Hide
21 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » General

Subject: Updated Solo Impressions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maokai
msg tools
I recently got into Board games and I'm really enjoying it. Sadly enough, I'm unable to gather big enough group in my area to play often as I like, and when I do - they are mostly into short casual games like Love Letter, Coup, Forbidden Desert etc.

I decided my next purchase going to be a game that works well with just 1 player. Thunderstone Advance, Marvel Deck Building Game, Agricola and Sentinels of the Multivariate all came to mind in a quick research.

I think I'll skip deck-building games, and I own Dominion, and when I do get a group, they don't enjoy it much (even though they look fun in Solo). I'm posting here because I'm not sure how Agricola and Sentinels works as a solo game.

I find many good reviews about Sentinels as a Solo game, but those are quite out-dated. Some from the Kick-starter days, and since then - many solo games were introduced to the market. Shipping games to my country is quite expensive thing to do, so I'm looking for a "win" game here. Is Sentinels is the game for me? should I also aim for specific expansion that enhances Solo play?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro F
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sentinels could work with some trick. Coulduse three heroes by yourself or using the support variant in this forums.

Other game that works well solo is Rune Age, is a deck builder but not like Dominion at all. Thunderstone i didnt played (yet), but it sounds good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels is still great as a solo game. That's how I really started to love it. You'll want to play with three-hero teams to start with; any more and there's too much to keep track of initially.

None of the expansions particularly affect solo play vs any other number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can handle a bit of fiddliness, Sentinels is an excellent solo experience.

It's a little more difficult without other players to make suggestions, but that's okay, since it is a bit on the easy side for a co-op game. (The difficulty can be increased using advanced mode if you find it too easy.)

Solo Agricola isn't really playing the game; you kind-of play by yourself trying to beat your own best score. It's an OK puzzle, but fairly dry and rather long.

I'm not familiar with the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddy Hall
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Sentinels of the Multiverse and it plays well solo. You basically just need to pick 3-5 heroes and play them all. This game does have a lot of finicky bookkeeping, especially if you are doing it all yourself.

If you think the co-operative super hero game might interest your friends, I would say definitely go for this game.

If you will only be playing this alone, get the app. You'll save some money and have a better solo experience. It's great and takes all of the work out of playing with the cards and counters. Actually, this might be a good idea anyway, so you can try the game and see if it appeals to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that there's a lot of book-keeping in this game, specially solo. Avoid this if you it'll bother that every turn you'll add/remove a health token somewhere (or everywhere). It will occupy quite space too in the table. You will need to play with a minimum of 3 Heroes, which might or not concern you. Also playing solo you're bound to make lots of rules mistakes while playing so need to not be a perfectionist to enjoy it.

On the other hand, the narrative this game creates solo is great, it really brings out a comic book feeling and quite worthwhile experience. AFAIK there hasn't been another game to recreate that feeling yet.

No expansion enhances the solo game in any other way than adding more Villains, Heroes and Environments.

As a side note, for a short solo game I'd recommend Onirim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Herring
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels is a great solo game.

I would recommend a few things here. First, if you have an Ipad, android tablet, or PC, you can play the App/PC version of it for a smaller investment. It is a good way to go.

Along the same line, the Sentinels sidekick app is great when playing solo as it helps you track the math easier.

As others have said, start with 3 heroes and go against an easy villain like Baron Blade.

If you want to see some solo play in action: http://boardgamegeek.com/video/60777/sentinels-multiverse-wr...

It will help you understand the rules. I have an earlier one using some of the base characters as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironhide1 wrote:
I play Sentinels almost exclusively solo. There is a lot to keep up with, with +1 DMG here, -1 DMG damage there, immune to this DMG over there, but that does not take away from the fun of picking up 3-5 heroes and wailing away on a dastardly villain to me.

This is actually what I tend to play on my lunch hour at work.

There is this little challenge here...that encourages challenging yourself with solo play of the game.

Sentinels of the Multiverse Monthly Challenge #7: Base Game Redux

This months challenge will soon be wrapping up and I would assume a new one will be starting soon (likely with the first expansion).

I personally would just start with the base set and see if it's your cup of tea. Some folks complain about the fiddliness of it with the aforementioned DMG effect. However, most of the time it's not enough to take away from the enjoyment. I personally feel like it really captures the flavor of a group of superheroes battling evil with the fate of the world in the balance.

***EDIT***
And agree with what several others above had said. Play with a minimum of 3 heroes, optimum to me seems to be 4. I've heard a lot of people get frustrated when they tried to play with 2 heroes. It's not built to work that way.
(Even though one of their early story challenges was to win just that way, 2 heroes vs. 1 villain)

I run the above mentioned solo challenges and it's a blast to run and play. I stick with 3 heroes normally- that's enough to keep the game fresh and interesting, but not enough to make me go crazy trying to keep track of everything.

Though, surprising, I'm not a fan of the app for the simple reason that I want to play the app more often so the real physical game gets left alone. Makes me feel sad for it! Though getting the app is a great way to see if you like the game. It's only $10 so it's a good investment to see if this is enjoyable or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels is one of the few games I really like playing solo. I usually run 4 heroes. At first it might get overwhelming at times, because you have to remember all modifiers at all times and there's no one to remind you, but believe me, it gets a lot easier with time. You'll still make mistakes every now and then, but if you're the type that is ok with continuing even after making a mistake I think you'll like playing Sentinels solo. If you're the type that considers a game "tainted" after making a mistake and not worth playing anymore, I might be more wary in recommending this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacFarlane
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dougmysticeye wrote:
First, if you have an Ipad, android tablet, or PC, you can play the App/PC version of it for a smaller investment. It is a good way to go.
This is going to be the best way to get a good feel for the game, and once it has all the characters, for me there's no reason to ever play solo using a physical copy of the game. Ideally I prefer to play the game with other people, but I would consider this the best option for playing solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy playing Sentinels of the Multiverse solo, when I am up for it. The book-keeping aspect of the game is terrible though; at least in my opinion. I hate having to keep track of so many different things. I find what works best for me is to use a ton of dice, tokens, and counters; including those that are included with the game along with some extras. If you can create a system that works for you it can be a very enjoyable solo experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are only playing solo, I would suggest just buying the app. It is very inexpensive and you don't have to worry about fiddliness, storage, or having to worry if you got a rule right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The bookkeeping is a nightmare-for example there's like eight different kinds of damage. And this character is immune to like three of them etc.

I like the game app ok but I'll likely never play the physical version again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schweitz
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I usually play Sentinels with my wife and we usually play two heroes each, but I've also played a couple games solo. I've played solo with three heroes and four heroes.

We use a free android app to keep track of everyone's health. As others have mentioned, there is also the official Sidekick app to keep track of health and other effects, but it's not free. We find that with the app, we use the plus/minus damage dealt tokens and plus/minus damage taken. We don't worry about the specific damage types or anything else. That stuff we can usually remember on the fly. In fact, you will get used to things and be able to remember most things without having to use tokens.

I'd say that the game works very well with three heroes. It also makes the easier bosses a little bit harder and more interesting. Your first games will take longer, but once you are familiar with the different heroes and villains they should be a bit quicker. I find that I usually need to play a hero at least twice to get a good feel if I like them or not. The first time I use a hero is usually spent learning their cards as I don't like to look through their deck before hand. I like to be surprised. So it is common for me to not see all of a hero's cards the first game, and I often don't understand their potential. I've written off some characters and later found them to be incredibly fun to play.

To sum it all up...Sentinels has a lot of stuff to keep track of, but there are apps that make it easier and over time it gets easier. Overall, it's a very fun game with people and solo. There is also a lot of good resources for this game online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played twice today solo, four characters each time. It did get a little fiddly (I don't use tokens to track HP for villains and heroes, I write those on a pad, though I do use tokens for other targets) and I'm pretty sure I missed a couple buffs/debuffs, but it was still fun and not a cakewalk.
I have tried a couple of the apps, but for some reason (not sure if it was my device) they distracted me from the game more than the notepad method. But they are great options.

I also don't really worry about damage type usually.
For solo or co-op, I think it's a great option, once you get used to the bookkeeping. Ton of replay value in just the Enhanced edition - then if you consider the expansions? Crazy.

I do the same, Eric - I will read the character's bio, but I just pick a character either randomly or who "looks cool" and learn the deck as I go. So I'm sure I'm not playing optimally, but I prefer the discovery of the deck that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
The only difference between solo and multi is that playing solo means you need to keep track of everything yourself. This is a LOT of work. However if you can handle that, this is arguably BETTER as a solo game....that way all your plans are co-ordinated and everyone is working for the good of the team.

I play this game on Steam, where it can only be played solo, and it absolutely rocks, but then the game keeps track of everything for you so it's easy (and an absolute pleasure) to play.

While I am here, I would recommend Darkest Night as an excellent game that is almost as good solo as multiplayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Taylor
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have yet to finish this game as a solo experience. I have tried but there is a lot of variations in the villains and card interactions that I easily make many mistakes during it. However I do not see it as a waste of time as I just take it as a win to the villain. Each of the heroes and villains play so differently that each of them practically requires a how to guide. To save time and to learn the proper way to play them, I signed up on Steam and purchased SotM for PC($15) and got the season pass($20) so I can get the expansions as they become available. I own the card sets and mini-expansions so I can not wait to learn how to play the others. All in all I will probably never solo this game with the cards ever again but still look forward to group playing it every chance I get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I used to play solo a lot, but now I have the app and I only play that solo.

The app is fantastic for solo games because the hardest part of a solo game is keeping track of multiple player's effects, and the least good part is setup and cleanup.

It can take 30 minutes to set up and tear down (combined) and an hour to play, while the app I can get that same game in 20 minutes.

However, if you are also going to play with friends you will want the card game.

If you are getting this game mostly for solo play get the app, for the price of the base game (retail) you can get the base game and all expansion material including the promos that they are progressively adding, which you have to either buy from someone or print out yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pell
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play physically, I suggest that you write up the games as you play them, as it'll make it easier to backtrack in case you make a mistake. Also you can kind of tell yourself a little story as you go through the game. Here's a brief excerpt of one of my writeups to give you an idea of what I mean.

12/30/14 - Mr, Fixer, The Naturalist, Engine of War Bunker, and KNYFE vs Plague Rat Advanced in Megalopolis.

* Setup: Plague Rat [85] starts with Plague Locus [13] in play. Fixer [28] draws Bloody Knuckles, Meditation, Grease Monkey Fist, and Alternating Tiger Claw. Natch [29] draws Crafty Assault, Bestial Shift x2, and Resilient Hide. Bunker [27] draws Auxiliary Power Source, Maintenance Unit, Turret Mode, and Recharge Mode. KNYFE [30] draws Prototype Servo-Gauntlet, Battlefield Experience, Kinetic Neutralizer, and Wrecking Uppercut.

* Round 1: Plague Rat plays Shadowy Ambush, then deals 3 irreducible to each hero [Fixer 25, Natch 26, Bunker 24, Knyfe 27]. Fixer Meditates for Driving Mantis, then Strikes the Plague Locus [12] and draws the other Driving Mantis. Natch plays Resilient Hide and Transforms to The Nimble Gazelle, draws a third Bestial Shift. Bunker plays AuxPS, uses Locomotion, discards Turret Mode to destroy Shadowy Ambush, draws Ammo Drop. Knyfe plays Kinetic Neutralizer, deals 3 to Plague Rat [82], draws Amplified Combatant. Megalopolis plays Paparazzi on the Scene.

* Round 2: Plague Rat plays Afflicted Frenzy, then deals his damage [Fixer 22, Natch 23, Bunker 21, Knyfe 24]. Fixer draws Jack Handle and Charge. Natch plays Crafty Assault, deals 2 to Rat [80] and Plague Locus [10], destroys Afflicted Frenzy, draws Environmental Allies. Bunker plays Ammo Drop, draws Grenade Launcher. Knyfe plays Amplified Combatant, deals 4 to Plague Rat [76] and 2 to Locus [8], draws For The Greater Good. Heroes discard Driving Mantis, Environmental Allies, Recharge Mode, and Prototype Servo-Gauntlet to get rid of the Paparazzi. Megalopolis plays Impending Casualty, Fixer discards Alternating Tiger Claw to get rid of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.