9 Posts

Memoir '44: Pacific Theater» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Review from Gameblog rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pacific Theater is the latest expansion for Memoir '44. Like Eastern Front, it adds new figures, new rules and new scenarios to the basic game.

This time the fighting is between the Japanese and the US Marine Corps. Japanese forces never surrender (that is, always ignore the first retreat flag), attack with an extra die in Close Assault if full-strength and can run from two hexes away to perform a Close Assault. They're tough. Marines, in the other hand, always activate one more unit. They also have flame-thrower tanks and all sorts of other goodies.

The scenarios are an interesting bunch. Some use the new night-attack rules, where the scenario begins in full darkness (visibility and range one hex) and the day dawns slowly, based on die rolls.

Overall, I'd say Pacific Theater is another must-buy expansion for Memoir '44 fans. There are few downsides; I guess they could include more than eight scenarios. However, there's lots of stuff, and while the box is still quite flimsy, the new stuff is on the usual quality level (and the figures are probably the best so far).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No... well, maybe they were little different, but nothing I'd call weird. It didn't stand out that clearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't really tell, I've just played two of them (Meat Grinder and Guam Japanese Counterattack), both of which were good, interesting scenarios, which could've ended both ways.

In general, I don't mind the balance much, as long as both sides have a chance to win. I have enough fun losing that I've stopped worrying about the scenario balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webster
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The regular discussion about balance in Memoir '44 puzzles me. Given the short game length it is easy to play the game twice in a row and this saves setup time too. In fact playing 2 games back-to-back and taking a aggregate score is recommened in the rules:

9 - Now choose each player’s side and sit in front of the board accordingly. Given the relatively short duration of a typical battle scenario, we recommend match play, with each player taking first one side, then the other in an immediate re-match. This helps balance any historical advantage that one side may have in a particular scenario. The winner of the match is the player who scores the most Victory Medals after both battles.

Whether on not one side is likely to loose is not important and in some battles this is quite obvious e.g. Wake Island. This game is really a measure of how well you perform as compared to your opponent given the circumstances and forces at your disposal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I never bother with double battles; why play the same one twice when you can play two different scenarios, which is twice as interesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webster
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
Oh, I never bother with double battles; why play the same one twice when you can play two different scenarios, which is twice as interesting?

Because you get a completely different perspective on the battle. Take Wake Island for example. As the Japanese player you are trying to take the various objectives as quickly as possible with the minimum of casualties. On the other hand as the US Marines player you need to make you opponent pay for their victory. Add the new rules which make playing the two sides quite different and it's very interesting indeed.

Many scenarios follow this pattern with one side needing to defend while the other must take the initiative. Also in the base game and each of the expansions it is not necessarily the same side that is defending or attacking. Futhermore sometimes one side gets fewer cards than the other which is a separate challenge of its own!

I will admit to not having played a single senario more than twice though :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want the Air rules! angry They say they are coming with the carrying case (I have my own carrying case, it's called a larger box!) but it seems to have been delayed. I just want to use the Aircraft Carriers in the scenerios...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.