Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jan w
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'll be moving to Japan in two months time, following my s/o who's going to do a PhD at Tokyo University.

I have a pretty solid collection of games and I enjoy most that I own. However, we're moving by plane with just 2 bags and a carry-on. Games will be pretty far down the list of priorities of things to take with us, so I'm faced with a horrible choice to make: which games SHOULD I take? and which games COULD I take? with only two bags of luggage (at 23kg each).

So my question to you: which games from my collection (or outside of, if you have a game that you would add) would you take, and in which combination? Plus, we'll be gone for 3-4 years, so I'm looking for lasting appeal!

edit: and should be mostly 2 player, cause I'll do most gaming with my s/o!

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/kronik?gallery=larg...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest to take Castles of Burgundy, Dominion, Loveletter, Munchkin, Quirkle and either Stone Age, Le Havre and Tokaido

Why? The small ones won't take a lot of space or weight - even Dominion can be reduced to just the cards. But they're thematically widespread, so you won't be bored that easily. Burgundy and Stone Age are highly strategic, so your taste for more complex games may be satisfied. Plus they're playable without text - if you make new friends, you can introduce them to boardgames - that's why I added Tokaido, the theme might be an icebreaker

You could take Le Havre (or even Through the Ages), if you want a "heavy weight" game.

P.S.: Go should be very easily to get in Japan, as one of THE japanese games per se.

P.P.S.: Have fun abroad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan w
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That might already be more space than I'd like to sacrifice for games... if I'm thinking rationally, that is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Girardi
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Whoooooooooose House?
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just buy clothes when you get there... Also consider what may be available for repurchase upon arrival...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Lashley
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
Chance favors the prepared mind.
badge
Mundus vult decipi
mbmbmbmbmb
First off... Welcome to Japan!(in two months)laugh

I hope you enjoy your stay out here. As far as games are concerned... I agree that you should pack the lighter smaller stuff(as in physical weight) i.e. Glen More,Splendor,Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, Louis XIV, Guildhall.
They will keep you company until you decide to either

A. Ship a box of your big games to Japan either before you leave or get a loving family member to do it.

B. End up buying games out here either through the internet or one of the decent board game stores out here
http://www.arclight.co.jp/r_r_s/

http://www.yellowsubmarine.co.jp/shop/shop-017.htm

http://sugorokuya.jp/

C. Curl up into a ball and cry.

It would be hard for me to be without games like, Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization,
Ginkgopolis, Le Havre,Troyes, London (first edition), The Castles of Burgundy...etc. So that is why I would suggest option A. or B.

Just know that you will eventually increase your collection more and add it to the insultingly small space that you will live in out here in Japan.

There are plenty of expats out here, though, that have game collections that you could easily experience.whistle

When my wife and I first moved out here, our go-to games consisted of,
Jambo, Thurn and Taxis, Balloon Cup, Dominion, Battle Line and Ingenious: Travel Edition.

Whatever your choice just remember that there are ways to get your games out here or to add new ones to your collection. Start with bringing a few on the plane and then work your way up to more.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sayre
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lived in China for several years.

Tip #1: Consolidate many games into a small number of boxes.
Tip #2: Follow Timothy's advice on shipping games. This will end up being cheaper than repurchasing or building up a new collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered your collection by your ratings and filtered out the ones I know.

From your coops I'd take these three:
Hanabi (2010)
Flash Point: Fire Rescue (Multilingual first edition) (2011)
Elder Sign (2011)

From the rest I'd pick:
Race for the Galaxy (2007) OR San Juan (2004)
Seasons (2012)
Splendor (2014)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you have a possibility to store the games you won't take with you somewhere in Brussels or will you have to "trash" them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scribes
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kronik wrote:
Which games from my collection (or outside of, if you have a game that you would add) would you take...

Browsing your collection my eyes were drawn to;

Decktet - as a games system.

Forbidden Island - adding in a print of the unofficial layouts. For further longevity add in Ten New roles and Treasure Power-up Cards.

Flash Point - removing the original insert and packing 'Urban Structures' in the main box.

Xiangqi - because every collection should contain at least one Classic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super varal
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd take one game per time length. One quick, one medium, one long and possibly a super long if you play them with your partner. Possibly Mr. Jack, Innovation and maybe Le Havre or another lengthy game of your choosing. While you're in Japan you shuild buy a nice go set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.