...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So. Essen. First time.

Very excited. Looking forward on going. Sunday the 22nd. Don't invite people over on the 21st. It was late. There was beer. We (me and the guy I had over) had to get up at 6.

Be clear on the time. I said 7:15. I know I did. I also said 6:30. And 6:45. And 7:00, 7:30 and 8:00. But I figured I would be picked up at 7:15. The guy driving thought 7:00.

But still early though. Too bad the last of our group was still asleep when we arrived at his house.

Still: we arrived at 9:30. Perfect. Park nearby. Get tickets. Go in. We were in the Messe at 9:50. Nice!

Now: where to go? As it is our first time, we'll just see how all of this works. Aaah, games! And more games. And even more and more and...

And computergames? One of us really wanted Civ IV. OK. It was only when he opened it an hour later, he remembered we were in Germany. 210 Pages of German instructions. Wonder if the game is German-only as well...

First thing we picked up: Gheos. Good thing to, it was sold out when we returned later (to pick up Santiago as well). Gheos was only sold at Z-Man's booth, I think.

AllGames4You. They had a nice shop. Prices were good. We looked at Leonardo da Vinci; € 24,95. The guy with the pricestickers showed up and we waited on what he was going to do. € 26,95. Hmmm. Of course we bought the one we were still holding.

Looking for more games. Friedrich? Nowhere. Händler von Genoa? Nope. Khronos? Sold out. Torres? Aha! Opened for € 14. And € 19. The difference? One had the cards still sealed...

Food was good. And a lot of it. On every corner. Smoking was allowed everywhere; that was weird. I don't mind, but it's still weird. And the best part: it was not that crowded at all!

And you get to see all kinds of famous people! Alan Moon and Hans van Tol and Rick Thornquist and William Attia and Kris Burm and Randy Thompson and Brian Yu and the Lamont brothers and probably more I just didn't recognize. William Attia was shopping, I guess. We saw him 4 or 5 times searching the Messe.

So two of us had a short night, one had sprained his ankle (well, 'enkelbanden gescheurd', but I don't know what that is in English) and the other overslept: we were getting tired. We needed to sit down. Let's find a gamingtable. On sunday. Right.

We managed though. At the DoW stand and played a game of TtR Märklin. But we were very tired and very annoying. The game took forever. Let's go buy more games!

The List: Gheos, Torres, Antike, Cleopatra and the society of architects, Leonardo da Vinci, Santiago, Augsburg 1520, Alhambra, Spielbox + TuT expansion, Sir Bedivire of course, Hermagor, Big City, Phoenix (€ 4!) and Arkadia. That's about 20+13+30+29+25+15+13+15+5+0+25+16+4+20 = € 230.

So: they're mostly German. No problem. Search BGG. Only thing missing: Arkadia. That is one empty gamepage. Anyone know where to find some English or Dutch rules?

Essen is great. We walked for hours and still missed a lot. We have to go again next year.

And thanks everyone for all the pre-Essen help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ákos Tasnádi
Hungary
Budapest
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkadia - We have played it in Essen, and my friend have bought it.

And he is learning Dutch. Maybe if you ask him, he can translate it as a practice. devil

(Too bad, before it I have to translate to Hungarian, for he does not speak German.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've just learned Melissa will be translating it to English! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Melissa RoXors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Corthout
Belgium
Lille
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
'enkelbanden gescheurd'

Volleyball injury I presume? I think it translates to something like "torn ankle ligaments". Must have been a pretty painfull day for him!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, just a loose tile... "Torn ankle ligaments" does sound pretty cool though. And yes: it was pretty painfull for him; but he really wanted to come along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bas, I'm working on a translation of Arkadia.

Give me 24 hours or so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.rogerson.com.au/boardgames/files/ArchitectsOfArca...

Also uploaded to BGG but that will take a bit longer to be available.

m.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.