Subject: Crusade and Revolution or Spanish Civil War? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Gonzalez Pavón
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have been following these two games, released relatively near in time to each other not long ago. I went thorugh comments and reviews, but I will greatly benefit from help about which one is "better" / more playable / more accurately portraying the SCW. My intention is buying ONE of them...

Thank you in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to check out España 1936 also, if you have not already....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the unique position of being the developer of both these games, can I ask what your gaming interest is like?

The reason I ask is that the two games approach the topic of TSCW from vastly different angles.

CnR is a CDG in the "Paths of Glory" family and is, IMO, slightly easier to play and learn (as with most CDGs you are not moving all of your pieces at once).

TSCW is a true 'hex and counter' game with random events, mech movement, and a good amount of chrome.

Both games do a good job of capturing the specific events that flavored the war, but in vastly different ways. CnR captures events via specific cards, some having lasting game effects...some simply modifying the republican morale or VP levels. TSCW has events that can force one or both players to attempt to conquer certain hexes, or to launch attacks that the player may not have the units and capabilities for (just like historically).

So it depends what you enjoy...hex and counter versus CDG.

I'll note that CnR is still in-print and readily available through Compass...I want to say that TSCW is out of print, so not sure how readily available TSCW is to obtain.

-K
Developer, CnR
co-developer, TSCW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Antonio Rivero
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria- Canary Islands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hola Gabriel,
Funny enough I had posed myself the very same question than you because after a lot of research I got to the conclusion that these two games where the best done so far about the Spanish Civil War such an interesting theme for us.
And after a lot of questions to people that have both of the games, believe or not, I reached the same conclusion that Kevin said , both are great games each one in his genre and both of them providing a wonderful gaming experience in different ways,and as I wanted to explore both experiences I finally opted to buy the two C&R and TSCW. The TSCW second hand.

En resumidas cuentas compra los dos si puedes Joer en español con una frase lo explicas todo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Cornthwaite
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mb
Bien dicho, hombre!

(I am not familiar with CnR, but TSCW is one of the very best board war games that I have ever encountered - es sobresaliente!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gonzalez Pavón
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much to all of you for your help and well documented comments. Just bought both and wil be checking them out...

I have and enjoy España 36, For whom the Bells toll and a few others. Complicated conflict to simulate, specially in the Republican political rearguard...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odious Maximus
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Rauxa wrote:
Just bought both and wil be checking them out...
You were only supposed to buy one devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gonzalez Pavón
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sic transit budget Mundi :-)...

Both games are very different... and very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.