Entdecker: Exploring New Horizons» Forums » General

Subject: Entdecker suitable as next step after gateway games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making a reference list for BGGers about this question: What games are suitable for people who enjoy Settlers of Catan (the social aspects of the trading, the negotiation, interaction, and the civilization building and resource management), and are looking for something similar or for the next step? The criteria: * Good with 4 players * Plays in 1-2 hours * Not too much heavier than Settlers of Catan, but nothing lighter * A fun interactive experience * Not too dry/abstract.
Entdecker is one of the 25 games I've selected for the list.
Do you think Entdecker would appeal to players coming from Settlers of Catan, and why or why not? To what extent would it be a good choice for this purpose?

Here's the information I currently have on the list for Entdecker, which I submit for the comment and correction of people who have played the game.

-------------BEGIN LIST COMMENT-------------
BGG Weight: 2.36; Rating: 6.77; Rank:#268
Designer: Klaus Teuber
Players: 2-4 Just with two: Yes, excellent.
Cost: $39.95 Duration: 90 minutes
Complexity: Low-Medium
Mechanics: Tile laying
Description: Naval exploration game
Tutorial: http://www.profeasy.com/Entdecker_Eng/index.html
Review: http://bgg.cc/thread/37073
Theme:
Luck: Low-Medium
Confrontation (Vicious factor):
Tension:
Interaction: Low-medium
Social:
Components: Medium
Comparisons: Like an advanced form of Carcassonne

We don’t want something light like Carcassonne, is Entdecker truly better? Will a tile laying game like this have enough going on for us?
-------------END LIST COMMENT-------------

Entdecker is #2 on the list, I would ask that you please add any comments on its suitability there (although any corrections to the above information can be placed here), since that's where they'll get the highest visibility and be most beneficial to others. Hopefully the list will prove useful as a point of reference to others in the future as well, so feel free to comment on any of the other suggested possibilities on the list as well.

The Ultimate Next Step List: What should you choose after Settlers of Catan?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17146
#2 Entdecker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, seeing as Entdecker and Settlers were originally part of the same game (I think I remember hearing that somewhere), I'd say the depth is quite similar. It just adds a few new mechanics that noobs might not have encountered. I'd move them on to Power Grid, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoplosternum
United Kingdom
Romford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm.

I am not sure this would be an especially good pick for none gamers/new gamers. There are plenty of calculated risks which might lead to a bit of analysis paralysis and should definitely benefit a 'gamer' over a none-gamer.

So while the game has plenty of luck in it, its also a bit of a gamers game in my view. It will be quickly clear to any 'gamers' that if two people are really competing hard over an island the likely benificiaries are likely to be the other player(s). Likewise squabbling over huts.

I think this is more suitable for some hardened gamers who want something a bit lighter and more random - but still with a range of viable short and long term tactics and strategies, rather than an especially good gateway game.

It's also a little on the long side - especially when learning - for what it is.

This game has low player interaction, although you certainly can set up opponents for nice plays if you are not careful. Another reason that this IMHO is a light game for 'gamers' rather than a game light enough for none gamers / new gamers.

Bonhanza would be my choice, although some might consider it lighter than settlers. If they can handle the trading in Settlers this should go down well. Plenty of strategy but quick and humourous. Works well with 4 and has stacks of interaction.

Evo, Ticket to Ride and Trias are all reasonably light (like settlers) games with plenty of interaction and are quickish. They all play well with four.

If you want more complexity something like Primordial Soup or Puerto Rico would be better follow up games. PR is only really a problem if you play with a split of expert PR players and inexperienced PR players. Its actually a very good game when people don't know all the optimal strategies and builds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.