Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about trying a card game. I'm not interested in the collecting madness, just putting together a basic, fun little game.

I'm open to other suggestions, but I've read some geeklists and game entries and such and narrowed down to two that stand out, Rage (the werewolf one) and Deadlands: Doomtown.

Rage:
Seems like it would be fast, furious, bloody and fun.

Deadlands:
Love, love, love the theme.

Based on the following criteria, am I on the right track with these two games and which would you folks recommend?

1. Want to just buy a couple starters and some boosters and not worry about acquiring thousands of cards and building finely tuned decks. Might continue to buy an occasional booster or such to add variety.

2. Prefer fairly simple rules and fast playing time.

3. Will usually only have two players, possibly three on occasion.

4. Funny, weird, gross, bizarre cards/art/game play is a big bonus.

No Star Wars card game recommendations, please.

I'm aware that there are also non-collectible card games out there. I own the Last Testimony of Jacob Hollow game (I think that's the name) and hope to play that one soon.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A card game for me: Rage? Deadlands? Something else?
I played Doomtown when it first came out and I liked it a lot. From what I remember, I don't think a starter and a couple boosters will be that satisfying. While it is possible to play that way, I think that tuning a deck around a certain strategy is the way to go. Actually, in Doomtown you have to tune for two elements: the card's poker value and what it does in the game (Dude, Action, Deed, Hex, Gadget, etc.) If you're willing to spend some time (and money?) on it, it's a fun game with a great theme and mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a two player card game, the best game is Netrunner. The fact that one player is the runner and the other the Corp allows you to switch periodically and play the game from a totally different perspective.
The drawback is that Netrunner is OOP. However cards turn up on Ebay very frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:

1. Want to just buy a couple starters and some boosters and not worry about acquiring thousands of cards and building finely tuned decks. Might continue to buy an occasional booster or such to add variety.

I too played Doomtown when it was active and agree with Jim that it's the kind of game that is best with a deep collection of cards. Also, note the "buy an occasional booster" plan doesn't really work with long-dead CCGs; usually, you will buy someone else's used collection for a deep discount.

Quote:
2. Prefer fairly simple rules and fast playing time.

Doomtown is more complex than most CCGs; playing time is longer than some but fits within an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose I should have said that I would like to purchase either a couple starters and a booster box (or two, depending on cost), OR perhaps buy a smallish used collection.

I would trade, as well, if anyone wants to discuss an offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
A booster box or two for Doomtown might do the trick. Though, your deck building options will most likely be limited. If you can get your hands on the first few episodes of cards, there weren't as many factions in play. It might make it a little easier to build a deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic is quite affordable, if you make just one rule for your group; no rare cards in any deck. You get much of the fun of playing magic without spending a huge amount of money collecting the rares. Typically, a booster box will have 3-5 of every uncommon and plenty of common cards. Since you a limited to no more than 4 copies of any one card, this is just about perfect.

You could save your rare cards to play others, or sell the darn things to finance your addiction... er.. I mean hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though Deadlands appeals more, I've found more affordable Rage stuff for sale. Also, I've got a better chance of getting my wife to play that one.

Question: Would two starter decks and an Umbra booster box (found 'em cheap) be enough to get a good feel for the game and figure out if I like it? Or will I need a box (or small collection) of the earlier stuff?

Thanks for your comments so far--appreciate 'em all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone?

By the way, what's the difference between the Limited and Unlimited?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being basically a beat each other to death kind of game, you might find Umbra a bit light on your basic fighting cards.
You might get enough from a couple of starter decks, but your choices will be limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.