Subject: Has this Hive variant been considered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Howe
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
After reading the Hive rules and forum comments, I really like the game, but I also agree with the concerns people have with the spider-ant relationship. The spider is much weaker than the ant and there are only two spiders. I think that good game design generally means that the weaker pieces are more numerous. Here's a rather tame variant that does not change anything fundamental in the rules but addresses the imbalance. I'm not sure whether this has been proposed before. I hope experienced Hive players will consider it and comment.

Queen, beetle, and hopper are unchanged. Spider does what the original rules give to the ant. Ant becomes a one-or-two-step spider. Another possibility is to make the ant a two-or-three-step spider, or even a one-two-or-three-step spider. Playtesting will be needed to choose among those possibilities. But in all cases, the weakest piece becomes more useful and also becomes more numerous than its stronger counterpart.

Thanks for your attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.