Popular Tags: [View All]
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
1. Is Mentieth a "coastal area"? We assumed yes, due to that huge "sea arm" or "river" that runs into it? But we're not familiar with Scotland.

2. If so, can the English player move 2 units there from England using the "Sea Move" event card?

3. And just out of curiosity: Why is the Schiltrom rule not the other way around? [As it is now Scottish infantry get +1 fire when there's no English Archers in the battle] I mean, there's only 2 archers in the English troop mix. Compared to the huge amount of 8 Scottish infantry I would think it's more logical to give the Scot infantry a higher combat value and deduct one point on those rare occasions when there's an archer involved. So I guess I'm missing something. Or is this just an optional rule? Which might explain why it's in the sidebar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokke wrote:
1. Is Mentieth a "coastal area"? We assumed yes, due to that huge "sea arm" or "river" that runs into it? But we're not familiar with Scotland.

Yes it is. It touches the sea.
Quote:

2. If so, can the English player move 2 units there from England using the "Sea Move" event card?

Yes, if Mentieth is controlled by the English, as per the card. ("friendly")

Quote:

3. And just out of curiosity: Why is the Schiltrom rule not the other way around? [As it is now Scottish infantry get +1 fire when there's no English Archers in the battle] I mean, there's only 2 archers in the English troop mix. Compared to the huge amount of 8 Scottish infantry I would think it's more logical to give the Scot infantry a higher combat value and deduct one point on those rare occasions when there's an archer involved. So I guess I'm missing something. Or is this just an optional rule? Which might explain why it's in the sidebar?

The schiltrom rule is optional. Please note the following on the first page of the rules (in the margin):

Quote:
Rulebook Organization This rulebook is formatted so that the sidebar (this column) contains definitions, examples, suggestions, optional rules, clarifications, and historical commentary to help you understand and enjoy this game.

Enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Please note the following on the first page of the rules (in the margin):

Yeah, but it's hard to tell whether it's a definition, suggestion, optional rule, clarification, etc.

(In the version 2.0 rules, it was clearly indicated as an optional rule; in the 2.3 rules, it's not, and I've played with at least one person who didn't believe me when I said it was supposed to be optional!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Aha! Thanks!
Do most of you prefer to use this optional rule?

Oh and another thing that kinda puzzles me: If the English King winters in Scotland, the English units MAY winter with him, regardless of castle limitations. But does that mean they are MOVED (like nobles do when they return to their home region) from all around Scotland to the King's location (which seems logical) or does that mean that only those who are already in the King's location can winter with him and thus there's no moving of units allowed. (Which also makes sense).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pokke wrote:

"Depends... am I playing the English, or the Scots?"

I think I've only used this once (I was the English). Generally I don't care for rules which make the printed numbers wrong under some circumstances which are easy to forget, but on the other hand, it was kind of interesting having to worry about moving archers up (because normally, archers, what do I care?) (And it may have been interesting from the Scots side too, I don't know.)

Pokke wrote:
or does that mean that only those who are already in the King's location can winter with him

Yeah, this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokke wrote:
Aha! Thanks!

If you are not so familiar with the game, it is a good way to equalize sides in the Braveheart scenario. At least it worked for me and my friends. After getting to know the game (in particular the map) better, we abandoned it again as it seemed too much of an advantage.

Quote:
Oh and another thing that kinda puzzles me: If the English King winters in Scotland, the English units MAY winter with him, regardless of castle limitations. But does that mean they are MOVED...

No, the only troops that can stay with Edward I are those which are already in the same area at the beginning of winter.

Note also that any levy troops leftover in England when Edward winters are removed from the board, leaving England vulnerable to Scottish raids. This is not explicitly stated in the 2.3 rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks again!

Quote:
Note also that any levy troops leftover in England when Edward winters are removed from the board, leaving England vulnerable to Scottish raids. This is not explicitly stated in the 2.3 rules.

I've read about this in another topic. We did not do it when we first played. Rules version 2.3 indeed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.