Hide
11 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Huge doubt about possessions in general. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Big
msg tools
So we played our first game yesterday, and we won! Well...at least we think we did. I almost stayed up all night researching if we did everything correctly. Supposedly all is fine, except a particular doubt I have about possessions.

I, the lead investigator, was able to amass more than 9 different possessions, e.g spells, artifacts, items. The first question: Is there a limit to the amount of possessions one can have?

Now as you can imagine, having so much power can go to any ones head...and I am no exception! During my combat rolls I was using close to ten dice per strength and will test. Heres the second question: Can I use as many item, artifact and asset cards that boost my stats as I want? Or is there a rule that specifies otherwise?

Thanks in advance to everyone thats willing to clear this up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, there's a rule that states you can only use one asset to boost stats during combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelle E
Estonia
Rakvere
Lääne-Virumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An investigator can use only one card effect that provides a skill bonus during each test. If he has multiple card effects that provide a bonus, he uses the highest bonus. Page 12 in rule book.
You can own as many cards as you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there - hah - we experienced the same thing. We were playing with a team of 3 and at one point one of players had like 5 items and 4 spells plus they had improved their skill by +4. So we had one guy rolling like 12 dice . Now after rereading the rules we found you are limited in both - using only 1 effect and improving a skill by 2 at most.

Still very fun and we are looking forward to playing again without supercharged guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calvin chow
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other rule that I missed in my early plays was using additional actions as "free"... From the FAQ..

QQ. Can an investigator’s “additional” action be used to perform an action he has already performed in that round?
A. No. An investigator may perform an action only once each round, even if he is able to perform an additional action, such as from the Ruby of R’lyeh Artifact or Charlie Kane’s action ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balazs Puspok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought that only one weapon bonus is possible, but ally assets or spells/ artifacts etc. That makes things hard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
Calildur wrote:
I always thought that only one weapon bonus is possible, but ally assets or spells/ artifacts etc. That makes things hard

Anything with a "+" on it is restricted to 1.

But you can also stack as many items that allow you to re-roll on top of that. This includes clue & focus tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use only ONE + bonus (as written on the card, like +2 Strength). Even if they are different types like allies, or spells or weapons, you can still just use one.

You can use any number of different effects like re-rolling dice. Effects written as add additional dice are cumulative and separate from + effects.

It generally comes down to:

Base Stat + Improvement + Highest Plus Bonus + Additional Dice effects

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balazs Puspok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, of I have a +5 rifle, a kerosene, a +1 hired muscle, and a wither spell and a +2 improve strength bonus. I can only use the rifle and the improvement? What about the kerosene and the wither spell?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Muller
South Africa
Stellenbosch
Western Cape
flag msg tools
even if it's not
badge
I have a cunning plan that cannot fail.
mbmbmbmbmb
Calildur wrote:
So, of I have a +5 rifle, a kerosene, a +1 hired muscle, and a wither spell and a +2 improve strength bonus. I can only use the rifle and the improvement?

Yes. The hired muscle's re-roll is still available even though you can't use the stength bonus he provides.

Quote:
What about the kerosene and the wither spell?

They provide no extra bonus. You would probably want to trade them to other investigators, although you may want to keep the spell to deal with annoying monster immunities. Casting wither, even though you're not going to use the bonus, could be useful when dealing with those mysteries that require spells being cast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Good
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played it that it's worth having a few weapons as:

1)some can only be used once i.e. kerosene needs to be discarded post use

and

2)some can only be used once per combat round i.e. .45 Revolver states something like "+2 once per combat round" (as opposed to the .45 automatic which states something like "+2 per combat encounter")

There are only a few weapons (barring swords and daggers) that can be used on every monster if you encounter more than one monster on a location.

Compare the two .45s and you'll see a subtle difference which makes the .45 auto a better choice

Pip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.