5 Posts

Thunderbolt Apache Leader» Forums » General

Subject: Help with fixing the VASSAL version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lipa LeChuck
msg tools
mb
I own the VASSAL version of TAL. I must say I quite like the implementation and all in all I think DVG did a good job. However, there are some errors in the version that I have, namely the following pilots are either wrong or missing:
- Gumby (skilled)
- Thor (ace)
- Zinger (ace)
- Zinger (veteran)
- Grandpa (newbie)

I wrote to DVG and asked if it is possible to obtain a patch or a newer version (since I bought the thing and would very much like to have everything in working order), but I didn't get any answer that would satisfy me. First they thought that I was asking if the VASSAL version is the same as the physical version, and then after I explained once again what I want, further replies never came... I know my English is not the best, but still... I would expect more effort.

So in the end, I decided to make these five correct pilot images myself (I used the available cards and just changed the numbers and other info where required). So here they are, waiting on my desktop. But now I need to implement them into the VASSAL module, and here's where I would need some help.

Since I would rather not read the entire manual (I have no intention of creating new modules etc.), can somebody guide me through the process of including these additional pilots? Or at least direct me somewhere where somebody has done something similar? I guess that it is not merely the issue of putting the images together with the rest of them, I suppose some additional alterations to the module need to be done...

If anybody has already done something like this or if you could help me out in any way, I would much appreciate it!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have version 1.2 of the TAL vassal module, which is the latest that I'm aware of. I receive version 0.98 when I first purchased the module. I had to email DVG to get the updated version; they didn't announce the updates anywhere, I just found out about it on these forums.

The pilots you list all seem correct in v1.2 of the module (as compared to the TAL Pilot Roster v1.1 in the files section). However, Grandpa is missing the Average rating (the image is there, but some of the skill levels in the Grandpa's skill layer are pointing to the wrong image file). So you can edit the module to get Grandpa's card working correctly; geekmail me and I can point you to the right place to make edits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
LipaB wrote:
I know my English is not the best,

If half of the people I worked with wrote as well as you I would be very happy. You writing strikes me as that of someone who has had education and considerable practice in English writing.

The only indication I have that you might not be a native English speaker/writer is that your composition is better than many native English writers who don't take their own language serious enough.

Based on what you wrote above, you should not feel insecure about your ability to communicate via print in English.

Oh, and to your main point, I can't help you with VASSAL. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lipa LeChuck
msg tools
mb
Thank you very much, both of you!

John, I checked, my TAL version is 1.00. So you wrote to DVG and requested the newest version, correct? Did you write to any special mail or the default support one? From what you said, I'm now thinking about writing them again and requesting the newest version once more, before I start messing around with the module...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent an email to DVG's contact us email on their website with my order number. After a couple tries, I got a response. They are a small shop, so be patient and ping them occasionally if you don't get a response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.