Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My last proposal was tried and untried, so let's try again. This is a mockup of my view of the "next step" for BGG. The advantages are:

+ menu area cleaned up
+ single line sub-menu
+ reduced (over)use of colors
+ quickbar moved to side, flexible size, vastly improved (could have "pages" still)
+ user/search/mail info moved to its own "box"
+ margins/spacing consistent

For those of you with less than 1600 resolution, don't get bent out of shape. This is just way BGG looks for me (plus my changes). It would still basically all fit at 800x600 (with some minor abbreviations for the really long sub-menu lines, like Games/Forums instead of Games/Game Forums).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "user box" is kind of hack-ish, but it's all misc stuff. The user name could go on the right side of the menu. The search box/options could float outside of a box. Etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.S. Ahlstrom
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like many, many of your changes but where's the BoardGameGeek guy? In fact, there's no name of the website other than BGG anywhere on the page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could slide the menu over and the side bar down to accommodate it. It would just mean shortening the menu (somehow) to make up for the used space. I have the BGG guy adblocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oskari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I don't use the Recently Viewed or Hot Games modules at all, moving more stuff to the leftmost column sounds like Bad Idea (TM) to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
+ quickbar moved to side, flexible size, vastly improved (could have "pages" still)

Quickbar is great. But i don't think i want an extra column just for it (and some google ads). I don't use the left sidebar now.

Quote:
+ user/search/mail info moved to its own "box"

Another need for the left side column. No thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I like it, but please leave:

(or a variant of this image) in the corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup menu area cleaned up
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup single line sub-menu

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup quickbar moved to side, flexible size, vastly improved (could have "pages" still)
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup user/search/mail info moved to its own "box"

Cool ideas. I also have no need to see hot games, but I use recently viewed all the time and would love to see some more funcitonality moved from the top to the side. I would actually use the new menus if the submenus were only 1 height.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Search and QuickBar on the left. I used to turn off the Recently Viewed, but now I find I use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like some of those ideas. Let me see what I can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
I like some of those ideas. Let me see what I can do.

If you have specific things you don't like, let me know and I can tweak my mock up. I'm sure it's easier for me to edit gfx than it is for you to edit all the html/styles of the website (maybe not?). It's also easier to talk about ideas when you can see an example of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok - here's a quick version:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/profile.php?action=editlayout

Change to the latest revision. It has a few issues, and I'm not sure I did the search box right. Maybe break out login into a separate window.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
This has an issue with adblock on the right hand - it wants to reserve the space for the skyscraper. I'll see if I can work around that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie, when I make my browser window smaller with the new revision, the left column drifts into the center column (IE6).

I know you are still working on it and may know this already...

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
A better layout and a complete picture of BGG-guy (not just the cropped version). Nice, very nice!

Only one small problem: the quick bar disappeared...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the quickbar (collapsed on the left). As easy as it was to expand I was surprised by how dependent I've gotten of that quickbar...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Ok - here's a quick version:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/profile.php?action=editlayout

Change to the latest revision. It has a few issues, and I'm not sure I did the search box right. Maybe break out login into a separate window.

Very nice! Some comments:

+ Sub-menu background color is still light purple instead of gray.
+ I like your idea of separating "login". Maybe put it in a box at the top with BoardGameGeek as the title?
+ QuickBar expands over the modules. It's too wide. Could it be a single column, or more like my layout?
+ QuickBar doesn't remember expanded state on refresh. I assume this was because it was just a quick test.
+ Spacing between menu/quickbar/recent additions/all modules is inconsistent. Some places 0, some about 4, some about 12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Although this is an improvement in my opinion, I really like Ekted's design of the user/search/mail/logout box and the quickbar box. I think these would be further improvements. The current expanding quickbar box doesn't work very well: it's too small for its contents and it's an extra click, which makes it less 'quick'.
Besides these minor criticisms, thumbsup to Aldie (and Ekted of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
This has an issue with adblock on the right hand - it wants to reserve the space for the skyscraper. I'll see if I can work around that.

Is there another site on the internet where the admin is so sensitive/responsive to the feedback of users? I'm constantly amazed by the healthy relationship that exists within the BGG community between the users and administrators of this site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horrible for people who don't use the left side bar yet. Thumbnail:

full image: http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/629/snapwo8.jpg

Psease, please don't move anything vital (like quickbar or search box) to the sidebar.
It's 10% of the screen space wasted for very few lines of menu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
Psease, please don't move anything vital (like quickbar or search box) to the sidebar.
It's 10% of the screen space wasted for very few lines of menu.

It appears Aldie might make the layout just an option. I agree for people with 800x600 desktops that the sidebar stuff is too invasive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, i use 1280x1024. But it still uses up 10% of the screen width (as you see in the image), of which it uses only a tiny rectangle of 10% of the screen height.

And yes, at the moment, it's just an option. But i fear that any further improvements will only be made for people that use the newest layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the login, search, and quickbar functionality could be "modularized", then it could be optionally placed on the top or the left. I think that would accommodate just about everyone. The trick is to make it consistent in both places without wasting space or looking awkward. I'm not a "web person", but I'll help with ideas in any way I can (mockups, etc).

I'd hate to see a change I proposed make things worse for anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pɹɐɥɔᴉɹ
England
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Careful. There is a minefield around here.
badge
BANG!! Don't step on the mines!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a "narrow screener" but still value the contents of the left edge column.

I have a bug when the there is a large image making the main column larger than my screen width. The left edge stuff all appear down the right hand side - its a real mess.

A bug with the new menus means I cannot see the submenu choices for the Games menu. Working now.

I would expect the quickbar to be like the recently viewed or hot games lists, showing a single list of my entries, with an little "[Add »]" button at the bottom of the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
If the login, search, and quickbar functionality could be "modularized", then it could be optionally placed on the top or the left. I think that would accommodate just about everyone. The trick is to make it consistent in both places without wasting space or looking awkward. I'm not a "web person", but I'll help with ideas in any way I can (mockups, etc).

I'd hate to see a change I proposed make things worse for anyone.

Ekted, can you mockup a page where the mail, search, and login are along a thin line at the top? Since a lot of people disable the left hand bar, the login and search can't really go there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.