Eli Smith
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was just postulating on another forum, thought I'd mirror that post here:

Well I got my boxes this morning. (three boosters and one starter). This seems like it would be a good game to Just buy a couple starters and play.

However I noticed a small flaw, the starters come with a 30 card pre-constructed class-deck and two booster packs. These are the standard booster packs you can buy seperatley. The rules state a deck minimum of 60 cards + Your hero card, however it's not permitted to have cards that don't match your hero (different faction/class/whatever) in your deck, in addition one of each of the 15 cards in each booster pack is another "Hero" card, so you're left with 28 playable cards only about 25% of which can be used in the deck provided.

Therefore it is impossible to play with the starter alone in full accordance with the rules. OF course you could always not play with full decks... something I've been accused of on more than one occassion.

playin' solitare till dawn with a deck of fifty-one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Roeber
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The starters are meant for playing sealed deck games, which have a minimum deck size of 30 cards. Draft also has a minimum deck size of 30 cards. Only the constructed deck formats require 60 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Smith
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whiel the rules mention "learning games" with 30 cards they did not mention that "Constructed only" guess I should have checked out the detailed tournament rules online.

Not an issue for me as I got 4 boxes of cards, just a heads-up for folks who just wanted to buy ac ouple starters and play (which seems like very much an option with this game, it's great fun).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Norcott
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
starters aren't meant for sealed deck, it states in the rules 6 packs is sealed deck format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not so much a problem as a design choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not having played yet, the problem I find is that the starters are not labled as to what class they are. Theoretically you can go in with a friend, buy two starters to play with, and end up with the same character. My brother pointed out another potential flaw. He got the Paladin character and with his boosters he STILL only had 1 weapon. This means he can't even ATTACK unless he draws 1 out of 30 (or 1 out of 60 in constructed). And with allies that can steal/disarm a weapon, his main character could be stuck unable to attack. To me this seems to be a MAJOR flaw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
A flaw, unless the point is to encourage players to buy more boosters.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no flaw involved. A Paladin. They don't really attack anyway, (or at least not so anyone would notice...)

Windopaene - Eonar - lvl 32 Paladin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conrad Hex
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Beholm wrote:
My brother pointed out another potential flaw. He got the Paladin character and with his boosters he STILL only had 1 weapon. This means he can't even ATTACK unless he draws 1 out of 30 (or 1 out of 60 in constructed). And with allies that can steal/disarm a weapon, his main character could be stuck unable to attack. To me this seems to be a MAJOR flaw.

Having actually played, I can say that the game is very fun even without weapons coming into play at all. I had two weapons in my Horde Shaman 30-card starter deck, and never drew either one, and still managed to win.

It's a little bit weird that heroes aren't attacking using weapons, but it makes abilities and allies much more important. If the hero did have a weapon from the start to defend himself, the game might take all day because allies wouldn't be able to attack without getting killed by the hero's defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Kaski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also played several games over the last few weeks. At first, I was quite surprised that the Hero does not have the immediate ability to attack. It is absolutely correct that the Hero needs a weapon in order to do so. While this may seem a flaw, I can attest that the game really is well balanced. The hero's need for a weapon in no way breaks the game.

Allies play an essential role in offense and defense. Add ability cards to the mix, and you have plenty of ways to attack and defend. In fact, there have been several recent occasions wherein the ally and ability cards have dealt far more damage than my hero's weapon could do.

Short example:
Last night I was using my hero, equipped with a bow. The normal damage that he could do was 2 points. At the high point of the game, my opponent destroyed my bow. However, by that time I had four allies that could do a total of 13 damage in one round. After destroying my opponent's 3 point shield, I hit him for 10 points of damage. I followed that up with an Instant Ability card for two more points of damage. This left him with 2 hit points. My allies finished him in the next round, as my hero was still weaponless.

Good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.