Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread's purpose is twofold.

First, I could use a little advice. I plan on escaping the con to go have dinner with an old friend one of the evenings while I'm attending. I'm looking for a nice-ish place, but not formal (or not TOO formal, anyway). Somewhere where I can drop $100 for a two-person dinner/drinks. Transportation ain't an issue (she has a car), but somewhere in Dallas or within ten or so miles of the con to reduce driving would be swell. Any places jump to mind?

Secondly, I've seen sporadic mentions of restaurants and stores. Could you list those that are accessible or at least, closest and most viable to the con? I'm unsure about the food situation for four days, though I'm familiar with con grub (granola bars and Red Bull).

Thanks in advance, Texas peeps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie DuBois
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hi Greg,

Last year at BGG.CON one of Aldie's female helpers was making restaurant recommendations for anyone who asked - she was a fount of dining knowledge - I wish I could remember her name. Hopefully she'll post here with some recommendations for you. We ate at two of the places she recommended and found both to be excellent, although our price range was considerably lower than the special meal out that you're looking for.

With regard to food at the con itself last year the food court in the mall between the hotel and the conference rooms was open for meals more during the weekdays than on Saturday and Sunday. As I remember it, there were perhaps three businesses open for lunch only on Sat & Sun - Burgers, Cajun, and Chinese. On Thursday & Friday there were more choices available in the food court. There's an office tower attached to the mall, which explains the food court hours - not a lot of workers on the weekends.

Also, there were signs with phone numbers for Pizza delivery posted in the main gaming room. For those who couldn't stand to leave the gaming action.

It was really easy to grab a few geeks to go out for a meal or order a pizza. There is a tram line that stops right next to the hotel, so you don't need to take a cab just to get to a restaurant - the Irish pub we went to was on this line. One night we piled into a cab and went to a nice Italian place in a trendy shopping district. Once we split the fare multiple ways, it really wasn't expensive.

I'm a Seattle-ite, so one thing I missed greatly was access to good espresso. I'm considering bringing my own coffee paraphenalia to the hotel to safisfy my addiction. laugh I did bring snacks into the gaming room last year to keep us fueled into the wee hours of the morning.

Hope this was helpful. Have a great meal out.

Julie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie and I are discussing an FAQ thread which maybe will get fired up later this week.

Suffice it to say...don't get alot of ideas of food places within walking distance...there isn't much downtown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Abacus - you must go here. It's my favorite restaurant in Dallas, and you MUST order Lobster Shooters.

http://www.guidelive.com/portal/page?_pageid=33,97400&_dad=p...

It's right on your budget level - maybe a *hair* over, but damn - it's a fine place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
As a second suggestion you could go to Derk's favorite place: Bob's Steak & Chop. It is by far the best steakhouse in Dallas - well maybe Del Frisco's touches it, but Bob's is closer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for your $100 I agree with Aldie on Abacus

If you are dying for the best steak you've ever eaten, Bob's Steak & Chop House is within 15 minutes of the hotel and is widely considered one of the best steak houses in the entire country. Your price range would probably be a little low (it's probably 60/head average if you keep the alcohol consumption to low-end wine)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Reeves
United States
Akron
Oh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Abacus - you must go here. It's my favorite restaurant in Dallas, and you MUST order Lobster Shooters.

It's right on your budget level - maybe a *hair* over, but damn - it's a fine place.

I always see a small herd of people there when I go to Chuy's across the road. The wife and I always wondered if it was any good.

I guess now we'll have to go there for the next big dinner date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Stumpf
United States
Gig Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Seattle-ite as well and I happen to work for what some call the evil empire. 9 years there and I require good coffee on a daily basis. I will definitely be bringing coffee to the conference. People are welcome to stop by my room for a cup of good coffee.

On another note, I love good food. I love to cook good food and I love to eat good food. I also love good wine. I'll be travelling to the conference on my own, so I would be up for going out for some meals with others. I'm not sure what sounds better right now, lobster shooters or steak...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved that Irish Pub that was just a short subway ride away. The food was awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

Excellent! That looks plenty fine. A hair over is cool. Thanks for the input, Abacus it shall be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion Lola is much better than abacus,

resturants in a few miles of BGG that I like

Standard, Green Room, The French Room, Lola, Abacus, Hectors on Henderson, Watels, Bread Winners. Also I know of a bunch of dives in the area also that are pretty good.

Also check out http://www.chowhound.com/ to check out what other poeple are thinking.

All I can think of at the moment I will add some more if they come to mind

Edit - Sorry ap I missed the 100$, With out drinks some prices - The french room (150$ to 200$ a person), Lola, Abacus and watels (50$ to 75$, I think both lola and Abacus have Prix Fixe tasting menus which is the way to go), Standard and Hectors a little less, and bread winners a bit less also.

Geosmores

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AP

Ok I am dumb I forgot my current favorite resturant. Stephan Pyles which is walking distance from the con. Here is a link http://www.stephanpyles.com/index.asp

Also here are a few more that I have eaten that have been pretty good that are close to the BGG.con Sambucas, Teppo, Nobu, Capital Grille, Hibiscus, Ziziki's, Other than Nobu and Capital Grille which are right at your price the rest should fall under.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d do it myself if I had the time and were going to the con (I´m not soblue )- How about a Geeklist ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.