Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I can't get enough of auction games. I just love 'em to itty bitty bits and pieces. One of the auction systems I've liked best in recent years is in Cyclades - specifically where if you get outbid, you can't increase your bid but instead have to bid on something else. I find it creates a lot of tension surrounding how much to bid in the first place and sometimes even some fun misdirection scenarios.

My question for y'all is - are there any other games worth playing that do this? I recently came across Peloponnes which does the same thing and seems great but is pretty hard to find for a reasonable price. Wondering what else is out there.

Thanks friends!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roeland
Belgium
Gent
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
As far as I know Cyclades borrowed its auction mechanic from Amun-Re

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh yes. I played Amun-Re years ago - liked the auction system but found the rest of the game a little dull I'm afraid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Longobardi
Brazil
Mogi das Cruzes
São Paulo
flag msg tools
TOASTY !!!
badge
FLAWLESS VICTORY
mbmbmbmbmb
Vegas Showdown has exactly the same bidding mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Smith
United States
Clinton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love auction games as well. One of my favorite games ever is Evo (second edition). The Cyclades-style auctioning is one of the main parts of the game. Unfortunately it's out of print at the moment but if you can find a copy I highly reccomend it. You bid with your points in this game, which adds a whole new level to the auctions, since bidding too much, even on a really good trait, might not be wise in the end. Plus, it's got a Dino theme, something that the hobby really needs more of
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Francisco Arena wrote:
Vegas Showdown has exactly the same bidding mechanism.

Wait, really? I could have sworn you could choose to up-bid someone in that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abridgedfantasy wrote:
I love auction games as well. One of my favorite games ever is Evo (second edition). The Cyclades-style auctioning is one of the main parts of the game. Unfortunately it's out of print at the moment but if you can find a copy I highly reccomend it. You bid with your points in this game, which adds a whole new level to the auctions, since bidding too much, even on a really good trait, might not be wise in the end. Plus, it's got a Dino theme, something that the hobby really needs more of

I remember seeing that around, but didn't know anything about it. That sounds awesome! Definitely need more dino games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Speicherstadt is similar to Cyclades' bidding, though I've never played it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Constantinopolis has this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson
Belgium
Gent
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've been looking for Evo 2nd edition for 2 years, without any result, the price is just too steep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Smith
United States
Clinton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
horationelson wrote:
i've been looking for Evo 2nd edition for 2 years, without any result, the price is just too steep.

Watch the geek market closely. I got a Like New copy from there for only $45 a few months ago (40.02 Euro).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.