7 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solo Rules for Saffron rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Because of the way Solo play works, Saffron is probably about the best Crew ever. To keep her DECEPTIVE ability deceptive and negative, I propose the following adjustments:

1) If any version of Saffron is on your Crew when you draw a new version, the one on your Crew Jumps Ship. You may hire the new version (or later hire back the one that Jumped Ship).

2) DECEPTIVE gets a new definition: "If you fail to proceed on a Job, Saffron immediately Jumps Ship, using you as a distraction. Immediately draw and resolve another Misbehave card."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zane Beauchamp
msg tools
Hmm. Interesting suggestion. A couple things spring to mind for me.

1. She is jumping ship in the first option, and I get that you can hire the new version if you want, but why does the jumped version become available to hire again? Any reason she stays in the game instead of being removed from it as would be the case in a game with multiple people?

2. That's fine, but I think it should just be made clear that the additional misbehave is a result of the chaos Saffron/Yolanda/Bridget have caused and not a part of the job attempt which by this point has already failed (and thus abilities that help while misbehaving on a job do not apply).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zane,

1) I was on the fence on this, but there were two reasons: first, I was afraid that it might make it too easy to get the "final" version of Saffron simply by bombing a job twice. In a solo game, that's a risk that's much easier to calculate than in a multiplayer game.

Second, it saved text by not having to address what happens when there's only one version of her left.

Having said that, this was my opening salvo, so I'd be interested to hear additional feedback.

2) I agree that can be clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Osmanski
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Perhaps you could just allow the two rules to work together.

If you have the versions of her leave the game when the new one is hired, and then the last version of her Jumps ship from DECEPTIVE, then that's it; no more Saffron.

In a multi-player game losing one of very few Companions in the game would be crucial, but I don't think it'd be as bad in a Solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One of the reasons I implemented this is because I've found that Saffron (no matter what you call her) is often a super star when I play solo. She's a great Crew member -- and there are three chances to find her!

When I play solo, honestly, she and Tracey often form the foundation of my Crew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
California
flag msg tools
I realize I'm well behind the thread here, but I've started playing solo recently and had been running into this and other problems. I like the simplicity of the suggestions here (and agree with the concerns), but it sparked my imagination. Here is a variation which is overly complicated (definitely too complicated to adapt for multiplayer) but fits with the flavor of Saffron's character. It hinders her overpowered solo usage a lot and highlights how shady she is. She's definitely going to rip you off.

When hiring Saffron/Bridgit/Yolanda (S/B/Y)
Shuffle all other versions of her back into their respective Supply decks.

If S/B/Y is on your Crew
You may not make changes to her Gear except when Working a Job.
If you draw another version of S/B/Y from a Supply deck then your Buy action is interrupted (you may not make any hires or purchases), and you must choose one of the following options to resolve immediately:

1) Sweet talk her
Attempt a Showdown using only your Captain against S/B/Y. S/B/Y uses her best skill, including the Gear she stole. You may select new Gear for your Captain. If you win, discard S/B/Y and take back the Gear she stole. If you lose, disgruntle your Captain, discard the Gear she stole, and shuffle all versions of S/B/Y back into their respective Supply decks.

2) Pay her off
Pay her hiring cost plus half the cost of the Gear she stole (round up). Discard S/B/Y. You may keep her stolen Gear. If you were short on cash, discard from her Gear until the amount you paid covers half its cost.

3) Didn't like her anyway
Discard S/B/Y and her Gear. If you have another Companion in your Crew, you may keep the Gear.

After resolving, you may resume your Buy action, including hiring S/B/Y, if a version is available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mudd Grizzly

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're playing with the set up rules from "Awful Lonely in the Big Black," I'm actually not sure YoSaffBridge is such an amazing crew member. Unless you just can't stand having Moral crew, the only thing she has over any other Companion is Grifter, which isn't a top tier keyword anyway. I can see why you might pick her situationally, depending on who else you have on board, but I don't feel like she's generally any better than Roberta, Inara, or Sheydra, all of whom can be amazing.

If you play with modified starting rules, drawing crew from beginning discard piles for instance, maybe just rule that both copies get removed from play when you draw a second? I feel like that's pretty straight-forward, roughly replicates the feeling of the multiplayer game, and still allows for you to get her back if you really want to (by tracking down the third copy).

That said, while I don't think anything really needs to be done from a balance standpoint, all of these suggestions do sound fun and flavorful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.