Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
80 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Getting into miniature painting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Bertoniere
United States
Durham
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey.

I recently started thinking about painting my collection of miniatures. The games are the 3 dnd board games, Descent 2nd, and Zombicide.

I haven't painted miniatures in many years. I'm undecided on which I want to start with, but, I'm thinking Zombicide since the hordes will best cover up early mistakes.

I'm looking for a place to start with the paints and brushes, plus, whatever else I should get.

I've already decided that I want to get proper miniature paints. I've seen results of higher and cheaper priced paints and can tell the difference. I also lack the skill to thin paint. I want as few road blocks as possible.

I'm thinking about picking this up to start...

http://www.amazon.com/Zombicide-Core-Paint-Army-Painter/dp/B...

Or possibly this...

http://www.amazon.com/Games-Workshop-Citadel-Hobby-Starter/d...

How do you guys feel about these options?

I will also need a paint brush set. And whatever else I should get.


I'd of course like to keep it as cheap as possible, but, not at the expense of ease of use, and final results. I'd say my budget is $50 - $100 to start.

Anyway, any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.



***What about something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Mega-Hobby-Set-Limited-Edition/dp/B00A...

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chargeit wrote:
Hey.

I recently started thinking about painting my collection of miniatures. The games are the 3 dnd board games, Descent 2nd, and Zombicide.

I haven't painted miniatures in many years. I'm undecided on which I want to start with, but, I'm thinking Zombicide since the hordes will best cover up early mistakes.

I'm looking for a place to start with the paints and brushes, plus, whatever else I should get.

I've already decided that I want to get proper miniature paints. I've seen results of higher and cheaper priced paints and can tell the difference. I also lack the skill to thin paint. I want as few road blocks as possible.

I'm thinking about picking this up to start...

http://www.amazon.com/Zombicide-Core-Paint-Army-Painter/dp/B...

Or possibly this...

http://www.amazon.com/Games-Workshop-Citadel-Hobby-Starter/d...

How do you guys feel about these options?

I will also need a paint brush set. And whatever else I should get.


I'd of course like to keep it as cheap as possible, but, not at the expense of ease of use, and final results. I'd say my budget is $50 - $100 to start.

Anyway, any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.



First off, welcome to painting!

I started about 2 months ago, and LOVE IT. I really enjoy almost everything associated with it. I will share my story about getting started. I had a budget of about $200 for supplies.

I got the Army Painter Mega Paint set. Right now it is $88 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Army-Painter-Mega-Paint-Set/dp/B00HC9Y...

I thought it had more paints than I needed, but then I started painting, and used every one of them except one on Star Wars Imperial Assault. I was so happy to have the extra paints. This set also comes with 3 brushes, including the insane detail brush, which is very useful to have for all sorts of things.

I also like that Army Painter has primers that match the colors in their paint line. This means you can buy the primer, spray the minis then paint all of your other colors on top of it. The big bonus with this is that any mistakes can be touched up with the matching color paint, and you can't notice the mistake was ever made. This was huge for me on my first several minis.

**Now general pointers**

Be sure to get a good exacto knife to remove mold lines before painting. Take the extra time up front to remove them, or you will wish you had later. Trust me.

Wash your minis. Mild soapy water with an old toothbrush works great. This will remove any mold releasing agent left on the minis, or any oil your fingertips left before priming. I also dunk them all in rubbing alcohol then let them dry.

I would also get some wine corks (I got a couple of wooden dowels and chopped them into ~1" lenghths) then some sticky tack stuff. This allows you to hold onto the cork or dowel while spraying and painting. Old lug nuts also work very well as they are heavy, and won't tip over. Very useful.

Take your time. If you start to get frustrated, put it down, and come back to it later. Remember that you are doing this because you enjoy it, not because it is a chore.

On minis that need to be assembled, you may need to fill gaps with putty. I would be sure to have a good miniature putty knife, as it is much easier than a toothpick or your fingers. You can then go over the seam you just filled with a q-tip dipped in enamel thinner or water (depending on your putty type) to remove excess. It leaves a nice clean filled line.

As far as sealing your minis. I use Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel from Home Depot. I spray them with 2 good coats one day apart. Hold the mini at least a foot away from the sprayer when you spray with this stuff if you use it or you risk your paint running slightly. It is not a problem as long as you hold them far enough away, and will give a great tough surface finish. If you prefer them to look less glossy after, spray them with a coat of Testors Dullcoat, and they will have a great soft finish.

Remember you will get better with more practice, so start with simple ones, or ones that you care less about. Don't start with your Space Hulk Marines.



13 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had good results with Michael's paints.

That said, my two best investments were an Ott Light and Magnifying glasses.

http://www.amazon.com/OttLite-326003-13-watt-SlimLine-White/...

http://www.amazon.com/Donegan-OptiVisor-Headband-Magnifier-M...

When I got started I bought a variety pack of brushes and then when I figured out which ones I liked, I went back and bought a few really good brushes.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Bertoniere
United States
Durham
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks.

Yea, I found that mega pack you suggested after posting this.

I think I might start with that and go from there.

Thanks for the advice. It will be useful to avoid early pitfalls. For instance I wasn't thinking about the mold lines.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Bertoniere
United States
Durham
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll toss those onto my wish list. The old eyes aren't getting any younger and they could come in handy.

Thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chargeit wrote:
I'll toss those onto my wish list. The old eyes aren't getting any younger and they could come in handy.

Thanks.


I use a headlamp I have had for ages with some rechargeable batteries. I have been thinking on upgrading it to a desktop lamp, but what I have works, and didn't want to spend the extra money. A friend of mine has clip-on reading glasses that he likes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I found an opened Ottlite at Michael's for $20 in the clearance section. Keep an eye out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A great investment is to pick up some cheap dollar store minis, like army men or something. Get some practice on them so you don't have to worry about messing up the ones you care about.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try something a little less addictive, like crack.

Pete (is a recovering miniatures painter)
12 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Spence
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chargeit wrote:
Hey.

I recently started thinking about painting my collection of miniatures. The games are the 3 dnd board games, Descent 2nd, and Zombicide.

I haven't painted miniatures in many years. I'm undecided on which I want to start with, but, I'm thinking Zombicide since the hordes will best cover up early mistakes.

I'm looking for a place to start with the paints and brushes, plus, whatever else I should get.

I've already decided that I want to get proper miniature paints. I've seen results of higher and cheaper priced paints and can tell the difference. I also lack the skill to thin paint. I want as few road blocks as possible.

I'm thinking about picking this up to start...

http://www.amazon.com/Zombicide-Core-Paint-Army-Painter/dp/B...

Or possibly this...

http://www.amazon.com/Games-Workshop-Citadel-Hobby-Starter/d...

How do you guys feel about these options?

I will also need a paint brush set. And whatever else I should get.


I'd of course like to keep it as cheap as possible, but, not at the expense of ease of use, and final results. I'd say my budget is $50 - $100 to start.

Anyway, any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.



***What about something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Mega-Hobby-Set-Limited-Edition/dp/B00A...



There is a great youtube video a guy made that it looks really simple and he explains the paints and the brushes he uses. When I get the chance to buy Zombicide I will be watching the video a lot!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxm7Y0IJ10U
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Bertoniere
United States
Durham
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brycespence wrote:
There is a great youtube video a guy made that it looks really simple and he explains the paints and the brushes he uses. When I get the chance to buy Zombicide I will be watching the video a lot!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxm7Y0IJ10U


Hey, great video. I saw the dip method and it really looks like a attractive option for starting off with. I'm not the most skilled of people when it comes to art. This might just be what I'm looking for...

I still haven't bought anything and am looking at all of my options.


I'm also trying to figure out where I'm going to do my painting... I turned my hobby room into my computer room and have a pretty crazy setup that doesn't allow space for anything else. I'll have to prime outside, and then paint at the kitchen table. Not sure where I'm going to let things dry. I have cats that would love for me to leave drying min's out... All things I need to figure out.

Thanks again everyone. All helpful information.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniature paints dry in minutes, you don't have to leave them out for hours. Sprayed stuff will stink for a bit longer though.

Your first models will not be very good. Don't worry though. As long as you don't put the paint on too think you can always repaint them once you are better. Practice getting paint in the right places before working on more advanced techniques like highlights and eyes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would avoid the Citadel set. Their paints are very good, but are quite pricey. The worst thing about them is their paint bottles. They just don't seal up tight enough and tend to dry out quickly. I'd go with the paints with a screw on lid.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Bertoniere
United States
Durham
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so, I ordered what I needed to start painting my zombies.


OttLite 326003 13-watt HD SlimLine Task Lamp, White (have to be able to see)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q0CUXA/ref=oh_aui_detai...


Most Wanted Wargamer Set (seems like a good starter paint brush set)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007H4YR8S/ref=oh_aui_detai...


Warpaints: Starter Paint Set (Army painter, seemed like a good start)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SQ3C18/ref=oh_aui_detai...


Necrotic Flesh Primer (Should make painting my zombies easier. Will get other primers when I need)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C3CZTY/ref=oh_aui_detai...


Tamiya Acrylic X27 Gloss, Clear Red TAM81027 (was cheap, for blood)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006O526M/ref=oh_aui_detai...



Strong Tone Quick Shade (I picked this over normal stain because I liked the end results better in examples I saw)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UVVTXM/ref=oh_aui_detai...



Dull Cote Spray Testors (See recommended a lot)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035LOUMU/ref=oh_aui_detai...



Pallet, Adhesive Putty, things like that. A few that I already have. I was going to get a cutting pad, but, I decided to cut off as much fat as I could. Total cost was a little over $150. More then my $50 - $100 goal, but, not that bad. I still need to get other primes, but, this all should get me going.


Thanks. I'll post some results when I have them to show.


I made a final change for ease of use.

Citadel Technical: Blood For The Blood God
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GXAKTHK/ref=oh_aui_detai...



Well, decided to pick these up also.This should give me some really good options for my zombies... Budget be damned.


Zombicide Core Paint Set Army Painter
http://www.amazon.com/Zombicide-Core-Paint-Army-Painter/dp/B...

Zombie Toxic/prison Paint Set
http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Toxic-prison-Paint-Set/dp/B00NB...

Army Painter Warpaint - Necrotic Flesh
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/25728...

I added a cutting pad and some brush cleaner to the mix.

I ordered this wash pack also since I won't be using the quickshade...

Warpaints Quickshade Ink Set
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HC8D80W/ref=oh_aui_detai...


I really should of just gotten the two Army painter mega packs. I guess lesson learned there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have any tips for priming in the dead of winter if you don't have a garage?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acrylic gesso is a paint on primer alternative you could try that you can find at art stores or Micheal's/Hobby Lobby.

Another thing you might want to consider when getting into miniature painting is a porcelain palette or make yourself a wet palette which keeps the paint from drying out while you are painting.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Avatar
mb
Did you know there is a Miniatures Painters Guild right here on BGG full of people with all kinds of tips?

https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/909
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Avatar
mb
azelrpg wrote:
Anyone have any tips for priming in the dead of winter if you don't have a garage?
It's funny you bring that up, as I have had this problem in the past and I solved it by priming a boatload of the minis I was planning to paint throughout the colder months back in October. I know this doesn't help you now, but next time when winter sets in, it's not a bad idea to gather up any suspects and hit 'em with the primer so you'll be able to keep on workin' through the ass-cold days (like this weekend!)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My two cents (and I will try to keep it brief):

For non-cheap paints, Vallejo is my favorite brand. But I have also been happy with my relatively limited exposure to Army Painter paints. So if they have a set catered to what you want to paint, it's probably a good bet unless you prefer to hand-pick your colors.

For brushes, I think you need to weigh how much effort you want to put into taking care of them. Personally I would rather buy some cheap ($4-7) brushes from Michaels that I don't have to worry much about because they are cheap to replace. If I get paint too far up the bristles or the wood gets wet or I forget to wash one, who cares? But if you're not a lazy jackass like me and are willing to take the time to care for your brushes, then a nice set of brushes specifically designed for minis painting can make the task of painting much easier and faster.

And major +1 on the Ottlite. I shrugged my shoulders a bit when my buddy told me to get one. Now I can't imagine this hobby without it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Bertoniere
United States
Durham
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
My two cents (and I will try to keep it brief):

For non-cheap paints, Vallejo is my favorite brand. But I have also been happy with my relatively limited exposure to Army Painter paints. So if they have a set catered to what you want to paint, it's probably a good bet unless you prefer to hand-pick your colors.

For brushes, I think you need to weigh how much effort you want to put into taking care of them. Personally I would rather buy some cheap ($4-7) brushes from Michaels that I don't have to worry much about because they are cheap to replace. If I get paint too far up the bristles or the wood gets wet or I forget to wash one, who cares? But if you're not a lazy jackass like me and are willing to take the time to care for your brushes, then a nice set of brushes specifically designed for minis painting can make the task of painting much easier and faster.

And major +1 on the Ottlite. I shrugged my shoulders a bit when my buddy told me to get one. Now I can't imagine this hobby without it.


Well, I'm not going to say the paint was catered to what I need, as much as looked like a good general starting point. I can build up from there.


I do not have a great track record with brushes. I'll try to keep these in good condition. If it works out for me, I'll look into some really nice ones.


Yea, I have to admit I did not want to spend almost $30 on a light. The lighten in my house isn't the greatest though, and I know I'll regret not getting something to light my work space. It pretty much is a must have and I know being cheap here would haunt me.



I'm excited about getting everything in... Too bad the shipping times on some of the items are excessive. up to 2 weeks. Luckily the parts that come in last will be the ones I won't need until last such as the finish and blood. Assuming I have the time I should be able to get started on them before those items arrive.


I just added the Zombicide Army Painter kit... Way over budget now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that Zombicide painting guide with the Army Painter quickShade. If I ever get Zombicide that will be the method I use! It looks like a good mix between time spent and the end result.

Good luck and welcome to mini painting! I just got started myself

As for winter: you will probably have to wait until it gets a bit warmer. I painted earlier this month in the cold and it didn't come out the smoothest. I would say wait until it's warmer or try to do it during the day when it's sunny out. Good luck!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Bertoniere
United States
Durham
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BreakingPoint0 wrote:
I saw that Zombicide painting guide with the Army Painter quickShade. If I ever get Zombicide that will be the method I use! It looks like a good mix between time spent and the end result.

Good luck and welcome to mini painting! I just got started myself

As for winter: you will probably have to wait until it gets a bit warmer. I painted earlier this month in the cold and it didn't come out the smoothest. I would say wait until it's warmer or try to do it during the day when it's sunny out. Good luck!


Hey thanks.


I'm still not 100% sure I'm going to use the quickshade... I watched another video, and the wash looks about as easy with cleaner results.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkDBkS_HQCM


I want to say since I spent $35 on that quickshade I'll use it, but, if the wash works out for me, that may end up being wasted money.



I canceled the Quickshade. The one pack of paint I ordered comes with some. I also have some wash. I kind of like the cleaner look of the wash. I'm also worried that starting off with Quickshade will promote lazy habits. I'll still be able to try it out with that one package, but, the method I was looking at to apply it was about the same as wash.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
morpheus133 wrote:
Acrylic gesso is a paint on primer alternative you could try that you can find at art stores or Micheal's/Hobby Lobby.

Another thing you might want to consider when getting into miniature painting is a porcelain palette or make yourself a wet palette which keeps the paint from drying out while you are painting.



Made my first try at using gesso. It worked great. Absolute best paint on primer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pollack
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried gesso once and did not have a good experience. Maybe I just bought the really cheap stuff or didn't thin it enough. But my results were never as nice as some of what I have seen people do online. Have been using Reaper bush on primer with good results.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
polish_lancer wrote:
I tried gesso once and did not have a good experience. Maybe I just bought the really cheap stuff or didn't thin it enough. But my results were never as nice as some of what I have seen people do online. Have been using Reaper bush on primer with good results.



Thumb for Reaper primer; I've started using that as well and its very good.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.