Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused about an example in the rule book on p. 10, Figure 21.

It might be a lot to ask but I would greatly appreciate if someone could pull out their rulebook, take a look at this, and explain to me why A does not have line of sight to G? It's driving me batty.

It clearly says in the example below that Hex G, because it is a L1 hill with woods, becomes an L2 obstacle.

A is on a clear L0, the next hex is a clear L1 and the target hex is an L2 obstacle (L1 with woods).

If it is true that you treat all building and woods as +1 elevation, than wouldn't Hex G just become a L2 hill, in which case firing from an L0, over an L1 should have LOS to an L2.

I'm assuming there's something I'm not understanding here in the use of the word "obstacle" and somehow an L2 "obstacle" blocks line of sight to itself if it comes after an L1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Matthew, You have to think of the target hex in this situation actually being 2 different levels. At the ground level (i,e,) where the troops (target) are standing is just an ordinary level 1 hill.

The only time the trees come into it is if you are trying to shoot BEYOND that hex, in which case the trees make the hex a two hex obstacle for line of sight purposes.

Likewise, any unit in the tree/hill hex that fire, do so as though they are firing from a level 1 hill.

So basically firing into or from a hex, you use the base (i.e. ground level), but when firing through the hex, all the terrain contributes to how the hex is classified as an obstacle.

Hope I've read your question right, I am dashing out to work, so may have missed your point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a fantastic reply. Thank you.

Glad to find that what makes rational sense and the rule are both in sync.

The way I was interpreting the rules was putting images of troops sitting on tree tops in my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rswayz
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
Aim High!
badge
Smoking Owl, LLC Software
mbmbmbmbmb
And for other LOS clarifications, please see my LOS addendum here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/141274/line-sight-los-rul...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.