7 Posts

Ortus Regni» Forums » Rules

Subject: Army Cards - When can I field them rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Carr
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
One day the apes will rule the earth. I'll be safe but I don't fancy your chances much.
badge
Nothing to see here, go read something else.
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of questions about the army cards and when you can field them.

1) I've got a palace with land and a market town attached along with a castle on its own. My opponent decides to attack my castle. When I defend am I able to play two army cards from my reserve pool, because my complete Earldom is able to support two army cards thanks to the land and market town attached to the palace, OR am I unable to field any army cards because the chosen target, the castle, has no property able to support army cards?

2) Same set up as above (place with land and market town along with a castle) plus I have five army cards in my army reserve pool. When I attack am I able to play all five army cards from my reserve pool OR am I limited to the number of army cards my Earldom can support eg two, for the land with market town attached to the palace?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Schkeuditz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmb
1) It does not matter which castle (or palace) is the target of the attack. You can field all armies you can support (and lords, the king, mercenaries and face cards from hand).

2) You can only attack with the armies that you can support.

Rules page 35 wrote:
An Earl can field any number of Army Cards from his
Army Reserve Pool, as long as he possesses the Lands
to support them in the field.

Unfortunately the fielding is not explained yet on http://ortusregni.com/learn_to_play/.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Carr
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
One day the apes will rule the earth. I'll be safe but I don't fancy your chances much.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That what we were thinking but for both but were a little uncertain with (1). There was some disagreement as to how the rules were worded, there was a belief that "in the field" should have read "in the fief" eg the targeted palace / castle (which I guess would also raise the question of are you able to field army cards to defend towers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
You may use your army to defend against any militiary attack (not intrigues). Your army reserve should be thought of as the spread out forces in your earldom that can be called on for assistance, but not actually mustered for fighting, yet.

When you are defending or attacking, you may only use as many army cards from your reserve pool as you are able to support. No more. This is what makes the King and Mercenary positions so useful, since they can permanently support additional army cards without needing land to do it. The Mercenary is abstractly supported by "money" and the King is abstractly supported by "the other earls" who sent the troops to form the king's army.

So the answer to (1) is that you may defend with (field) any army cards from your army reserve pool if *any* fief(s) can support them irrespective of the target (whether towers, castles, or fiefs).

The answer to (2) is that you my only attack with (field) a number of army cards from your army reserve pool that you can support amongst all your fiefs. Keep in mind, of course, that mercenaries and their free slots, as well as the king's army, does not require any support to be fielded.

A Note on Strategy and Protecting Towers. While fielding an army to protect your landed fiefs (with markets/land) is a no-brainer, fielding your army to protect your Towers is a tougher decision. In my experience, you should usually let the Towers be taken down except in some pretty specific instances: (1) by fighting your enemy you can take enough army cards away to weaken him in future rounds, forcing him to spend his action recruiting, (2) you are under intense pressure from many enemies at once and you will have a chance to recruit in between attacks, or (3) you have a very large army reserve pool and would rather sacrifice men than stone. Another consideration is which cards you have towered. By letting those cards be attacked, they go to your discard pool. Upon a later Bequeath, those cards could be available to draw again in a future round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Carr
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris, that's cleared it up perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ortus Regni
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Thanks for those questions *and* answers.

Good stuff.

I think we will add more on Fielding to the learn_to_play page, as well.

PS - This is off the thread's topic, but we have been experimenting with a Team format that we wanted to share (and it seems like people who know a thing or two about the game are reading this thread):

Two teams of two players, seated A1, B1, A2, B2.

When one player is eliminated from their team the remaining member of the team "picks up" their turn. We call this a pendulum round. So, if B2 is eliminated, the table round would end up being A1, B1, A2, then backwards to B1 again... then A1, to B1, A2, etc. Pendulum, back and forth (of course the Vikings fit into that somewhere, as well, but the remaining (last) B team player is always going to take a turn between the two remaining A players' turns).

In short, depending on the circumstances, it is not necessarily in the interest of one team to actually eliminate an opposing player, if that means that their "strong" teammate is going to start getting two turns. This format slightly changes the calculous, in team play, where you simply want to laser focus on removing one opposing player.

This format can potentially be merged with some of the rules we have been working on for tournament play: no attacks, not even political, for the first two rounds; and with a special victory condition that Kingship and Cathedral ownership for one full round, back to you, wins you the Kingdom by acclaim(!)

(Granting a first hand mulligan draw option is also popular.)

Just some evolving ideas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Carr
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting ideas for both team and tournament play. Definitely worth starting a new thread for further discussion I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.