The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Beginner question on Aragorn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
So I've just finished my first game, easy level of the first scenario, using the Leadership deck. I was just wondering how it works with Aragorn and Theodred, if I was using them right.

The way I read it, if I commit both Theodred and Aragorn to a quest, Theodred lets me place one resource on a hero, in this case Aragorn. Aragorn can then use that resource (or any other one he has) to ready again, after the Willpower has been counted. I.e. I can commit three Willpower between the two, and then ready Aragorn again once I've revealed the next card from the Enounter deck.

Now the question is: can I ready Aragorn whenever, i.e. can I leave him exhausted and ready him should I need him later on in combat? Or does it have to be immediately following the commit step?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Mills
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
Your Evil Is My Good
badge
I am Sutekh the Destroyer. Where I tread I leave nothing but dust and darkness...I find that good.
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording on the card says "after Aragorn commits to a quest, spend one resource to ready him"...it doesn't say anything like "until the end of the phase"...so it would seem that you can ready him until the end of the round, provided you have one resource to do so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Mills
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
Your Evil Is My Good
badge
I am Sutekh the Destroyer. Where I tread I leave nothing but dust and darkness...I find that good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, disregard what I just said, as I found this..."Responses can only be played immediately after their specified trigger occurs. In later phases of the turn, there will be no opportunity for Aragorn to commit to a quest, so his response trigger cannot happen.
In short: once, and only right after he commits to the quest." That from FFG forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
But his Willpower still counts, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
His willpower still counts. He's still "committed to the quest" and anything related to that still applies to him. But you can pay the resource to ready him, so he isn't affected by cards that refer to exhausted characters. Unfortunately you have to decide whether or not you want to use that ability before any encounter cards are revealed, so you can't wait to see if you'll need him in combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything looks correct in the prior postings.

Responses are immediate only otherwise they are lost.

Exhausted abilities are triggered upon the exhausting of the character. Nothing then un-triggers that power.

The readying of the character just means he can perform another exhaust action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Follow up question: once I re-ready Aragorn, can I re-commit him to the quest? I.e keep committing and readying him depending on how much resource I have stacked up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once a character is committed to a quest, he is considered to be committed to the quest until the end of the phase. So no, you cannot commit the same character twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Drake
Malta
flag msg tools
Re-igniting old thread, but I have just started playing LOTR LCG using the Core set this very evening, using the pre-made leadership deck, and have happened upon this very same conundrum:

It's the first round of the first game of Passage Through Mirkwood. In my planning phase I used up all resources on all heroes to play an ally and an attachment. I now wish to commit Theodred and Aragron to the Quest.

Now... here comes the tricky part --> Do they commit at the same exact time, or is it sequential? So if it's sequential, and I commit Aragorn "first", he does not have a resource with which I can ready him using his Response effect, as Theodred is commited "second" (after Aragorn), whose Response effect states to choose a hero committed to the quest (already) to add a resource to their pool. But once I select Aragorn and add a resource to his pool, he had already been committed, so his Response effect has already passed and can't be then used to ready him.

Similarly if their committing is sequential, and Theodred is committed "first", then there is no other committed character when he is committed, and I therefore can't give a resource to anyone else.

Unless of course the order in which heroes are readied is simultaneous, with all effects resolving at the same time, thereby allowing Theodred to give a resource to Aragaorn, and Aragorn being able to use it to ready himself (which, tbh, I'd rather be the case, although it would kind of kill me a little inside to know that the game is slightly inconsistent and illogical =P )

Thanks for any help you could provide! =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each player, in turn order, simultaneously commits their chosen characters to the quest. Therefore, Theodred can give Aragorn a resource if they both quest. And since you can trigger responses in any order, Aragorn can then use the resource to ready himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.