Csaba Szabo
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody!

I played yesterday DungeonQuest and Mice and Mystics... And then I had an idea how to make DungeonQuest combat system more interesting.

(Good to have more dice with you different color for the monsters and different color for your hero)

SE

-When you encounter a monster take for him so many combat dice as his Escape Penalty. For those 2 monster that have 0 penalty you will take 2 combat dice. Their health is the same as on the card.

-Your hero at the beginning will begin with 2 combat dice.

-The monster ambushed, so he begin first: roll for attack all his combat dice. 1 2 3 count as hit points. Not the number of dots on the dice is the hit point, but how many dice became 1,2 or 3. So 3 3 2 is: 3 hit point. 4 5 not count now, 6 I write down later.

-Then your hero defend against. Roll 2 dice. (To defend we always roll 2 dice! For the monsters and heroes as well.) If you roll 4 5 then you succesfully defended with one die against one monster combat die. So if the monster rolled: 3 3 2 (3 hit point) and you rolled against 5 5 then you blocked 2 dice from him so you suffer one wound.

-Any time you roll 6 you will have one determination token (DT). You can use one to re-roll one dice. If you collected 5 piece you can level up: discard all of them and now you can have ONE EXTRA DICE for attack. Your hero begin to be experienced.
Any time the monster roll 6, then he stole one DT from you, discard it.

-Now is your turn to attack back: roll your (first time) 2 combat dice, any 1 2 3 is a hit, 6 is DT. The monster defend, 4 5 successfully defended your hit, 6 steal a DT. Continue until you or the monster is dead... If you wish to escape, then make it as normal, the escape penalty is also normal in this case on the cards.

NE

For this rules I was thinking to change the heroes cards also:

Hugo: You can roll 3 dice for to defend. (His big shield) (The +1 rune card rule stays)

Krutzbeck: same

Challara: (dungeon card rule stays) If you have 8 or more wounds your combat dices never deal more than 1 wound to the monster per attack.
(alternative: If you have 8 or more wounds then any 4 dice count as hit point when you attack. Special magic attack...)

Gherinn: same

Lindel: Each time you gain 1 or more determination tokens, gain 1 additional DT, except in combat.

Tatianna: (search rule stays) Any time you defend against a monster your 3 count as defend as well. (Maybe then this character will be more interesting)

X

One example of play:

Krutzbeck encounter a golem of EP: 3 H: 5.

Golem rolls: 3 3 2 =3 hit points (HP)
Krutzbeck defend: 1 5 =1 defend point (DP)
K. loose 1 life point (LP)

K: 3 1 =2 HP
G: 2 4 =1 DP
G: -2 LP (Krutzbeck specialty to give +1 wound)

G: 2 4 3 =2 HP
K: 6 3 = +1 DT
K: -2 LP

K: 1 2 =2 HP
G: 2 6 = The golem stole the one DT that Krutzbeck collected before.
G: -3 LP and dead...

X

I play-tested so far with Krutzbeck which for me was satisfying. But this variant can be more interesting with more/changed ideas...
I think it is very simple, but one combat takes more time. This can be unpleasant for some people, but because I play most solo, I have time, for me more challenging, and I think it is very well fitting for the game atmosphere: push your luck and you can die any time.
Please write here what is your opinion, if you play-tested as well or have some idea to make this system better...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eldar Closer
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a good solo game, when there is no one to roll for monsters, it is much better to have the combat outcome from a single die or dice roll.
For solo games combat is about what it should be, just adding a custom die would make it more intuitive and 'thematic'. (As with LEGO games).
I would consider changing your method to eliminate at least the monster defensive rolls.
For multiplayer the official method involves some choice, though not very meaninfull. If to change anything, I would keep decision making as it is or raise it's level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loyd Kneph
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mb
Excellent. I haven't even received the game and already knew that I wanted a different combat system. In a press-your-luck, randomized game, I like throwing dice.

I will definitely give it try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drea Paulsen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(an abbreviated form of whats above for you guys)

Combat Variant

Monster Combat dice = Escape Penalty
If EP = 0 then they get 2 Combat Dice
Players start with 2 Combat Dice
Both players and Monsters have 2 Defense Dice
Monster attacks first

On an attack roll, Roll all Combat Dice
1, 2, 3 = Hit
4, 5 = Miss
6 = Determination Token (DT)
If rolled by Player, gain 1 DT
If rolled by Monster, lose 1 DT

After Attack Roll opposing player rolls Defense Dice
1, 2, 3 = Failed to Doge 1 Hit
4, 5 = Doge 1 Hit
6 = Determination Token (DT)
If rolled by Player, gain 1 DT
If rolled by Monster, lose 1 DT

Continue until you or the monster is dead
If you wish to escape, Escape as normal

Player Extra Powers
Use 1 DT to Re-Roll 1 Dice (attack or Defense)
Use 5 DT to add 1 Attack Dice this combat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that's much easier to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Csaba Szabo
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the abbreviated form IronPython. The idea was there, just I wrote complicated...

I am happy that seems some people like this variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So is a 6 on a defense roll a "fail to dodge" + a DT or is it a successful dodge + a DT?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Csaba Szabo
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My idea was if you roll 6, then you get a DT, if the monster roll 6 takes a DT from you. At defense no dodge involved when you rolling a 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just simplify the rolls further? Have the monster and player roll at the same time and deduct hits and defenses all at once.

Eg; Player has 2 Dice. Golem has 3 dice. Just roll them all at once. Dice showing 1,2,3 are hits, 4,5 are defends. Subtract the monsters hits (if any) from the players defends (if any) and subtract the players hits (if any) from the monsters defends (if any).

So lets say the Golum rolls a 3,5,6
and the players rolls a 1,4

The Golum scores 1 hit but the Player has 1 defend so the Golum scores no hits on the player, however he does take a DT from the player. The Player also scores a hit but the Golum has a defend as well so no hits were scored by either of them. Roll again.

Instead of rolling the monsters attack and then the players defense, then rolling the players attack and then the monsters defense, just do it all at once. Faster that way.

I'm thinking the player might start with a temporary DT equal to their Luck and can spend them right away in the combat or use them slowly and risk losing them. So Lindel with 5 Luck can choose to spend them all on his first roll and gain an extra die or hold them to use to do rerolls, but if at any time the monster can take a DT from the Player but they don't have any, they suffer a hit instead. So if Lindel uses his 5 DT to get an extra dice this turn he risks suffering a hit from the monster rolling a 1,2,3 or 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Csaba Szabo
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great idea.

I would only suggest, that for sure we use different color dice for monsters and heroes. Otherwise how we would know with the Golem attack which 1,3,4,5,6 belongs to the Golem, which to the hero.

But I like it, thanks. Begin to take a shape a simple but more interesting combat system
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I tested this out, as a worst case scenario, and my results were epic battles but not very encouraging. I faced off against the toughest monster the Demon 6 EP 8 HP. Which means he rolls 6 dice. To give myself the better advantage I used Krutzbeck, Which gives him 2 Dice and 4 Determination Token, and if he deals at least 1 damage he deals +1 more damage to the monster.

Results:
A couple battles in and I realized 5 DT to get an extra dice is too hard. Either I rolled bad or something but I lost my DT quickly to the Demons rolls. Never getting 5 dice. Now I realize that the odds are against pulling that Demon right off the start is unlikely and I would probably have 5 DT and bought the extra die later in the game but this is worst case scenario.

So I decided to try allowing 1 DT to buy a die for your next roll. But even rolling 3 dice for a few rolls didn't help. So I made two custom fourth dice, one die as a defender and one as an attacker, meaning each die had double the defense or attack ability. So rolls of 1,2,3 give 2 defense or 2 attacks. When you spend your DT you choose which die you want as a fourth. This worked pretty good but because Krut only has 4 DT to start only my first 2 attacks were effective, once I was rolling 2 dice again I was doomed. Even rolling 3 dice, it was pretty hard to win. If I beat the Demon I was usually left with only 2-3 health. The next monster would wipe me out.

Using the 4 dice all the time made the battle against the Demon better but also made battles against the weaker monsters too easy, boringly easy. I did a few battles vs the demon using the games combat cards just to compare and the battles were over quicker and I always won, usually only losing a few health.

The only way this method would work well is if the treasure cards granted extra dice, a wand/armor of Defence for an extra defence die. Or a magic weapon that gives you an extra attack die, that you could add to your rolls in combat. Maybe even temporary treasure that gives you a bonus die/dice then you have to discard the treasure after combat. This requires a huge overhall of the game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.