Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a practice solo game last night so that I could get the rules solid before teaching my husband. I know I did a couple of things wrong (like totally forgetting about critical hits) so combat should be a bit less frustrating once I'm playing "right".

Things I wasn't totally clear about:

1. Monsters that are diagonally adjacent to you can still attack you, correct? And cause horror hits from Fear? (I played that they did.) And presumably be attacked by melee? (though I was playing Rancher so that was irrelevant since she always used her rifle) I assumed this was the case since diagonal movement is allowed.

2. You get to roll against Willpower to prevent sanity loss due to horror hits, correct? Including those from Fear? Can you roll them all at once to save time or do you have to roll each monster separately? Mostly, this would be relevant for using Grit to reroll dice.

3. I totally missed that you could level up in the middle of an adventure. Can you even level up in the middle of a fight? It seems to me that would give your level 1 heroes the equivalent of an extra Revive token each (assuming that they should hit 250 XP during the first adventure since leveling up seems to clear up all your wounds and sanity losses) - which would have been *huge*!

4. When a Revive token is used, the rulebook says you clear off your wounds and sanity tokens and gain 1 Grit. Do you still gain 1 Grit if you had one left? Or do you actually reset to 1 Grit? (It could happen; you used 1 of your 2 Grit to reroll dice so you still had one left because you're not allowed to re-reroll dice.)

5. When you roll for movement in combat, you're effectively rolling for Grit, it seems (since most monsters will catch up to you anyway). If you have a monster next to you, do you have to pass an Escape Test to roll for Grit? Or just to actually move away from the monster?

6. For the big monsters, you get XP every time you hit them plus extra for each wound you inflict. Do you get the "hitting" XP even if you don't inflict any wounds? (because you rolled less than their defense)

7. If the mission is lost, do you still get to keep your XP and gold? I'll be starting over with a new character when I play with my husband so this wasn't relevant to my last game but I expect we'll lose a mission at some point.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty567 wrote:
1. Monsters that are diagonally adjacent to you can still attack you, correct? And cause horror hits from Fear? (I played that they did.) And presumably be attacked by melee? (though I was playing Rancher so that was irrelevant since she always used her rifle) I assumed this was the case since diagonal movement is allowed.

Yes - diagonal is considered adjacent for any effect that requires adjacency.

Rusty567 wrote:
2. You get to roll against Willpower to prevent sanity loss due to horror hits, correct? Including those from Fear? Can you roll them all at once to save time or do you have to roll each monster separately? Mostly, this would be relevant for using Grit to reroll dice.

Anything called a 'hit' gets a willpower or defense roll, as applicable, unless the text says otherwise. Anything called a 'wound' or 'sanity damage' is already past your defense.

For horror hits from multiple monsters, I always roll them all at once. It's faster, and better for grit. And they happen simultaneously - you're not getting scared one monster at a time.

Rusty567 wrote:
3. I totally missed that you could level up in the middle of an adventure. Can you even level up in the middle of a fight? It seems to me that would give your level 1 heroes the equivalent of an extra Revive token each (assuming that they should hit 250 XP during the first adventure since leveling up seems to clear up all your wounds and sanity losses) - which would have been *huge*!

I don't have the adventure book handy to check the wording, but I'm pretty sure you can level up at any time. Sometimes it's worth holding out on leveling up to get that healing boost when it's really needed. Sometimes you want to level ASAP to get that next ability.

And it's 500 XP for the first level, not 250.

Rusty567 wrote:
4. When a Revive token is used, the rulebook says you clear off your wounds and sanity tokens and gain 1 Grit. Do you still gain 1 Grit if you had one left? Or do you actually reset to 1 Grit? (It could happen; you used 1 of your 2 Grit to reroll dice so you still had one left because you're not allowed to re-reroll dice.

I would say you gain 1 grit.

That said, I always forget about the grit when I use a revive token (we don't use them often).

Rusty567 wrote:
5. When you roll for movement in combat, you're effectively rolling for Grit, it seems (since most monsters will catch up to you anyway). If you have a monster next to you, do you have to pass an Escape Test to roll for Grit? Or just to actually move away from the monster?

You only need to roll an escape test if you try to leave a threatened space. Rolling for movement (grit) happens regardless of how many monsters are around you.

Threatened space = a space adjacent to a monster

Rusty567 wrote:
6. If the mission is lost, do you still get to keep your XP and gold? I'll be starting over with a new character when I play with my husband so this wasn't relevant to my last game but I expect we'll lose a mission at some point.

Yes, you keep your XP and gold and items. And you keep your injuries, madnesses, and mutations, if any. Take the failure penalties listed in the adventure book, and keep everything else.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1)Yes those monsters are adjacent for all purposes.

2)Yes you could roll them all at once, just be sure to assign different colored die, or just roll the tests and keep the results next to each figure so that you could track where the damage is coming from. This really only matters in instances where you could ignore damage from a single source, which would be one monsters, etc.

3)Yes, it can happen at the beginning of any turn. Actually we sometimes wait until we have a lot of damage and indeed use it as an extra revive token, also you recover a grit.

4)Yes you recover a grit, not reset the grit

5)Even playing with fixed movement, you would still roll grit. Even surrounded by monsters you would still roll movement/grit

6)base xp for each hit that causes at least 1 wound, then 5xp per wound.

7) Yes, keep everything you have acquired.

Edit: ninja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:

Rusty567 wrote:
3. I totally missed that you could level up in the middle of an adventure. Can you even level up in the middle of a fight? It seems to me that would give your level 1 heroes the equivalent of an extra Revive token each (assuming that they should hit 250 XP during the first adventure since leveling up seems to clear up all your wounds and sanity losses) - which would have been *huge*!

I don't have the adventure book handy to check the wording, but I'm pretty sure you can level up at any time. Sometimes it's worth holding out on leveling up to get that healing boost when it's really needed. Sometimes you want to level ASAP to get that next ability.

And it's 500 XP for the first level, not 250.


You may level up during an adventure at the beginning of a turn.

CoA Adventure book p9 wrote:
A Hero may Level Up at the start of a Game Turn by spending the appropriate amount of XP.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the quick replies!

(I was working off memory for the XP to level up. I would have looked it up before actually doing so in a game. Leveling up mid-fight seems kind of odd, but I think it's a rule I will like. )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
I should be able to get a good grip on my Elephant when it arrives!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked leveling up during a fight. I waited until the opportune moment and kicked it in. Hopefully that's an OK thing to do, because it worked. I actually didn't realize I had leveled up until I did the math and found out, so it looked like a good time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fribian wrote:
I liked leveling up during a fight. I waited until the opportune moment and kicked it in. Hopefully that's an OK thing to do, because it worked. I actually didn't realize I had leveled up until I did the math and found out, so it looked like a good time.


Well you can level up during a fight, but it has to be at the beginning of the turn, not during. So you can't wait for say two monsters to hit you then say, wait I'm going to level up to heal and then complete the rest of the monster attacks.

So if from last fight round you were badly hurt and all monsters and characters have resolved their turns, you've checked the darkness etc and it's the beginning of the next fight turn, you can level (heal) then.

EDIT: Someone I was speaking to today, suggested that start of turn can happen at the same time or even before "Checking the darkness". Given the darkness result may spawn enemies or cause damaging effects I guess the timing matters. I can't find anything in the rules which suggest the start of turn abilities/options can't happen before checking the darkness, so I'll concede that issue at this time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:

Rusty567 wrote:
6. If the mission is lost, do you still get to keep your XP and gold? I'll be starting over with a new character when I play with my husband so this wasn't relevant to my last game but I expect we'll lose a mission at some point.

Yes, you keep your XP and gold and items. And you keep your injuries, madnesses, and mutations, if any. Take the failure penalties listed in the adventure book, and keep everything else.


Do you also have to keep wounds/sanity damage? (Ie, you can't get red of it until you use something to heal it?)

When you take damage in town, what are the specific effects of that? Does it carry over into the next adventure (you start with x damage) or is it added to the damage from the previous adventure (so that if you would be knocked out again, you would have to roll on the injury chart before the next game)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kell zilla
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You reset to zero wounds/sanity damage and one grit token after completing your mission (win or lose), before you travel back to town, *UNLESS* you got an event or card or something that says you'll begin your town visit with more or less of any of those.

You also reset to zero wounds/sanity damage and one grit token after completing your town visit, before starting your next mission, *UNLESS* you got an event or card or something that says you'll begin your mission with more or less of any of those.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So the town events that cause wounds are basically irrelevant unless you take so many wounds that you have to roll on the injury chart?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny S√łndergaard
Denmark
Kgs. Lyngby
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules with me, but I do not think you are restored to 0 wounds/sanity damage after a town visit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grendelsbayne wrote:
So the town events that cause wounds are basically irrelevant unless you take so many wounds that you have to roll on the injury chart?


A couple town events actually say that the wounds carry over to the next adventure. So you could start adventures having Wounds/Sanity damage already.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kell zilla
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grendelsbayne wrote:
So the town events that cause wounds are basically irrelevant unless you take so many wounds that you have to roll on the injury chart?

Most of the wounds you take in town/location events specify that they stay until the next adventure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kell zilla
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mtdj wrote:
I don't have the rules with me, but I do not think you are restored to 0 wounds/sanity damage after a town visit.

You are. It's hidden in the "within the rules first mission" tutorial (a fistful of dark stone). It's mentioned nowhere else.

This game's paperwork is terrible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
kellzilla wrote:
mtdj wrote:
I don't have the rules with me, but I do not think you are restored to 0 wounds/sanity damage after a town visit.

You are. It's hidden in the "within the rules first mission" tutorial (a fistful of dark stone). It's mentioned nowhere else.

This game's paperwork is terrible.


On which page of the rule book is this found?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny S√łndergaard
Denmark
Kgs. Lyngby
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the rules are diffecult to reed. However, having skimmed through them once more, I still can't find any mention of being restored to 0 wounds/sanity damage after a town visit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
kellzilla wrote:
mtdj wrote:
I don't have the rules with me, but I do not think you are restored to 0 wounds/sanity damage after a town visit.

You are. It's hidden in the "within the rules first mission" tutorial (a fistful of dark stone). It's mentioned nowhere else.

This game's paperwork is terrible.


On which page of the rule book is this found?

A Fistful of Darkstone is described on page 9, but I see nothing about setting wounds/sanity damage to zero...

We've never reset health or sanity after a town visit, just the grit. We only reset health and sanity after the mission, before traveling to town.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
kellzilla wrote:
mtdj wrote:
I don't have the rules with me, but I do not think you are restored to 0 wounds/sanity damage after a town visit.

You are. It's hidden in the "within the rules first mission" tutorial (a fistful of dark stone). It's mentioned nowhere else.

This game's paperwork is terrible.


On which page of the rule book is this found?

A Fistful of Darkstone is described on page 9, but I see nothing about setting wounds/sanity damage to zero...

We've never reset health or sanity after a town visit, just the grit. We only reset health and sanity after the mission, before traveling to town.


Yup...that's what we do as well. There is nothing that says you reset AFTER town.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.