Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: stats [+] collection [+] [View All]
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a feature that shows who owns the most games on BGG? In other words, is it possible to rank users by who owns the most games in his BGG profile without looking at each individual profile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
When I read this question the first name that popped into my head was- Tom Vasel. That guy plays more games than you can shake a stick at! According to his profile he has 1039 games to be exact. Anybody above that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I know that Urhixidur owns 1312 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
mkgray should be able to create a top 10. He has access to this data and loves statistics, so let's stalk him until he starts spewing out (even more) numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Ahhh, but the data will only be as good as the gamers- unethical geeks could pad their collection stats. Maybe people should have to send in a proof of purchase for each game in order to have their collection certified and made top 10 eligible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meh. You can quote me on that.
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Even better:

Everybody send your games to me, I'll count 'em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe
United States
gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this has come up before. mkgray did indeed come up with some numbers. not sure how they have changed:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/620484#620484

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that people with really big collections will never list them on BGG (takes too long, not interested in getting trade requests, etc.).

I know at least 6 people with collections over 5,000 games who don't list near that many here, and one of them is over 10,000.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reference. So there is no way to do it ourself...
I would be curious to see the changes after a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
I know at least 6 people with collections over 5,000 games who don't list near that many here, and one of them is over 10,000.

You have good friends. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Romain wrote:
BeyondMonopoly wrote:

You have good friends. cool

Yes. The collector with 10,000 lives within an hour of me too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Tersago
Belgium
Sint Truiden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He has been interviewed on one of the episodes of Boardgamespeak (Which at that point went by another better known name )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
mkgray should be able to create a top 10. He has access to this data and loves statistics, so let's stalk him until he starts spewing out (even more) numbers.

No stalking required.

The list has not changed much since my post a year ago. There's been some minor shuffling in the top 10, and they've all acquired more games, but 9/10 are still in the top 10. jayiv, the former #10, dropped to #11, and BigWoo, formerly not in the top 10 is now #7.

The current top 20:

| JediDragon | 2922 |
| Alan How | 2716 |
| RaffertyA | 2208 |
| hauwech | 2064 |
| DHolte | 1963 |
| splat0169 | 1943 |
| BigWoo | 1794 |
| njsauer | 1665 |
| Bryan Arroyo | 1599 |
| mregamr | 1539 |
| jayiv | 1448 |
| Barry Kendall | 1398 |
| qzhdad | 1367 |
| nysmoke | 1323 |
| Walt Mulder | 1317 |
| Urhixidur | 1312 |
| Bernd | 1312 |
| alfonzos | 1298 |
| djflippy | 1287 |
| Attila | 1277 |

There are now 23,321 people who list at least 1 game as owned for a total of 1.22 million games owned. Both of these numbers have climbed about 50% in the past year. Amazingly, the average number of games has stayed the same, at 52 and the median has stayed the same, at 16.

If you own at
least this many You are in the top:
games:

1271 0.1%
727 0.5%
519 1%
222 5%
133 10%
54 25%
16 50%

Of course, this is only of the collections listed on the geek. Impressive how little these numbers have moved in the past year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
How on earth do you store 10,000 games? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
mkgray wrote:
No stalking required.

I would have been amazed if it was, but...
What took you so long?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david karasick
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own 727 and almost all have been bought in the last 5 years. I got the "bug" and took off! I have played all atleast once and most many times with my 2 sons. Storage is the main problem. I am amazed at how many games I have bought thinking that 200 was a lot! Except for a few duds, I have enjoyed almost all as can be attested to my ratings for all of them here on the BGG. I need an antidote to my addiction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Matthew, very informative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
mkgray wrote:

There are now 23,321 people who list at least 1 game as owned for a total of 1.22 million games owned. Both of these numbers have climbed about 50% in the past year. Amazingly, the average number of games has stayed the same, at 52 and the median has stayed the same, at 16.

If you own at
least this many You are in the top:
games:

1271 0.1%
727 0.5%
519 1%
222 5%
133 10%
54 25%
16 50%

Damn I hate being part of the crowd. 5% seems to crowded. Need to go buy a couple hundred more games. Thanks for the proof for the wife that I NEED more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Need to boost your collection total? Chances are you already own most of these but haven't added them to your profile:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/8124

If you don't have them yet, it will be the cheapest 80+ games you ever added to your collection!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
prizziap wrote:
Need to boost your collection total? Chances are you already own most of these but haven't added them to your profile:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/8124

If you don't have them yet, it will be the cheapest 80+ games you ever added to your collection!

Some how, adding games that use a standerd deck doesn't seem right. Besides, then I couldn't tell my wife I NEED to spend money on meeples. I've trained her to look at the shinny bits to guess if I'm going to buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric M. Aldrich I
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, let me say as a game collector I always find this subject of discussion interesting. But it has its limitations.

I suspect the "top 10" or whatever list isn't even a true reflection of who owns the most for two reasons.

1. Many of us are lazy and/or paranoid. We don't want to enter all the games we own onto a public list.

2. Not all types of analog games are covered. RPGs, for instance should certainly be covered if we're going to do a count.

Also, what counts as a game? Does an expansion count for purposes of this count? Either way, the database integrity comes into question as there are some expansions that are lumped together with their base game and some are not. What about multiple copies? What about different editions?

What about CCGs? How the heck do you handle those?

Anyway, just food for thought. I've always wanted to do a game collectors' database -- just haven't had the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Mike on not padding the collection with the multitude of games playable with a standard card deck or two. I'll list "Coup d'Etat" because it comes in a box with extra materials, and "Mille Bornes" because it has a card with a fire truck on it ("Coup fourre!") but not Bridge, Whist, Poker, Hearts, etc.

The point about Expansions and multiple copies is also worth discussing. Initially I didn't list ownerships of Expansions because they only elaborate on the base game, but one day I decided I'd better if for no other reason than maintaining a record for insurance purposes.

I have four copies of "Battle Cry" (one at the office, one spare, two for "Big Battle Cry") but to me that's only one game. One might make the argument that two copies of "Memoir '44" could be counted--one for "Memoir" and one for "Memoir '44 Overlord." There are specific rules and scenarios for multiplayer Overlord games.

On the other hand, the whole thing could become ridiculous. Shall I count two copies of "Arab-Israeli Wars" as two games just because I want to be able to play bigger battles? I don't think so. I have two copies of "La Petit Armee," but that's because it plays better with a bigger board, more terrain and larger armies. Still one game.

The "collection" list is limited because of the database. I have a number of games not listed in the base, but since the most recent reformatting I can't figure out how to list a new game so for now, they remain both unknown and uncounted. I'm sure many BGGers have given unknown games a good home in this way.

I do appreciate the collection rankings, though, if for no other reason than to be able to say to my wife, "See, there are people with LOTS more games than I have." Please don't show her the percentage breakdowns, though, or my argument is toast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ealdrich wrote:
1. Many of us are lazy and/or paranoid. We don't want to enter all the games we own onto a public list.

Agreed. If my collection was much bigger, I probably wouldn't have entered it. I did so mostly as a convenient database to track my collection (comes in handy in avoiding buying the same game twice), and figuring that there's really nothing in it that stands out as "I might get robbed for these" targets. I refuse to believe I'm in the top 1% (unhealthy denial of my obsession?), as I figure its a given that if you're a BGG regular you've more likely than not pushing a 3+ digit collection. More likely there are *lots* of people who just don't list everything.

My viewpoint is, if your collection isn't 4+ digits, it isn't truly noteworthy. Don't bother even looking up Guinness's number unless its 5 digits. And I have little intention of even going as far as 4 digits - at least not for several more years.

ealdrich wrote:
2. Not all types of analog games are covered. RPGs, for instance should certainly be covered if we're going to do a count.

Also, what counts as a game? Does an expansion count for purposes of this count?

Expansions count if they get entered in the BGG database. Same as RPGs. Arbitrary criteria, to be sure (my collection "increased" when I noticed all the SFB expansions had been entered). I figure this is "balanced" by different editions / multiple copies aren't counted (the first I can see justification for, I wouldn't normally count the second), as lots of us fall into that "got more than one of this" category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.