BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Game Reccomendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Rob Koch
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone.. I'm relatively new to the community and to more serious board gaming and am looking for some recommendations. First, some games I like and second, what I'm looking for in a game.

Some games I like:
Chess
Go
Catan Card Game
Settlers (duh)
Samurai (in theory, its coming in the mail tomorrow.. I like what I read here but haven't played yet)
Through the Desert (same as shogun)

What I'm looking for:
I like a game that is predominantly about strategy and outsmarting your opponents. I am not opposed to a luck element being involved, but I don't want it to be such that it can make or break your ability to succeed based on whatever happens to be rolled. Another important but not critical element at this point is that the game be playable by 2, but not significantly handicapped as a 2 player game if its built for more. Case in point would be Settlers of Catan; while the 2 player variation out there is good, you can't shake the feeling that the game was meant for more. I'm hoping to join a local gaming group soon so I will have more people to play with, but for the time being 2p friendliness would be nice.

I've been eying Twilight Imperium 3ed but it seems like although I can get 3 people regularly to play it might be better with more.

Im looking forward to your input! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm cross-posting in recommendations where it belongs. Please ignore this one. sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might like Dungeon Twister.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Goa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
- Tigris & Euphrates
- Dungeon Twister
- Hive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK... if you want combat, you'll probably love Nexus Ops. If you want to play nice, Ticket to Ride. (But from the tone of your post, I'd go more for Nexus Ops).
Guillotine is fun, if chaotic; plays well with 2 and expands easily.
Scotland Yard is good with 2, and scales easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Brychel
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also suggest Goa very chesslike with two players, but still fun with 3. I have not tried it with four so I cannot offer a recommendation there.

For Light 2 player I also liked Memoir '44

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colonel Mustard
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto on the suggestion of Tigris & Euphrates and Hive. Sounds like you'd really like them both. T&E works well with two players but is also great with more. Hive is a two player that is short, simple and can be pretty tense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will throw another vote for Tigris and Euphrates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that Hansa is chess-like with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yeh Fang
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'll throw a vote for T&E although it only works well if the players are aggressive, otherwise it might end up being kinda boring as players sit on opposite corners building monuments and racking up points.

Caylus on the other hand, seems to work better with fewer players than more (which then starts to drag), and no luck factor except the very beginning, which also gets comparisons to Chess, although it's probably not as deep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious came to mind as soon as I read the names of you first two games. There is a fair amount of luck, involving the tiles that you draw, but there is a bunch of strategy as well. It is sort of like scrabble, without you having to become a walking dictionary to play well.

Puerto Rico comes to mind as well. It didn't become the number one game on the geek for no reason. You might also like San Juan, Puerto Rico's card game little brother, since you have "both" Settlers.

If you want to try wargames, both War of the Ring and Twilight Struggle are great games. WotR lets you game the books/movies, without forcing you to slavishly follow the plot - I recommend this game to any Tolkien fan. TS introduces you to the card driven mechanic used by some of the best wargames out there, and does it with a theme that any of us can understand. Just be aware that the first game of WotR can last six hours or more, and TS can go four hours for your first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonaparte at Marengo, Tikal, Napoleon (Columbia Games), Tamsk, Gipf, Zertz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I really really recommend Antike. My group loves it. If you want something a little more abstract, I'll throw in another vote for Tigris and Euphrates. By the way, did I mention you should buy Antike!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.