Subject: Super Motherload is loads of fun rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Perrault

Greendale
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
Come on come on come on come on TOUCH ME BABE can't you see that I am not afraid
mbmbmb
Rules
Supermother load is a deckbuilding tile placing game. You start with a deck of 7 cards and each turn you get 2 actions. You can draw 2 cards, play drill cards or play bomb cards.

When you play a drill cards they have to be of the same color and they allow you to place a tile on the board (a tunnel). Whatever objects you cover up you get (rocks of different values, alien artifacts). Playing the bomb card lets you place tiles of different shapes (aka tetris) and get the objects you cover up. There is no draw phase unless you spend an action to draw 2 cards.

On the board there are areas that you can only drill through and areas that you can only bomb through.

When you acquire the various rocks and gems you place then on one of the cards you would like to buy. And if you have enough gems of certain values you get to take the new card and add it to you deck. The new cards you buy offer both victory points and better ways to drill and bomb stuff or special abilities.

Finally there are different achievement cards that you can get for victory points. You get them when you accomplish different tasks in the game.

Opinion
Pro - Easy to teach. There are only 3 actions you take. Just about everywhere you place a tile you get good stuff although some spots are better than others. It gets you playing quick but in no time you start to realize how to maximize points. Since you are playing on the same board you have to try not to give your opponent to many opportunities. Sometimes it is best to save up cards and spend your next turn taking 2 drill or bomb actions to open up the best spots on the board.

Pro - Time is limited. You don't have time to buy all of you special cards. I like a game that forces you to pick a strategy. You can try to direct you card recruitment to match the achievement cards or direct them to some special ability. But you will not have time to buy all your cards.

Con - There are only 16 cards you can buy. This is not like Dominion. You are building small decks and going through them quite fast. The decks stack up based on cost. So you have 4 choices at any one time. Its not as limiting as it sounds. The game just is not focused on the variety that we often see with deck builders. It is more of a balance between tile laying and light deck building.

Pro - Fun choices. Despite the small deck it does have meaningful choices. It matters which card you buy and that one new card can really begin to direct your strategy.

Pro & Con - Box size. Mostly a pro for me. The box is just the right size, no bigger than it has to be. The con part is that it might limit expansion fitting into your box.

Pro - Components. The cards and cardboard are all good quality. Nothing feels cheap. I enjoyed the art but it may not be for everyone. Has a slight middle school flare like hot rod creeps but with earth tones. I think the color palette really matches the red mars color and feels right for the game.

Final thoughts

For me this hits on a lot of levels. First game played in about 45 minutes (2 player). I enjoy tile laying. The main boards seem very well thought out, better stuff the deeper you go and good stuff is harder to get to (hidden behind plates or stone). Turn speed is fast. Multiple paths to victory. It reminds me of the arcade game dig dug and that alone makes me want to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review of this game ...my thoughts mirror yours 100%...

There are several interactive DBGs out there ...but to me this feels like it's a totally holistic product ...not just a deck builder with a board tacked on ...brilliant ...

Personally, I feel this game adds a solid new level of deck building and board interaction ...

Loads of potential for expansions ...I really hope this game takes off and wish the designers/ publishers every success with this excellent game ...

It will not be every ones cup of tea ...but what game is ?

As a lover of this genre of games I am more than satisfied with this game ...hence rated it as a ten ...

Happy gaming

Ric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you elaborate how interaction works in this game?
I really dislike dry "work on your engine" games (Machi Koro, Dominion) and I prefer a lot of interaction. Denial can be one of those, but there should be more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perrault

Greendale
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
Come on come on come on come on TOUCH ME BABE can't you see that I am not afraid
mbmbmb
Play is on a single board for everyone so most of the interaction is in competition to gain resources. When you dig a hole you may be opening up a route to better stuff for others.

You also are competing to get goal cards before other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Checked one of the more explaining reviews and yes... lot of interaction due to the ever changing same board... but then you have almost no way of preparing your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.