Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Claustrophobia» Forums » Sessions

Subject: (Warning: adult language and themes) A well-timed Demonic Possession... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
This story is based on the Hit Them Where It Hurts scenario... More gameplay details after the story...

Disclaimer: This game feels like the world it lives in is a dark, miserable place, and this story was inspired by in-game events. It is not my intention to offend, and I hope people enjoy this little writeup (and if need be, will cheerfully submit to the will of the moderators)!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Murdering Bastard didn't think much of The Redeemer from the start; his religious zeal, kind words, and gentle leadership deserved nothing but scorn. It was clear to Murdering that The Redeemer didn't have a full appreciation of the weight and size of the thing that stood between them: The Holy Guillotine. Built at the center of New Jerusalem before construction of the first church had even begun, The Holy Guillotine served as the moral foundation for the believers and a constant reminder that Thou Shalt Not; the Condemned were unable to think of much else.

"Keep your God", Murdering would mutter to himself under the racket of The Redeemer's heavy plate as they trudged into the massive catacombs beneath the city, "Keep your praise and your battle cries. None of them, and nothing, will do me the least good when The Almighty has me by the throat..."

Murdering and the rest of the Condemned were prisoners sentenced to death for crimes Most Foul, but at first, a flicker of hope stole into The Hall of The Dead when demons began assaulting the city from below; they'd heard The Redeemer meant to use them, and some thought they might get freedom in the bargain. Murdering knew better; like the demons they would soon fight, Murdering and his Hall brothers Lying Horsethief and Poxy Motherf_er were no more than Fallen in the eyes of The Church; no matter how valiantly they now fought, no matter how many demons they felled, they would emerge into the light of New Jerusalem unwanted and unloved, with eyes for nothing but The Holy G.

But fight they did; it was one thing to contemplate one's inevitable quick, clean death and talk of not raising one's weapon in the service of New Jerusalem; it was quite another to entertain even a moment's hesitation when skittering little horrors erratically and cheerfully threw themselves at you like small, stripped-down wolves, all teeth and just enough flesh to propel them at a man... Murdering, Lying and Poxy all saw more than enough to motivate them when The Redeemer was wounded during a momentary lapse of concentration as they cautiously fought their way through the tunnels. The little demons sang like children, the high-pitched songs boys and girls sing to themselves or their parents before bed or at play, sinking their teeth into anything their tiny hands grasped before lunging or leaping to the next handhold, the next bite. The Condemned were unable to stand by and watch the assault on The Redeemer, the learned warrior priest in shining plate swinging his sword savagely about as he hissed through his teeth to drive away the pain... They surged forward as one and met flesh with iron, steel, and lead. Even Poxy Motherf_er left a fair account of himself. And why not? Was it not worth holding out hope that aiding a Redeemer would be of use when Judgment finally came?

The Redeemer was too well-read to see his mistake until the last moment. "Guard your minds against our enemy", he'd told them the night before leading them into battle, "and give not yourself to temptation. The enemy has many weapons, and our carnal desires can serve as one of its greatest."

Yes, they all thought. Deep into the night shall we ponder the warm, wet enticements that shape-changing demons might present. And yes, though it has been long, long and long since we've delighted in the touch of a woman we promise to stand hard and firm to a man 'gainst them and their seductive powers.

The devil, as always, is in the details... Our base appetites lead in more than one direction, and the Redeemer knew this but could not see that the minds of the Condemned had fixed on only one aspect of his warning...

"Come, brother," he said, laying a hand on Murdering's shoulder. "Let us find a use for that hammer of yours, and give glad thanks to God for this easily-won victory!"

It was too much. Murdering Bastard's anger rose in him like bile after a night of drink, pushed upward and outward, radiating from him like the light from The Redeemer's lantern. Murdering could not bear to be called "brother" by a man of such privilege, a man who stood in judgment of him, a man who would gladly pull the rope. The demons sensed this hatred and gave Murdering the warmth of their comradery and the covering shroud of shared purpose. In a momentary psychic embrace he understood that he was not alone in his hatred, nor in his desire to strike the Redeemer down. He had allies, confidants, friends; and he and they were all of them Fallen.

Long ago, Murdering had learned that a kill is a secret you share with no one but your victim; so it was that in the stead of a battle cry or shout of rage, the warning The Redeemer was not ready to heed, was not even looking for, was a furiously whispered, "Go to Hell, 'brother'..."

Murdering stepped back to give himself room to work, bringing the hammer around in an arc, driving The Redeemer's heavy plate into his chest, crushing his heart and shattering the cage that held it. The holy warrior's last words were drowned in blood and came out as nothing more than a wet red spray. And Murdering, having now raised a weapon against the Church, knew he was irrevocably damned. Pushing thoughts of self pity from his mind, Murdering Bastard joined his brothers in battle, laying low the demon they'd come to fight in a few quick seconds with the hammer he'd been given for just that purpose.

The death of the Redeemer changed nothing in this life; they would emerge from the hole in the ground to be quickly ushered back to The Hall of Death. Poxy and Lying spared the Redeemer's body not a glance as they quietly filed past, thoughts already fixed on The Holy G and their inevitable end. All Murdering Bastard could think of was what would now come after...

The human player marched his forces relentlessly toward the big demon's lair, with pretty much nothing I could do about it; every troglodyte I summoned fell without doing damage. Finally, about midway through the game, one survived when I gave all troglodytes +1 defense and it made a suicidal charge and fortunately damaged The Redeemer for 3. It was at this point (far too late), that I realized I should be drawing way more cards in this scenario... Near the end of the game, The Redeemer and the Brute with the hammer were just outside the big demon's lair, and I got lucky: the Redeemer had been given a defense of 3 (since he was so safe and all...) and the Brute had a combat of 4 (just a throw-away die...). I played a Demonic Possession on the Brute and killed the Redeemer in that one roll, a moment that flowered into this story in my mind.

...and yes. I lost. Hard. "Hammer Pants" as we came to call Murdering during gameplay made very quick work of the demon. I think he maybe lasted two turns?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Couple of pictures from this game to add...

A crazy turn I had once the Condemned were fighting the demon. None of it helped but it was a fun turn!

The final state of the Condemned (note that the Redeemer is dead):

...and, of course, a selfie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harmon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
The ultimate in Co-op Gaming.
mbmbmbmbmb
"(Warning: adult language and themes)"

...you had me at hello devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.