Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Longdin
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were given different explanations by two of the staff on the RG stall at Essen regarding how many new building cards come into play at the beginning of each turn. Having now read the rules, they imply a third interpreation. Can someone clarify how this works

1) ALL cards remaining on the track move down one space and ONE new card is added to the +5 spot

2) All remaining cards are moved down the track as far as they can go and EVERY space is filled with a new card

3) ONE new card is added to the +5 spot. If this is already filled, this card is moved to the +4 spot. If the +4 spot is filled, this one moves to the +3 spot. This continues until a free spot is found.

4) Some other variant (I can think of many)

The second option seems more intuitive and is generally the type of approach taken in games that use a similar mechanism but it is certainly not what the rules say (option 3). In our one play there weren't many cards on the track after a few had been selected because only one was coming back into play each time and nothing ever moved down the track.

I liked the game quite a lot but as someone said elsewhere the rules are amongst the worst I have come across in a long long time. I'm sure I have other questions but this one will do for starters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euron Crows Eye
United Kingdom
radcliffe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There will only ever be 2 options -

1} The row is full - add new card to 5 spot last card is discarded.

2} There is a space - add card to 5 spot slide rest down - no card discarded.

Thats how I believe it is played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mason
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Langy wrote:
There will only ever be 2 options -

1} The row is full - add new card to 5 spot last card is discarded.

2} There is a space - add card to 5 spot slide rest down - no card discarded.

Thats how I believe it is played!

We were taught the same way at the RG table in Essen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Longdin
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. This equates to my point 1 above which is how the girl at Essen taught us. Then another one of the demo'ers came along, saw the gaps in the track and said that can't happen and you should always fill it (point 2) and the rules suggest point 3. I don't particularly trust the demo'ers. Anyone get this explanation from a different source?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the rules pretty clear describe what you described under option 3. So, in the first turn there is only one card at the "+5"-spot, in the second this is pushed to the "+4"-spot (by the new card on the "+5"-spot), and the forum is not completely filled before the sixth turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
Chester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are also opaque as to what transpires to the que of buildings when a building is actually purchased from the forum. Do the cards move down to cover the now empty spot? I doubt it, but I can see someone making an argument (in their favor) that they should.

In the RAW, the only time the cards are moved down the forum track is when a new card is drawn at the beginning of the turn AND the +5 spot is full: cards are moved down the tack to make way for the new card. There is no other time that moving the cards is mentioned.

Any clarification about filling the Forum track would be helpful.

--Robert Crawford

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an ASL acronym: COWTRA. Concentrate on what the rules allow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Franke
Germany
Nuremberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion (and with at least some indirect back-up by the rules), the following happens, when a card is purchased and leaves a gap:

The rules state the following:

1. Whenever a new card is turned face-up, it is put on the +5 spot. Any card already there (and the subsequent ones) move down one space.

2. When alle 6 spaces on the forum are already occupied and a new card is turned face-up, the card on the 0-spot is "burned".

To this implies, that gaps are closed, when you move down cards. Only then, the zero card will be "burned" just when all 6 spots are full. E.g.:

a) Initial position
0 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5
C1 C2 C3 C4 C5 C6

b) Card 4 is bought

0 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5
C1 C2 C3 C5 C6

c) A new card (Card 7) is drawn by the next player and put on the +5 spot (it will not be put on the +3 spot, as the rules only mention it is put oon the +5 spot).
Now, if the gap at +3 was not closed, Card 1 would be burned:

c1)
0 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5
C2 C3 C5 C6 C7

But as the rules state, this only happens, when all 6 spaces are occupied. Therefore, the gap has to be closed, by moving down the cards 5 and 6.

c2)
0 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5
C1 C2 C3 C5 C6 C7

In my opinion, scenario c2) can be inferred to, by the two statements in the rules, mentioned above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bernard
United States
Fairview
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is being made way too complicated.

Since a player can only buy one building card, on your turn there is only ever going to be, at most, one gap in the table. The new building card always goes in the +5 space. If a card was bought from any spot (in the previous player's turn) other than the +5 space you have to move the rest of the cards cards down to open up the +5 space. In the unlikely event that a player is able to buy a card before the table is filled, you just move enough cards to free up the +5 space. That's all there is to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.