Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought BattleCon: War a while back after pledging for the Revised Kickstarter so I could play it and learn some mechanics before my pledge comes in soon. I've played some games with a coworker and some on my iPad but I've had one question that has bothered me this whole time (and over the last four or so months that I have owned the game I have kept forgetting to ask):

What are the trance counters that are related to Magdelina?

The first time I sat down with my coworker and explained the rules and some of the characters, I laid out all of them grouped by difficulty and told him to pick one that looked interesting. He choose Magdelina, I choose someone randomly (can't remember who), and I gave him some time to study her cards so he could get an idea of how she worked. After some time he finally asked me "Where are the trance counters? I see that you have her level tokens here in the bag with her cards but some of her moves mention 'trance counters' and I don't see any."
I asked to take a look at what he had, saw that there were no trance tokens grouped together with her cards and level tokens, and then started digging through the bag of generic tokens. After not finding any that were easily identifiable as 'trance counters,' I read the rulebook cover-to-cover to look for mention of them. After that I came here and searched the forums for the word 'trance' but found only threads referring to the cards that use them or referring to the rules surrounding the character (just searched the forums again to look for info and to make sure this question hasn't been asked before and turned up the same kind of stuff). By this point we had spent a substantial amount of time going over the rules, choosing characters, and trying to find the trance counters, so my coworker ending up saying "forget it" and went with Kallistar.

Like I said, I've forgotten several times to ask but I remembered recently when I was on the game's page and saw this image: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1299828/battlecon-war-indines...
I brought my copy of the game in and enlarged the image and then compared every counter and token with what is displayed in the picture. I'm not missing anything. Currently all tokens that are mentioned on a character's cards and are easily identifiable that they belongs with that character are grouped with that character, leaving a few remaining tokens behind to be bagged together (the life tokens, the 5 that have the gems are whatever displayed on them, etc).

So can someone give me a hand here and point out what I am missing, please? I'm going to be on the same shift as that same coworker for the first time in a good while and want to reintroduce the game to him but I am a bit worried that he will choose Magedelina again, beginning the search for the trance counters once more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Wicarius
United States
Lakeside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I remember in the original War of Indines a lot of the counters were double sided. That might be the answer here? I dunno someone with a copy of the game themselves should be able to confirm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

The revised version of War is not released yet. Some quick questions.

1) Is this a print and play version of War?
2) If not a print and play, is it a version you got with the Devastation Kickstarter?
3) If none of the above, where did you get it?

If you could respond we can help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Parsa
Germany
flag msg tools
It's better
badge
if you can do without
mbmbmb
Magdelina released in the first edition of War of Indines did not use Trance Counters (only double sided round level counters with levels from 0 to 5).
With the release of Devastation of Indines Extended Edition a couple of rebalances for War of Indines characters were released. Madgelina was one of the characters that saw themost changes at that point and included new cards and counters. At this point these new Trance Counters along with new Level Counters were introduced (they are now the size and shape of Devastation's huge pentagonal counters). The picture on the Trance Counters features a ball on a chain buring incense.
So if you got a newer version of Magdelina's cards with Devastation Extended, search your Devastation copy for them.

Note that some of her cards were changed again for War Remastered (but they still use the Trance mechanic). These changes are in the current PnP and are currently being commited to print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaron, it's a retail copy of BattleCon: War that I purchased on BGG.
The seller included the errata and changes from Devastation Extended as well as the original cards. So if the trance counters were in Devastation Extended, then I don't have them.
Which isn't a huge deal, I can either find something to use as substitute counters (those five gem tokens or whatever?) or use the old cards for her and just play her character how she played prior to being re-balanced. I have purchased Devastation and Dev Extended but with my War:Revised KS pledge, so I still have to wait to get those. But then again, I'll have a Revised version of Magdelina at that point, so no real point I guess.

Mystery solved; thanks for the assistance, guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.