Louis XIV» Forums » General

Subject: Louis XIV suitable as next step after gateway games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making a reference list for BGGers about this question: What games are suitable for people who enjoy Settlers of Catan (the social aspects of the trading, the negotiation, interaction, and the civilization building and resource management), and are looking for something similar or for the next step? The criteria: * Good with 4 players * Plays in 1-2 hours * Not too much heavier than Settlers of Catan, but nothing lighter * A fun interactive experience * Not too dry/abstract.
Louis XIV is one of the 25 games I've selected for the list.
Do you think Louis XIV would appeal to players coming from Settlers of Catan, and why or why not? To what extent would it be a good choice for this purpose?

Here's the information I currently have on the list for Louis XIV, which I submit for the comment and correction of people who have played the game.

-------------BEGIN LIST COMMENT-------------
BGG Weight: 3.10; Rating: 7.41; Rank: #54
Designer: Rudiger Dorn
Players: 2-4 (best with 4, good with 2 or 4) Just with two: Yes, good.
Cost: $23.95 Duration: 90-120 minutes
Complexity: Medium-heavy
Mechanics: Area majority game
Description: Area majority game set in 17th century French royal court
Review: http://bgg.cc/thread/78842
Theme:
Luck:
Confrontation (Vicious factor):
Tension:
Interaction: High
Social:
Components:
Comparisons:

For an area control game, are we better to pick something else? Is it too dry and complex?
-------------END LIST COMMENT-------------

Louis XIV is #20 on the list, I would ask that you please add any comments on its suitability there (although any corrections to the above information can be placed here), since that's where they'll get the highest visibility and be most beneficial to others. Hopefully the list will prove useful as a point of reference to others in the future as well, so feel free to comment on any of the other suggested possibilities on the list as well.

The Ultimate Next Step List: What should you choose after Settlers of Catan?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17146
#20 Louis XIV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just have to say, and don't take this the wrong way, but seeing post after post of these, each for a different game, is irritating as hell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
I just have to say, and don't take this the wrong way, but seeing post after post of these, each for a different game, is irritating as hell.

I agree, especially since you even say not to respond in this thread, but in the original geeklist. That makes each thread next-to-useless except for visibility, and while the geeklist is interesting it doesn't need to be in everyone's face like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.