Anrey Wang
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
How does this game make you feel?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about whether it really would be possible to run a game with 75 players (all of the roles being used). I mean, how would you actually do it?
Multiple games going at once with multiple moderators?
One GIANT circle of 75 people? surprise
Or is this just clever marketing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yao-ban Chan
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be possible, but the logistics would need some serious tweaking. For starters, 75 people is waaaay too many for a single vote - I have trouble counting up votes when I get to 15 or so! And a written ballot strikes me as being too slow.

My suggestion would be to have a number of interacting smaller games, as knocking out one person per round would be too slow.

Firstly, I'd go for only the simplest roles (seer only). There is no need to introduce role complexity, because the social dynamics will emerge in a long game.

Next, I'd divide the groups into a small number of large-ish groups (perhaps 4 groups of 20ish) and put them in separate rooms. However, I'd allow people to move in between rooms, with the caveat that there must be at least one werewolf in any room which is having a vote (it would be incumbent on the werewolves to ensure this, and it may be quite tricky). Simultaneous voting in all rooms may be an option.

This would allow you to more quickly reduce the number of participants. Then as the number shrank, you could reduce the number of rooms, until you got down to 1, at which point you could play normally.

It would be really fun to try, but probably quite chaotic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Possible? Yes.

Unlikely to be even remotely fun? Absolutely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With all respect, this would be my idea of Hell......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Not a good idea. But you can have bunch of simultaneous games, wouldn't that be as fun?
Something like 5x15 player games maybe? After first and second nights, the dropouts can play One Night Werewolf and after third nights they can start new game together. Cycle until people pass out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've run two online games with over a hundred players. In both cases I ran multiple smaller villages, each with its own lynch vote, and as the game progressed villages collapsed into their neighbours until we ended up with one big one.

Another mod has run two giant single-village games, with 74 and 89 players.

Online is very different to face-to-face, though. In person the most I've run for is about 25-30, and even for that I used a roleset designed to be as quick and simple as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
California
flag msg tools
So what about 30 people? What is the age appropriateness of this game? I'm a sixth grade teacher and was considering the possibility of playing this with my class at the end of the school year. Am I crazy to even consider this because of either the logistics or content?

Would it be better to consider a different game with so many participants?

Help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a group that big and that young would struggle to stay engaged for the time you'd need for a game of that size, especially with the elimination aspect. Split into teams and play a quiz game, maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Box
Mexico
Querétaro
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spartan67 wrote:
So what about 30 people? What is the age appropriateness of this game? I'm a sixth grade teacher and was considering the possibility of playing this with my class at the end of the school year. Am I crazy to even consider this because of either the logistics or content?

Would it be better to consider a different game with so many participants?

Help.

It definitely works with 6 graders, although my experiences have been limited to a group of 24 and not 30 but I don't think there would be much difference.

The kids absolutely adored it each and every time they have played and there were zero problems with holding their attention even when eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
I'd split 30 into two games though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JasX X
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I regularly play games in the 24-34 range

I try to limit it to the lower end but if it's creeping upwards you can keep it managable two ways

1-
-> Up the death rate by including the old man, Dr Boom, cupid etc
2-
-> Try to limit the number of 'night active' actions ie avoid the witch, BG, aura seer etc. But instead include 'one off' roles like prince, hunter, diseased to keep the pace up

after a few large games you start to get a feel for the required pace vs death rate and can toss in some more active roles as people get more comfortable with how they work

Finally the key to counting votes in a large is always start at the person being accused and count round the circle till you get back to them. Helps you remember where to start/finish easily.

Final rule with large groups -> all cards need to be put somewhere visible ideally on a central table. Nobody gets to walk off with cards in their shirt pocket or crease them in a back jean pocket etc etc
Use good quality thick card sleeves too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rider
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played in live games with around 35 players. The trick is to add a LOT of roles that kill people quickly. A huge game goes better if (at the beginning at least) there are three or four kills per night, and maybe even extra kills during the day. The Hunter, The Witch, The Wolf Cub, maybe multiple Evil teams who kill separately, etc.

But yeah, 75 would be rough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rider
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasX wrote:
Final rule with large groups -> all cards need to be put somewhere visible ideally on a central table. Nobody gets to walk off with cards in their shirt pocket or crease them in a back jean pocket etc etc
Use good quality thick card sleeves too

I actually went online and bought a bunch of heavy convention-style lanyards and tags sleeves. Everybody has their card hanging on their chest. I got ones with opaque backs, so if they put the card in facing the back there's no risk of the tag flipping around and revealing anything.

Every once in a while somebody takes off with one, but it's a lot easier to spot somebody leaving with a big blue tag on their chest than a card in their pocket....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.