Factory Fun» Forums » Rules

Subject: Please clarify the machine-drawing phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little unclear on how the machines are drawn at the beginning of the turn. Could someone explain how this works?

Does each person only take from their own pile? It sounds like you take your top machine and then either keep or discard it. How does this lead to the "speed," "rush" and "grabbing" aspects I've seen mentioned?

I also don't understand about revealing a machine with one hand and choosing with another.

I looked on the publisher's site but didn't see any rules to download....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game was explained to me at the booth this way. THere is a speed aspect to drawing the machines at the start of each round. Each player turns over a random tile at the same time. With the other hand, players may then grab the tile they want. The trick is if you grab too fast and cannot use the tile you grabbed, you are penalized $5 (VP) for it. If you are the last to get a tile, you do not have to use the tile and are not penalized if you don't use. Hope that helps. Great game if you like puzzles.
Lorna
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:
I'm a little unclear on how the machines are drawn at the beginning of the turn. Could someone explain how this works?

Does each person only take from their own pile? It sounds like you take your top machine and then either keep or discard it. How does this lead to the "speed," "rush" and "grabbing" aspects I've seen mentioned?

I also don't understand about revealing a machine with one hand and choosing with another.

I looked on the publisher's site but didn't see any rules to download....

For machines, there is no "my pile" or "your pile". There is just a common pile of face down machines. You each take one machine from the common pile and place it conveniently in the middle of the table without revealing what it is. All players then flip over a machine at the same time with their "flipping" hand. You may then attempt to grab one machine using your "grabbing" hand. That's where the speed part comes in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
cull wrote:
Does each person only take from their own pile?

No, you reveal from "your own pile" but may grab any face-up machine on the table. So, you will have 4 (in a 4-player) game machines revealed and you can grab any - that is the speed, rush, grab aspect of the game. You switch hands as you can't quickly grab your own machine (your hand would have a head start compared to the other players).

The reason each player has "their own pile" is two-fold in my mind:

(1) It allows for a near simultaneous reveal of all the machines for the round.

(2) Each pile nicely acts as a round counter. When the stacks are empty, the game is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
cull wrote:
Does each person only take from their own pile?

No, you reveal from "your own pile" but may grab any face-up machine on the table. So, you will have 4 (in a 4-player) game machines revealed and you can grab any - that is the speed, rush, grab aspect of the game. You switch hands as you can't quickly grab your own machine (your hand would have a head start compared to the other players).

The reason each player has "their own pile" is two-fold in my mind:

(1) It allows for a near simultaneous reveal of all the machines for the round.

(2) Each pile nicely acts as a round counter. When the stacks are empty, the game is over.

I'll have to go home and re-read the rules as I don't recall there being separate piles.

I don't see how having separate piles is a requisite for the simultaneous revealing of tiles. If you have a common pile, then each player takes one from the pile and prepares to flip it. On the count of 3, they flip simultaneously. What's the difference?

*** Edit ***
I just checked the rules. In the English version of the rules, under Preparation, it reads, "Mix the 48 machine tiles. Select 10 times the number of players and make it one pile, face down. Put the remaining machine tiles unseen back in the box."

As I suspected, there is no "my pile" or "your pile". There is just the one pile. Each player selects one and they are flipped face up simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.