Subject: House Rule: Each player gets 1 guaranteed build card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb

I've played solitaire games where the Japanese didn't get any Naval builds for 4 turns (and they were busy discarding extra cards like crazy!).

So how about saying that Japan, Britain, Italy, start with 1 Navy Build and 9 other cards; and that US, Germany, Soviets start with 1 Army Build and 9 other cards (before the discard 3 cards stage of the game start)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with ten instead of seven, seems to help so far

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
msgt pepe wrote:
I play with ten instead of seven, seems to help so far

But doesn't that seem to be going too far from the intent of the game? I think there is interesting pain in having to right away dump 3 cards. Also, if you let the players keep 10 cards from the start, you make Italy and Japan substantially stronger (as they seem to be the ones who run out of cards at an earlier point). Generally wouldn't you be weakening the Allies economic warfare cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only say it went well for us with ten cards, and sure, there were times when certain cards weren't there when needed... It certainly did not feel unbalanced. And this game was the closest so far (in terms of VPs), with the Axis pulling ahead in the last few rounds. Hopefully you can try these ideas with five other players (this game shines with six different minds!). By the way, we think that one player handling Germany/Italy and USA/UK is too powerful a combination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Andersen
Denmark
Valby
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or try this variant:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/18446846#18446846

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I think the game is short enough to allow for statistically unlikely card pulls and wouldn't personally change the rules to overcome that. I'd just go with the flow. I say that after playing Britain and the USA and not drawing a second sea battle from either deck until over halfway through the game. Now that was annoying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play with each player getting one build card as one of their initial hand. We had too many games where, despite the statistical possibilities, a player might not get a build card for several turns. This is particularly damning at the start of the game. Making certain that one of the initial cards is a build card solved the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakjck wrote:
We always play with each player getting one build card as one of their initial hand. We had too many games where, despite the statistical possibilities, a player might not get a build card for several turns. This is particularly damning at the start of the game. Making certain that one of the initial cards is a build card solved the problem.

Why not just start everybody with an extra piece on the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
dakjck wrote:

Why not just start everybody with an extra piece on the board?

Why?

The house rule of one guaranteed build card avoids the risk of a catastrophic game start while still giving the player the option to NOT build if they feel it's not the right choice. It's a minor adjustment to a great game. Adding an extra piece on the board would be a much bigger adjustment and, I think, unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Plain vanilla for me. I've yet to play a game in which the opening hand dramatically broke either team's chances to win*. It's a short enough game that if you lose, you set up again and have another go. Part of the challenge (and uncertainty) is dealing with utterly useless hands of cards. Plus, this is a team game with three hands of cards for each side. The odds of all three hands on a team being crap are awfully minuscule. If it is honestly that bad (30 completely useless cards drawn), just call a mulligan, reshuffle and have another deal.

But then again, I am a Combat Commander and Up Front fan ... managing poor hands and making the best of a bad situation and never giving up is a fun thing for me.

*Unlike, say, Agricola, where being repeatedly blocked in certain actions at the start of the game can make it virtually impossible to win. One player I have played with can predict with 100% certainty which player(s) can't win after 25% of a game of Agricola has gone by. At least he did every game he played in the five years he was in the gaming group I'm in. Humbling that was (and probably another reason I dislike the game so much).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Woods
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with this variant strongly, especially with newer players. Not having the appropriate build card can be really damning, and not being aware of the discard/hand management scope of your deck can make for a very unhappy first game experience. Japan can suffer particularly badly from this and so can Britain and Italy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.