Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the longest time (OK, a few months) I've wanted a copy of Plague and Pestilence. Something about the theme catched my fancy, and I'm a sucker for gruesome medieval-style art. When I first saw a picture of that Drought card, with the zombie-skeleton-thing avidly drinking while a peasant doubles over in desperation, I knew it had to be mine. Alas, it was hard to get.

Months later, a kind soul here in the Geek agreed to trade his unused, misplace copy of the game for a couple of games. And a couple of weeks later, it arrived, in pristine condition, all but eclipsing poor, misunderstood High Society that arrived on the same drop.

Now, my wife is not a gamer. Not by a long shot. But, surprisingly, she had enjoyed Lost Cities a lot, and then Guillotine. Her only complaint was that the games were "kinda too nice". That she couldn't "do really bad things to me". She doesn't know the term "take-that", but she's a born "take-that-er".

So, I thought, here is a game that is pretty much nothing but "take that". A nice looking game to boot. And, if fires, earthquakes, droughts, famines and the Plague do not fill the "do really bad things to you" urge, well, I'd better be on my way to Timbuctu by the morning.
So, I leave the game box over the dinner table, where I always place things when I want her to notice them without showing them to her. (She knows that and always checks; it's little things like that that can make marriage kinda cool).

"What's this?", she asks, in a not-entirely-unfriendly voice.

"That? Oh, just a game that arrived today", I answer, nonchalantly.

"Well", she responds, "of course it's a game. It's a transparent box full of cards and dice; that screams game to me. And even if it didn't, I'd know it's a game. It's always a game". She's still not entirely unfriendly, so, I think, it's now or never.

"Actually, I think you'll like it. It's called 'Plague and Pestilence'". An eyebrow arches dangerously. "You see, you build up a nice, medieval little town, and when the Plague arrives, you try to kill the other one's people. The one whose villagers are killed first loses". The eyebrow lowers and a tingle appear in her eye. My pretty yet ghoulish wife is interested.

A couple of hours later, when the little tyke is in bed --and sleeping-- we sit down. I explain to her: "These cards represent people; we start with 50 people each; and these are event cards. We start with 5 each.
There are two phases on the game; first, Prosperity. On each turn, you do three things: Roll the dice and, according to the table here, you get from 0 to 20 people. Then, you take cards until your hand is full to six, and then you play one and only card".

"OK".

"When a card called 'Death Ship' appears, the Plague is in town. We turn over the tables to the Pestilence side, and then each turn is the same, except that you roll dice to lose people, not get it".

"OK", she says, eyeing her cards. From the twinkle in her eye, I know she has something bad, an Earthquake or a Famine. No Bumper Harvest can bring that killer glare to her eye.

I explain the rest of the rules. If you play a War card, we both roll dice and the highest wins; then we both lose people acording to the card. And the Sewer, City Wall and Aqueduct are "improvements" that you play on your side to get bonuses, you can only have one at a time, and you can only lose them as a result of a bad card.

"OK". And she starts. She always starts (except when she doesn't want to, which is not often).

She rolls the dice and gets an 11; that's 15 more people for her. Then she plays a Viking raid on me and kills 10 of mine.

"This is fun", she states after I roll a 3 for "no Pop. increase".

Long story short, by the time she draws the Death Ship, she has a 155 people metropoli and I have a small-but-nice-to-live-in 65 people town. I put up a good fight on the second part of the game, but I lose --and she still has 55 people.

"I'd like to play this some more", she says, and I know we have a winner.

So, Plague and Pestilence is quite a good game in a "take-that-and-I-mean-take-that-and-suffer" kinda way, that plays good for two and, I imagine, would be even better with 3-4. Highly recomended --if you can find it, that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"take-that-and-I-mean-take-that-and-suffer"

Ahhh women. Such fragile creatures.

robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Sorbara
Italy
Venaria Reale
(TO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife would love it too, if I could find a copy! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Stone
United States
New Paltz
New York
flag msg tools
mb
You are correct. You will have a great time with 3 or 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to track down a copy on Ebay a couple of years ago, and it was mainly because my wife liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really good game with more players. Causing wars that involve two other players make them sooooo much more fun. Beware the cute but quiet girl in the corner. If she just keeps her mouth shut and doesn't do anything mean to anyone then she will win easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Pehr
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't exactly get my Wife to play this (although she did happily join in a game of "Zombies!!!" that I brought to a party), but she understands and approves of it as an ideal game for the crazed fellows I habitually game with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr.Octopus wrote:
My wife would love it too, if I could find a copy! shake

This is what everyone says. I have been trying to find a copy for over 10 years. How this guy found one after only 3 months of looking is quite impressive indeed.

Well done sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky, I bought it when it first came out. It has served me well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.