Josh Wheeler
United States
Ammon
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a two player game of Gloria Mundi between Logan and Myself, I begin to wonder if choosing a proper specialization in terms of production cards may be the ultimate long term strategy. I digress.

The flight from Rome started slowly enough. There was some initial pillaging within the first 6 turns, farms, armies and cities began to fall by the wayside. Logan snatched up on the Legion buildings that provided him a couple early glory, which turned out to be a decent long term investment.
I was aggressively pursuing farms and farm related buildings, including one that allowed me to take one step with every farm turn. That building allowed me to keep pace with Logan in the early to mid game. Having seen the farm strategy pay out in previous games, I thought I would surely be safe. Then things began to go very wrong.

While I did manage to let the Goth shatter the morale of Logan's armies and leave him with almost nothing but cities, he turned these events to his advantage and built a wall around his cities, then circled the wagons tighter and managed to build a series of City Buildings that generated massive amounts of food and gold, and by the mid-game allowed him to trade the food for 2 steps at a time. He did, of course, run out of cities with about 12 steps to go, but by then I was all ready in severe trouble.

Logan had allowed the Goth to pillage on multiple occassions when he had no farms or armies to speak of. His city wall absorbed some pillaging during one rampage, and one or two of the spare cities were burned during other rampages. In the meantime, what small amount of farm and army cards I had managed to build up were quickly swept away. Why didn't I play the city cards? I felt like I couldn't because of the huge gains Logan got with every city card. This may have been the wrong choice, or it simply may have ended the game sooner. But Logan's specialization was a powerful choice this game.

When the Exactor entered the forum, Logan was able to use his massive food and gold stores to purchase him. It only took 2 farm turns after that to propel Logan the 10 more steps he needed for a safe journey to Africa.

We both enjoyed the game a great deal, and I look forward to further plays to see if specialization is the key, or if diversity might win the day. Obviously, the nature of the game can be affected by the cards that appear in the forum.
I very much enjoy the way the game makes you look ahead, plan for the future, and release the hounds at just the right moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Glad to find someone who seems to enjoy this game as much as I do ... considering that there are some (many?) who are dumping on it mercilessly.

Yes, there is a tension between specialization and diversification. I've seen both methods succeed ... and fail. It's nice that the game seems to preclude a simple solution.

In the rapidly changing situations that Gloria Mundi fosters, the stable element appears to be the commodity stores that a player accummulates. Learning to manage them is an important key to the game, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euron Crows Eye
United Kingdom
radcliffe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I to have played a few games of this now and enjoy it immensely. I dont understand all the bashings its taking. Ok the rules are a lil unclear in places but - whats new?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wheeler
United States
Ammon
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Band together, supporters of GM!
I have to agree with your statement Amy about managing your stored resources. In the end, it was my failure to have acquired any respectable amount of gold that let Logan run away with a City-based victory.
I have to say once again, that I do love the fact that one way to get those resources is to let the Goth run wild.
I look forward to more playings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this game today with my wife in a two player game. We had absolutely no problem with the rules.
It took a little while before we could afford anything as the first few cards were rather expensive. It was fairly close but I was either always a little bit a head of her, or we were on the same space.
She made a couple of mistakes. I believe she forgot to take a production card at the start of her turn after announcing what type of turn it was ( I didn't notice at first ) and on two occasions she had to move the Goth over an odd number of tributes meaning she lost two production cards to my one, and three to my two. After this she was more competitive and I wound up reaching Carthage first.
The only thing I noticed was that I was curious as to why the building cards didn't start already in the forum during set up.
We used one of the player aids posted here on the Geek which was very helpful.
We liked this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.