Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making a reference list for BGGers about this question: What games are suitable for people who enjoy Settlers of Catan (the social aspects of the trading, the negotiation, interaction, and the civilization building and resource management), and are looking for something similar or for the next step? The criteria: * Good with 4 players * Plays in 1-2 hours * Not too much heavier than Settlers of Catan, but nothing lighter * A fun interactive experience * Not too dry/abstract.
Attika is one of the 25 games I've selected for the list.
Do you think Attika would appeal to players coming from Settlers of Catan, and why or why not? To what extent would it be a good choice for this purpose?

Here's the information I currently have on the list for Attika, which I submit for the comment and correction of people who have played the game.

-------------BEGIN LIST COMMENT-------------
BGG Weight: 2.38 ; Rating: 7.28; Rank: #87
Designer: Marcel-Andre Casasola Merkle
Players: 2-4 (Best with 2, good with 2-4) Just with two: Yes, excellent
Cost: $26.35 Duration: 60 minutes
Complexity: Light-Medium
Mechanics: Tile-laying
Description: Ancient Greek city building
Review: http://bgg.cc/thread/127531
Theme: Medium – somewhat abstract
Luck: Medium – drawing tiles/cards
Confrontation (Vicious factor): Medium
Tension: Low
Interaction: Low
Social: Low
Components: High
Comparisons:

Can we expect considerable down time here? And not enough interaction? And is this tile laying game perhaps too dry? More suitable just for two?
-------------END LIST COMMENT-------------

Attika is #4 on the list, I would ask that you please add any comments on its suitability there (although any corrections to the above information can be placed here), since that's where they'll get the highest visibility and be most beneficial to others. Hopefully the list will prove useful as a point of reference to others in the future as well, so feel free to comment on any of the other suggested possibilities on the list as well.

The Ultimate Next Step List: What should you choose after Settlers of Catan?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17146
#4 Attika

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use it as a gateway game with great success.

Just make sure you use the "3 Amphora Rule" when playing against more than 1 person. The "3 Amphora Rule" is a variant that rewards the player who connects two shrines with 3 amphoras instead of victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kayl
United States
Seal Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Unlike Traders of Genoa) Attika is definitely a gateway/post-Catan game... and an excellent one at that. My reservations are based, not on the game, but on your requirements:

1) Four players - If you have four equally (un)skilled players, you're probably okay. Personally, I try to avoid this with more than two players and but adore it for two.

2) It's absolutely nothing like Catan. (Which is neither intrinsically good or bad.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.