Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I was busy posting some rules tips on another thread and thought it might be useful to start a thread devoted to common mistakes people make when playing PG. Please add any you know of.

Bidding:
- The first player has the option to start bidding. If he declines then he is not eligable to take part in any bids started by other players that turn.
- The next player now has the option to initiate bidding. Similarly if he declines he is out of the bidding for that turn.
- If a player wins the bid they initiated then the next player has the option to initiate bidding on another plant.
- If a player looses the bid they initiated then they have the option to iniate bidding on another plant.
-Once a player wins a plant they are no longer able to bid that turn.
-The overall effect is that, provided they do not decline the option to initiate bidding, every player can gain one plant on each bidding phase.

Building
You can leapfrog over other players cities when building to place a city "behind" them. You can leapfrog multiple cities in one go if you wish. To do this you pay (sum of all connection charges) + (cost of the city you are actually building).

Bureaucracy
While you usually remember to take the highest plant out of the Market and place it under the pile (in Step 1 & 2) it is easy to forget to remove plants from the Market once any player has built a number of cities equal to (or greater than) its value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
- Everyone must buy a power plant on the first turn, and you immediately refigure turn order for the first turn only.
- Pay attention to the difference between "phase" and "step". I liken the steps to gearing up -- first gear, second gear, third gear. You might finish the race in second gear; you might finish Power Grid in Step 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, one common mistake is:

Don't forget to discard lowest plant when hitting step 2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tex tex
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyMagic wrote:

Bureaucracy
While you usually remember to take the highest plant out of the Market and place it under the pile (in Step 1 & 2) it is easy to forget to remove plants from the Market once any player has built a number of cities equal to (or greater than) its value.

Remember to remove and replace those plants in the build phase. The Stage 3 fuel replenishment is different from Stage 2. If Stage 3 gets triggered in the build phase the correct fuel replenishment becomes the Stage 3 fuels.

vs vg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
And another:
If no Power Plant is auctioned during a round, then remove the lowest power plant from the market
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One we forget a lot is that No plant with a number lower than or equal to the number of cities connected by the player in 1st stays in the market. If 11 cities are connected by the player in first, for example, then Power Plant 11 and all lower numbered plants must be removed from the market if they are there, or drawn in a subsequent turn.

Note: This ONLY applies to the market. Player's plants are unaffected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another mistake is to think someone must power a number of cities equal to the ending condition (14, 15, 17 or 21) to end the game. You don't need to power cities to end the game. Simply connecting them (even if unpowered) will do the trick. You only need to power cities to win the game (you need more than anyone else, but it could be fewer than 14.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Luck
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One we forget a lot is that No plant with a number lower than or equal to the number of cities connected by the player in 1st stays in the market. If 11 cities are connected by the player in first, for example, then Power Plant 11 and all lower numbered plants must be removed from the market if they are there, or drawn in a subsequent turn.

"...the player in 1st?" I thought it was any player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Sullivan
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, yeah, but the player in 1st will always be the one with the most cities so his comment does make sense.

Like if there was the 11 plant in the market and the player in 1st had 10 cities connected while the player in 2nd had 9 and then builds 2 during his building phase... then the 11 plant would be removed from the market because the player in FIRST has reached 11 cities

get it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Barney wrote:
well, yeah, but the player in 1st will always be the one with the most cities so his comment does make sense.

Actually the player in 1st can have no more citiies than the 2nd player (primacy of place in a tie for cities is based upon owning the power plant with the highest number). So the 2nd or subsequent player can be the one who triggers the removal of the lowest numbered powerplant in the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
Black Barney wrote:

Actually the player in 1st can have no more citiies than the 2nd player (primacy of place in a tie for cities is based upon owning the power plant with the highest number). So the 2nd or subsequent player can be the one who triggers the removal of the lowest numbered powerplant in the market.

Half a dozen of one, six of the other. It's all the same.

The statement that it depends on the "first player" was superfluous, but not incorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheKeck wrote:
[Half a dozen of one, six of the other. It's all the same.

The statement that it depends on the "first player" was superfluous, but not incorrect.

At the risk of sounding like a dweeb, it isn't superfluous. It's wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
TheKeck wrote:
[Half a dozen of one, six of the other. It's all the same.

At the risk of sounding like a dweeb, it isn't superfluous. It's wrong.

No seriously, it's not wrong. In the moment that any given player has as many cities (or more) as the number on a power plant, that player is the number one player and triggered the removal of the power plant. If more than one player has the same amount of cities, then they both equally will trigger the power plant removal.

There is no circumstance where unixrevolution's statement is not true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...AND since the plant is supposed to be removed IMMEDIATELY, I believe, you can't even make a silly case for ties or such.

You only need to look at the player with the most cities (i.e., the player in first) when removing plants. You should remove a plant during building, though, if you check the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
While you usually remember to take the highest plant out of the Market and place it under the pile

surprise I completely missed that rule! No wonder my games were always ending in Step 2!!

Oh well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
With the exception of the first turn of the game, the leading player is determined during phase 1: Determine the Player Order.

It is possible that during the building phase, another player will build more cities than the leadin player currently has. Since the leading player builds last, this is not only possible but will probably happen many times during the game.

The removal of the plant from the auction market happens when any player builds to that number of cities, not just the leading player. And just because you are currently the player with the most ciites, doesn't mean that you are the leading player. That's not determined until the beginning of the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
With the exception of the first turn of the game, the leading player is determined during phase 1: Determine the Player Order.

It is possible that during the building phase, another player will build more cities than the leadin player currently has. Since the leading player builds last, this is not only possible but will probably happen many times during the game.

The removal of the plant from the auction market happens when any player builds to that number of cities, not just the leading player. And just because you are currently the player with the most ciites, doesn't mean that you are the leading player. That's not determined until the beginning of the next turn.

All right, I guess you got me there. Replace "in 1st" with "who has the most cities".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Czech Mate
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyMagic wrote:

I was busy posting some rules tips on another thread and thought it might be useful to start a thread devoted to common mistakes people make when playing PG. Please add any you know of.

Bidding:
- The first player has the option to start bidding. If he declines then he is not eligable to take part in any bids started by other players that turn.
- The next player now has the option to initiate bidding.

Excuse me for asking, but is the "next player" the person to the left, or is s/he the next person on the turn order track?

ie. do we ALWAYS follow the turn order track, or do we go clockwise for some aspects of the game? (Which would those be?)

thanks,
mikey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bidding is around the table. Other actions are up or down the player order track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harris
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
Bidding is around the table. Other actions are up or down the player order track.

I don't have the rules here with me, can you site where that is stated? I have always done bidding in player order same as the rest of the actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bolog wrote:
Karlsen wrote:

I don't have the rules here with me, can you site where that is stated? I have always done bidding in player order same as the rest of the actions.

To quote from the rules under Phase 2 Auction Power Plants: ...Continuing in clockwise order, the other players can make higher bids or pass. If a player passes, he may not re-enter the current auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harris
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that will teach me to read to quickly and pay too much attention to the highlighted sections.blush

My confusion came from the highlighted section in phase 2 that says

"Important: This phase is played in player order. The first player starts"

Not sure how much difference this will make in the play of the game but, may change who is willing to sit by who.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Czech Mate
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
bolog wrote:
Karlsen wrote:

To quote from the rules under Phase 2 Auction Power Plants: ...Continuing in clockwise order, the other players can make higher bids or pass. If a player passes, he may not re-enter the current auction.

Thanks. I agree that during the auction, bidding is done in clockwise order.

I think my question is still unanswered:

If a player passes when it is his/her turn to select a power plant for auction (ie s/he does not want to buy a plant this turn), does the person to the left select the power plant for auction, OR does the next person on the player order track choose the power plant to put up for auction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbrna wrote:
Karlsen wrote:
bolog wrote:
Karlsen wrote:

Thanks. I agree that during the auction, bidding is done in clockwise order.

I think my question is still unanswered:

If a player passes when it is his/her turn to select a power plant for auction (ie s/he does not want to buy a plant this turn), does the person to the left select the power plant for auction, OR does the next person on the player order track choose the power plant to put up for auction?

The player next on the player order track chooses the next plant to be auctioned, unless they have already bought a plant this turn in which case the option passes to the following in player order and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Czech Mate
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Is it safe to say BIDDING is the ONLY thing that goes in clockwise order?

Everything else follows the player order track, either up or down?

mikey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.