Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just started painting the vehicles... and the paint fell off.

Now, I didn't wash these before I started (I should have, of course) because I thought that after 20 years there was no way there could be an mold release still left. But maybe oil from people handling them?

Anyhow, has anyone painted these had the same issue. I will go the usual route now of washing everything thoroughly, and maybe a quick Dettol bath, but I want to make sure its not a deeper problem, i.e. plastic doesn't react well to usual paints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Worked fine for me. But I washed in soapy water before priming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the quick reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did all the paint fall off? Or just in spots?

What sort of paint did you use?

It is possible that the paint simply was not compatible with that type of plastic. Just as some types of model glue will not work on some types of plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James P. E. Reynolds
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cars are most likely polyethylene plastic which is resistant to most adhesives (including epoxy), markers, and paint. Washing may help, but I would definitely use a rough washcloth or scrub pad. Some extra fine grit wet sandpaper would be the best. The trick is to break the outer layer to allow for proper adhesion of paint. Roolz mentioned primer, this is key to give the paint a surface to stick to.

Your best bet is to follow Roolz lead - wash and prime. There are four basic primer colors: gray, red, white, and black - it seems like overkill to buy four cans of primer, but the non-glossy rough texture would lend itself to the whole Mad Max theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks guys! Yeah, I am worried that it is a plastic problem as it was scrapping off of surfaces that probably wasn't handled much. Not sure I will go to the effort now, but man it would be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I persevered. Too much fun to pass up getting these painted. I soaked everything in Dettol and gave them a scrub. No problems after that.

Pictures posted here:
Painted Thunder Road
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.