Popular Tags: [View All]
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I uploaded a whole bunch of images yesterday and some have been rejected. I'm not sure I understand the reasons for some of them being declined.

Some of them show various details of the board in close up and the comment explained what it was showing, but I guess I needed to put something in to the 'GeekMod note' field as well just to make it as obvious as possible that the images weren't similar.

However, these two were rejected for being badly rotated.

They look ok to me, what am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badgeroonie wrote:
However, these two were rejected for being badly rotated.

Did you really upload them in that tiny size?

Images taken with cellphones are often rotated. They look ok when viewing with the cellphone or some image editing software, but wrong when viewed with other programs that don't recognize that rotation flag (for example, in the BGG image display, and the upload process).

If the original images were larger and rotated, and you shrinked them with an image editing software, the shrinked copy migth be rotated correctly, even if the original image was not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the size they were in the rejection GeekMail. The photos weret aken with a mobile phone, then uploaded to my laptop where I made sure they were correctly rotated. I then uploaded them to BGG from there. I uploaded a total of about 30 images and these were the only two rejected for being badly rotated. They were correctly rotated in the rejection GeekMail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
If the image contains a rotation tag, you might see it the right way around, but it may not be seen the right way up in the geekmod window nor with other browsers.

This is a known thing. To make sure, you should load and save the images using an image editor. I usually scale the pictures to a sensible size anyway, so it is not an extra step for me.

In my opinion uploading 12Mpix pictures to BGG is unnecessary and waste of bandwidth, especially when there is a lot of grainyness and noise in the images taken in low lighting etc., and it would thus be prudent to crop and scale them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I uploaded a few images and some were rejected for what I feel were stupid opinions. I won't waste my time uploading any more. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
you should load and save the images using an image editor

I'll try that next time, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic2415517.jpg

That is how the image shows up in the larger sizes (from my geekmod queue). So yes, removing the rotation tag from your photo should solve this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsword wrote:
I uploaded a few images and some were rejected for what I feel were stupid opinions. I won't waste my time uploading any more. shake
Don't worry, there are dozens of users uploading bad pictures in your place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwen wrote:
https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic2415517.jpg

That is how the image shows up in the larger sizes (from my geekmod queue). So yes, removing the rotation tag from your photo should solve this.

When I click on the link, the image is correctly rotated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what it looks like at my end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange McWeird. I'll edit it and resubmit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way to stip out the code is to open it in a 'dumb' program like paint or preview and rotate it and re-save it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsword wrote:

If they aren't high enough quality for Geekmod (and the standards aren't high!) just upload them to your personal BGG gallery.

It won't matter how similar they are to existing pictures and you can include as much badglare as you like.

No one will be judging them and you can still use them in your posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my advice. Upload images to your personal profile, not the bgg database. I figured that out after several pics got rejected and just gave up submitting. You can upload whatever you like to your profile, but the pics that go on the game pages are heavily moderated and rejected unless deemed technically perfect, whatever that means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My favorite "sideways or upside down" rejection was this one:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsword wrote:

Same here. I had some cool pimped out components for a game, rejected for "bad glare" (it really wasn't that bad and the point of the photos was the components, which were clearly visible).

Yeah, I decided to then upload it to my personal gallery after it got rejected, but, what that means now is that other fans of the game will never happen upon it in the game gallery, to appreciate it and/or pimp out their game in the same way.

So I don't think I'll bother with photos here anymore. Boardgaming is my hobby, not photography - but somehow BGG Photo Galleries have morphed into PhotoGeek.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a light (unintended) side note (not rejection worthy): you seem to be standing in your light. Board and card shots are always difficult do to varying gloss/glare but I know this one well as I'm always cursing my own shadow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Somehow BGG Photo Galleries have morphed into PhotoGeek.com.

Indeed - I've uploaded a lot of photos to BGG over the years, but I've had some truly odd rejections.

I find it irritating how the front page images have become dominated by Kickstarter component previews, i.e. marketing copy, as opposed to photos of games actually being played by BGG members.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bygberbrown wrote:
but the pics that go on the game pages are heavily moderated and rejected unless deemed technically perfect, whatever that means.

The massive number of really bad images on the game pages seems to disagree with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
bygberbrown wrote:
but the pics that go on the game pages are heavily moderated and rejected unless deemed technically perfect, whatever that means.

The massive number of really bad images on the game pages seems to disagree with this.

Those "bad images" might predate the current moderation? It's definitely changed in the years since I joined in 2007. It used to be all about sharing your game-related photos with fellow gamers. Now it seems like you can't get a photo uploaded unless you're into photography as well as games, and do all kinds of pre-set-up and post-processing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Those "bad images" might predate the current moderation?

They might. If you spent some of your free time geek-moderating the images, you would have an actual idea which way it is.

I did a few stretches lately (to clear up the queue to speed up the moderation of the images I had submitted) and remembered why I like moderating videos better. After seeing almost the same image half a dozen times from the same user, having similar pictures in troves in the gallery already, the standards start to rise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Those "bad images" might predate the current moderation?

They might. If you spent some of your free time geek-moderating the images, you would have an actual idea which way it is.

I did a few stretches lately (to clear up the queue to speed up the moderation of the images I had submitted) and remembered why I like moderating videos better. After seeing almost the same image half a dozen times from the same user, having similar pictures in troves in the gallery already, the standards start to rise.

This.

I stopped geekmodding for the most part when it just became too frustrating, watching people resubmit their rejected photos until they got approved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United States
Huron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've modded a lot over the past few months and I've been amazed by the inconsistencies. Sometimes pics that are clearly identified as prototypes (which by the rules should be "creative" gallery) will be approved under game, with the very next photo being rejected. Despite careful reading and rereading of the rules I end up voting "approve" on about half of the pics that are eventually rejected, and even in retrospect I have no idea why one got thumbs down instead of up.

Its not helped by the fact that mods don't get to see the "reason" report that is included with the pic rejection so I can't even do my own quality assurance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Same here. I had some cool pimped out components for a game, rejected for "bad glare" (it really wasn't that bad and the point of the photos was the components, which were clearly visible).

Yeah, I decided to then upload it to my personal gallery after it got rejected, but, what that means now is that other fans of the game will never happen upon it in the game gallery, to appreciate it and/or pimp out their game in the same way.

So use your gallery photos and post a thread in the game forums. They can happen upon it there, too. That's what I generally do when posting game images (though more because I am too impatient to wait for moderation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

So use your gallery photos and post a thread in the game forums. They can happen upon it there, too. That's what I generally do when posting game images (though more because I am too impatient to wait for moderation).

That's a nice idea.
The thing though is that images are "consumed" differently than "General" threads. I think most people only see "new" General-topic threads, it's rare that people will go browse a game's really old General-topic threads (I do on occasion but relatively rarely and I think even I'm an exception, most people just let them die).
But images are constantly being browsed and sorted by thumbs, filtered for/against customization, etc, even the older images.

So, not an entirely satisfactory solution to sharing a unique game image in the current overly-moderated photo environment.

But, nontheless, I may take you up on your idea and make a post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.