Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is sort of a survey: please post your experiences.

A) How often in your games do the Axis go after Malta?

B) How frequently do they succeed?

C) What forces do they generally use? Just Italians? Just Germans? Or a mix?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a) 20% or so.

b) 90% of attempts succeed.

c) always a mix of German and Italian forces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Hagemann
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a) 100%

b) about 90%

c) like above, always a mix of italian and german forces.

Rick, your 20% at a) sounds intresting since it deviates from my experiences. Why should'nt the germans occupy malta? The main advantage in my opinion is, that the allies are pressurized since they need more fleets to support their troops in africa. Failing to invade malta should make it much more difficult for the germans in africa.

Greetings,
Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Powers
United States
Triangle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not Rick, but he and I have played a few times, and I have played many games of EE against others. In vitrually all of them I play the Allies or Russia.

Personally, I like for the Axis to go for Malta. Any chance I can get to sink Italian fleets is worth it to me. The loss of an Italian fleet hurts them far more than the Allies losing Malta (IMO).

I also often defend Greece by leaving Athens open (assuming I know the Axis airborne units are not nearby). I do this to temp the Italians to do a seaborne invasion of the empty Athens for a quick victory. Again, any chance to kill fleets...

Also, taking Malta does not hurt the Allied supply situation (assuming the Axis still control Sicily), it only improves the Axis supply situation.

Hope you find this helpful. Enjoy a great game!

Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill sums it up nicely, on top of that, too many times I've taken Malta, only to have the Brits turn around and take Sardinia, removing the just obtained advantage.

In the 2nd edition, this will no longer be a problem, as Sardinia was removed from the supply equation in the new rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your input! And Rick, thanks for removing Sardinia from the Med supply rules. Do you find that there's a greater number of Malta attacks now?

Thank you Rick and Jesse for many hours of good gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect Malta invasions in my games to increase a bit, but not much in my games.

It still usually puts the Italian navy at too much risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richert
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick Young wrote:
I expect Malta invasions in my games to increase a bit, but not much in my games.

It still usually puts the Italian navy at too much risk.

That is exactly what happened to me. We tried the first run at Malta and was repulsed due to bad rolls and not bringing in the Germans, screwed up a strat move the previous turn.

The next turn we brought in the Germans and they did the job, but I lost two fleets on the return trip. I did take down a Brit fleet, but they had enough to spare. The result was that I was in worse shape after I took Malta than I was before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
If your going to take Malta, don't bring them back again. Risking the Italian Navy twice is crazy (unless you are at an advantage after the first time perhaps).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trouble is, to have any chance at Malta, you're probably going to overstack by bringing two infantry blocks and an airborne, so you're forced to send them back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Or leave them to die...

Sometimes you have to be cruel to your own side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Me and my friend tend to get Malta stormed every game.
We use GSU support on naval combat (virtually Germans and Italy can add a max of 8 "fleets" to the fight), with no chance to intercept on open sea if starting port and destination (in this case Sicily-Malta route) have a traced or virtual air route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Shaw
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand what you mean by this and cannot find it in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Suic
Croatia
flag msg tools
Those are optional rules where you can use GSupports to take place in naval battles next to harbours)not on open sea) and GSs shoot as if theyre fleets and also you can take casulties from _GS instead fleets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.