Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
I haven't seen that review, but yeah, if a review was given with the misinformation that Titans consume capacity instead of the fact that they usually provide capacity, then I would consider that review to be of little value. In fact that is such a radical departure from the rules of the game that I wouldn't even consider it a legitimate review of the actual game.

If players are finding that there is a lot of pressure for the Expand action to gain Districts, then I suspect they are misunderstanding the game on a relatively basic level. The Expand action should be if anything reducing pressure on the need to fight Titans. Here is a relevant quote from Mr. Laukat during playtesting, "I think for now I'd like to keep capacity on the Titan cards. My worry is that taking it away makes Expanding more important than I wanted it to be (I stuck the "Expand" action in there mostly as a pressure valve)...."

In a two player game I wouldn’t expect the players to take the Expand action even every game. With three or four I would expect the Expand action to be taken maybe as often as once per player with some players getting more than one, but others ignoring it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just came home from my bi-weekly game night. We played The Ancient World for the first time. Blocking was not a major issue for us.

The player that finished second did some blocking. He blocked on the Expand and Research actions. This helped him some, but I was able to mitigate it fairly easily.

This is an excellently crafted and tight game. I am looking forward to giving it another go.

The only other serious worker placement games I have played are Stone Age and Pret A Porter. The Ancient World stacks up very favorably with them. Pret A Porter is definitely heavier, but The Ancient World felt tighter to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just finished listening to The Secret Cabal talk about The Ancient World. Seems like they wanted to like the game more than they actually did. They didn't complain about blocking, but they thought the titans didn't really feel like a menace, they were too easily killed, and the game in general ended too abruptly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lawhun
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
steveg700 wrote:
Just finished listening to The Secret Cabal talk about The Ancient World. Seems like they wanted to like the game more than they actually did. They didn't complain about blocking, but they thought the titans didn't really feel like a menace, they were too easily killed, and the game in general ended too abruptly.

I think I would take Tom Vasel and Rahdo's opinions over whoever the Secret Cabal is.

And I'm trying to understand how the titan's aren't a menace when each time you kill one, you have (4/6 * level) chances to lose the ability of one of your empire cards, and most of the time it seems like a decent attack or turn relies on making use of pretty much every card you have gained thus far.

Admittedly I haven't played it yet, as I just learned about this game (interestingly enough, I was looking for deck builder games and the Cool Stuff Inc website mistakenly listed TAW as one) but I hope to remedy that very soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
spaminator wrote:
steveg700 wrote:

I think I would take Tom Vasel and Rahdo's opinions over whoever the Secret Cabal is.

Well, I've never met anyone infallible yet, so I tend to evaluate the arguments people provide to support their position rather than dwell too much on who's issuing the arguments. But then again, the Cabal have as good a track record with me as Tom or Rahdo.

Quote:
And I'm trying to understand how the titan's aren't a menace when each time you kill one, you have (4/6 * level) chances to lose the ability of one of your empire cards, and most of the time it seems like a decent attack or turn relies on making use of pretty much every card you have gained thus far.

Admittedly I haven't played it yet, as I just learned about this game (interestingly enough, I was looking for deck builder games and the Cool Stuff Inc website mistakenly listed TAW as one) but I hope to remedy that very soon.

The titans never attack. Thematically, they're supposed to have been leveling civilizations for millennia, but in the game the player decides when to strike them. The pressure on the player is more the race of who's going to run in and beat the other players to popping the pinatas rather than a desperate bid to tackle the titans before they can rain havoc on your people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.