Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Neff
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tackled my first scenario last night and I could use a clarification of a rule, just to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

I am trying to spot/determine LOS to an enemy in a particular terrain. When I try to spot, the terrain he is in is used to determine whether or not I can spot him (adding one to the roll if my sight passes through degrading terrain, etc).

If I want to fire and determine LOS, the terrain the enemy is in has no effect on LOS (and neither does the terrain I'm in, just whatever the LOS crosses between my hex and his hex).

In other words, suppose the enemy is in light woods, I'm in light woods and between us are five clear hexes. In order to spot, I need to roll 1-3 on 1d6. In order to fire, I have clear LOS with no modification to my die roll.

Now let's put a small patch of brush in the way of the LOS. In order to spot, I roll 1-3 on 1d6 and add one to the roll for the brush hex. In order to fire, I have LOS but subtract one from the roll because it passes through the degrading brush. And because of the light woods, the enemy gets to add +1 (per TEC) to his roll. Suppose an additional hex of brush was in the way, to spot I now roll 1-3 on 1d6 plus 2 for the 2 hexes of degrading terrain (one more hex and LOS would be blocked). If I spot and decide to fire, I subtract 2 from my roll for the 2 hexes of brush.

Is this correct?

Lastly, what is meant by "...if it passes through the silhouette of Degrading terrain that is in part of an otherwise open hex"?
My understanding is that if the terrain overhangs the outline of a hex and your LOS passes through that overhang, then it is degraded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Granvold
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neffchiro wrote:
I tackled my first scenario last night and I could use a clarification of a rule, just to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Congratulations. I hope that you enjoyed it.

Quote:
I am trying to spot/determine LOS to an enemy in a particular terrain. When I try to spot, the terrain he is in is used to determine whether or not I can spot him (adding one to the roll if my sight passes through degrading terrain, etc).

If I want to fire and determine LOS, the terrain the enemy is in has no effect on LOS (and neither does the terrain I'm in, just whatever the LOS crosses between my hex and his hex).

Correct, but as you note below the terrian the enemy is in does effect fire.

Quote:
In other words, suppose the enemy is in light woods, I'm in light woods and between us are five clear hexes. In order to spot, I need to roll 1-3 on 1d6. In order to fire, I have clear LOS with no modification to my die roll.

Yes for spotting. For firing there is no modifier to the attacker's die roll (assuming no leader is involved), but the defender would add +1 to his die roll due to the TM of the light woods.

Quote:
Now let's put a small patch of brush in the way of the LOS. In order to spot, I roll 1-3 on 1d6 and add one to the roll for the brush hex. In order to fire, I have LOS but subtract one from the roll because it passes through the degrading brush. And because of the light woods, the enemy gets to add +1 (per TEC) to his roll.

Yes that is correct.

Quote:
Suppose an additional hex of brush was in the way, to spot I now roll 1-3 on 1d6 plus 2 for the 2 hexes of degrading terrain (one more hex and LOS would be blocked). If I spot and decide to fire, I subtract 2 from my roll for the 2 hexes of brush.

Is this correct?

Yes that is correct.

Quote:
Lastly, what is meant by "...if it passes through the silhouette of Degrading terrain that is in part of an otherwise open hex"?
My understanding is that if the terrain overhangs the outline of a hex and your LOS passes through that overhang, then it is degraded.

It depends on which hex the terrian that overhangs comes from. If this terrian is an overhang from either your unit's hex or the enemy's hex, then it does not degrade the LOS and has no effect on either spotting or fire. If this terrian is an overhang from any other hex (not your unit's or the enemy's hex) then it does effect both LOS and fire, if the LOS passes through the terrian, i.e. adds +1 to the spotting roll, and -1 from the attacker's fire roll. For example, the light woods terrian of your or the enemy's hexe does not effect the spotting roll even if the terrian extends outside of that hex and into an otherwise clear hex in the LOS.

Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Neff
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was spot-on!

Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.