Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arnaud URBON
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I am one of the author of this game.

I propose you a “gamer” variant to limit the chance of the draw that some player hait. However I think that no hand of cards is really bad but that some needs more reflexion than others.

Here is the variant:
At the beginning of his turn a player can discard one card and spend 2 ECUs “to change” the color of one of the 3 cards which it preserves in hand.

The players can also choose to pay only one ECU the cards swapping.

Caution if you can change your cards to easily you travel less in time.
Keep in mind that the goal is to do the best with cards you have. That is the reason why we don't place this variant directly in rules.

Arnaud URBON
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way to reduce luck a bit is to have a couple of face up cards to draw from. This would allow you to plan your turn potentially based on what card(s) you might be picking up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois Bedard
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
How about drawing 5 cards, and playing 4.

And you can keep 1 card at the end of your turn,
before refilling your hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Robson
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
Available from www.spielmaterial.de
badge
Got a light, mate?
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Another way to reduce luck a bit is to have a couple of face up cards to draw from. This would allow you to plan your turn potentially based on what card(s) you might be picking up.

FlowerGame wrote:
How about drawing 5 cards, and playing 4.

And you can keep 1 card at the end of your turn,
before refilling your hands.

We thought of both of these variants after our first (5 player) playing. Both are preferable to the luck of the draw, particularly towards the end of the game. They could even be options in rounds 5-7 only. If anyone tries them I'd be interested to know how the game plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud URBON
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
there are only 3 kinds of card (military, religious and civil).
With 4 cards in hand you have automatically one double and may be 2. With 5 cards you have automatically 2 doubles or one brelan.

So this will be the end of the small building and that might broken the balance of the game.

Use that only at the 4th and 7th turn may be a solution...you can test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Blake
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
So you can pay 2 ECU to play a card as a wildcard, and discard and draw only costs 1 ECU?

I'm just curious: From a game design perspective, what was the motivation for the rule that players -must- discard their remaining hand at the end of their turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud URBON
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thedalek wrote:
So you can pay 2 ECU to play a card as a wildcard, and discard and draw only costs 1 ECU?

yes. If you spend 2 ecus to play a wildcard you can only play 3 cards in your turn.

Thedalek wrote:
I'm just curious: From a game design perspective, what was the motivation for the rule that players -must- discard their remaining hand at the end of their turn?

the reason is only to "force" player to play because if all players keep cards and don't play there is no more game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.