some foot figures from "Risk Godstorm," but a dozen or so of these, or a suitable alternative, will do.

Knowing "C&C Ancients" was coming with blocks for a while before it was released, I picked up "Feudal" games at yard sales and convention flea markets. I combined a total of seven sets for my "force pool."

The nice hard plastic four-section boards that come with "Feudal" come in handy as carrying trays for various purposes (when inverted), or as the basis for creating mounted boards for DTP or other paper games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the good advice on this post. I appreciate the
information!

The Hat plastic set prices out (the best price I could find)
at about $103.50 for both the Romans and Carthaginians. That's
probably about twice as much as I was hoping to pay. The other
option of tracking down Feudal boardgames and using those bits
could work, but I don't know how I could find 7 sets of that
particular game. Furthermore, I would need to track down
additional pieces to put it all together.

Still wish there was some manufacturer who provided an inexpensive
miniature set that could be used for C&C. It wouldn't have to
be of good quality - something like the figures in Memoir would
work. Oh well. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I don't know if this is the best place to post the information, but with so many "plastic-minis" threads it's not that easy to find it! Well, I think many of us agree that the main drawback of the 1/72 option was the chariots (for the elephants the Hat ones are not too big, and 6 per box is good). I've found these:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.asp?manu=NEX&code...

They are egyptian, but they are small AND you get 6 per box, so less than 1 euro/char and they fit in the hexagon. The best way to go I think is to replace the egyptian riders in the box by one (yes, they're small and there's only room for one) carthaginian/roman/greek/persian mini. I don't know if there are other solutions, but compared to the big persian chariot in my BGG pictures they are much smaller and cheaper!

Hope this helps,
Miguel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly what I did. Trimmed off some of the fluff from the horses and modified a couple of HaT Carthaginians. Not ideal, but they work in a pinch for the few scenarios that use them.

(edited to add image)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The chariots and elephants in Eagle's "Mythology" work fine. Worth picking up a copy for these applications alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.